Question RT-198p Trim Gauge

I have a 2018 RT-198p with a 1504S Merc. that I got late last fall, I got about 7 hours on it before putting it up for winter. I would like to put a trim gauge on it. I looked under the dash for the Merc. trim sender wire ( brown with white stripe) but it was not there. Only loose wire was a lite red wire with a Purple stripe! Motor has the trim sender on it with 3 wires coming out of it ( red,black,white ) plugged into (yellow,purple/black stripe,black/green strip). Those wires go into the elect. control box. I do see a brown/white strip in the wire group leaving the motor heading towards the dash. Does anyone know what the wire colors are on the trim gauge in a RT-188 ? Where can I hind the Merc. trim sender wire, could it be around the throttle control box?

2. BBC SPONSOR
    Mine has a trim gauge. I wonder why yours does not? strange. When I get home tonight, I will look and see what kind of info I can get ya off of mine.
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Do you have a MercMonitor by chance instead of a trim gauge.

4. Member
    NO my boat does not have a mercmonitor in it , it is a 198p not a 188. my 2013 rt188 had a trim gauge but new boat does not have one. I like trim gauges so I can look to see where the motor is trimmed at what angle.

5. Member
    I would highly recommend installing a mercmonitor, it’ll show you just about any info you would possibly want! I just finished installing one on my Rt198p.

6. Member
    I have a Evinrude E-tec G1 on my 198 so mercmonitor would not work for me.

7. Member
    Completely agree on the Mercmonitor (Level 1)...exactly what I did on my 198. Get in touch with European Marine (board sponsor) and they can hook you right up.
    2018 Ranger RT198P
    Mercury 150 4-Stroke

8. Member
    not looking to put a mercmonitor in boat , I just want to install a trim gauge. I'm just asking for info. on where I can find the trim wire lead from the trim sender on the motor! I will be adding the gauge in a gauge holder mounted on the side of the console.

9. Member
    I added a gauge to my pontoon , it was a brown and white wire. hooked it to the new gauge and worked perfect. It was under the dash in a bunch if wires have to look hard
    LIFE IS GOOD
    STILL CAN'T CATCH A FISH.

10. Member
    the brown /white under dash on this ranger are part of the live well pump system and hooked to there rocker switches.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lineman42 View Post
    the brown /white under dash on this ranger are part of the live well pump system and hooked to there rocker switches.
    Don't know it was brown and white on my pontoon. You can always run a new wire from your trim motor
    LIFE IS GOOD
    STILL CAN'T CATCH A FISH.

Quote Originally Posted by lineman42 View Post
    I have a 2018 RT-198p with a 1504S Merc. that I got late last fall, I got about 7 hours on it before putting it up for winter. I would like to put a trim gauge on it. I looked under the dash for the Merc. trim sender wire ( brown with white stripe) but it was not there. Only loose wire was a lite red wire with a Purple stripe! Motor has the trim sender on it with 3 wires coming out of it ( red,black,white ) plugged into (yellow,purple/black stripe,black/green strip). Those wires go into the elect. control box. I do see a brown/white strip in the wire group leaving the motor heading towards the dash. Does anyone know what the wire colors are on the trim gauge in a RT-188 ? Where can I hind the Merc. trim sender wire, could it be around the throttle control box?
    I know this is a old posting,but did you ever find out which wire was the signal wire for the trim and tilt on your RT198P? I have the same set-up as you.
    I was told the Brown with the White tracer, but that is for an additional Live Well pump. I tested it for both Ohm and Voltage when trimming the motor, but nothing changed.
    I too am wanting to install a trim and tilt gauge, but can't find anything on it.
    Thanks!

13. Member
    I feel your pain, I searched my Tracker many times over looking for the trim signal wire... IIRC my signal wire changed colors right at the large round plug at the center of the picture. I pulled it apart enough to see the brown/white wire on the engine side connect to a wire that was not brown/white headed toward the console. I cant recall what color it was but once I discovered what color to look for at the console I was able to find it.

Not that yours is the same issue but may not hurt to check.
    20180804_122819.jpg
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

14. Member
    I think it was purple, brown with white stripe and maybe black on my rt178. They might be in one of the bundle of wires it is a tight fit and hard to see the wires under the console

15. Member
    If you take the motor cover off in the front lower part of the motor is a plastic cover with some stickers on it. Pop that plastic piece off and behind there is where the trim sender connects into the wires from the gauge you might be able to tell if you have the wiring needed. That might be easier than looking under the console, I had to replace my sender on a rt178.

16. Member
    Not a great picture but you can see the colors.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks, but on the RT198P with the 150 PRO XS (4S) it is as Lineman42 described (yellow,purple/black stripe,black/green strip) coming off the trim indicator, but up under the console, I can not find that bundle of wires.
    It is not the Brown with a White tracer on the RT198P. That wire is for an additional Live Well Pump on the RT198P.
    Thank you for the quick responses.
    Not sure what Ranger did on their wiring. Can't find anything for a Wiring Diagram on the RT198P that shows a wire run from the motor to the console that indicates a trim / tilt indicator.

Last edited by Mechanic Bob; 07-30-2019 at 05:47 AM. Reason: misspelled words

18. Member
    Do you really think there would be a continuous run direct from trim sender to the console? My little 60hp has a large cable from engine to console, and for some reason where that cable makes connection under the cowling the trim wire changes color (brown/white one side of the connection but not on the other)... I realize you dont have the same boat or engine but read through post #13, you may have a similar situation.
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

Found out you need an adapter cable and special connections. Not worth the time, money or effort. You would think that Ranger would include this wiring if the Boat sales wanted to add the trim gauge option, seeing how the sending unit is on the motor. Oh well, I guess I'll just keep the voltage gauge there instead.

Ordered and received the adapter cable, installed it and the gauge, and works like a charm. Thank you Lineman42 for the information.