2001 Johnson wont stay running in gear

I have a 2001 Johnson, model # RJ150PLSIG, Serial # G 04934813. Its 150HP. Carburated. On a 2001 Javelin Renegade 19. Im running 4 blade renegade bass prop. With 6in TH Hi Jacker.
    My issue is when i put the motor in gear forward or reverse and push hotfoot the motor dies. I have noticed that my primer bulb will not stay hard for more than 2 minutes after primed. It goes back soft. I know this is an issue but is it my only issue im having with motor dying when i give it gas? Any help will be appreciated thank you.
    Dustin Davis
    Fish the days no one else wants to!!

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Dual tanks? Single tank? Does it do it on both tanks? May be the anti siphon valve on the tank. Possibly the primer bulb bad. Replace it with a BRP only primer bulb, 3/8" yellow ends.. Also verify your throttle setting per the sticky link above 60* timing.

3. Member
    Its is a single 38 gal. tank. I know for sure the primer bulb is bad. After i prime it i can go thru the starting and dying process maybe 2 or 3 times and go back and the primer bulb is back soft. Could this be what is making it die when i put it in gear and start to press hotfoot.
    Dustin Davis

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Yep and the linkages may be out of whack

5. Member
    But in your opinion i dnt have issue where my motor is junk and would have to be rebuilt or anything based on what ive described to that its doing? I just bought the boat and both times ive had it out its done this but i was able to keep it running a couple of times to open it up and it comes out of the hole great and gets on plane quickly and gets up to 55 to 58mph as i feel it should. But then when i shut it down the next time i try start it its subject to not go. After it starts and throw it in gear and touch hotfoot it dies.
    Dustin Davis

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    No the motor is not junk and never insinuated that it was. 1st thing to do would be to knock out the anti siphon valve coming out of the fuel tank, the BB and spring and lock up on you and not provide sufficient fuel flow. Next replace the bulb and fuel line from the tank to the motor. Next would be to check these adjustments http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=11790 we see this issue alot in engines that have a hot foot installed . Your motor has to have the throttle plates and timing advancing at the same time. While checking out the adjustment make sure you clear sleeve is over the throttle roller. If not it needs to be replaced. Perform this first and then post back. Also remove and inpect the fuel fillter that goes into the vapor tank behind the airbox check for debris.

7. Member
    Thank you very much sir. And no i was not saying you insinuated motor was junk. I am just scared that i just paid $8k for bad motor. Thank you so much for your input i will do these things and post bak
    Dustin Davis

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

8. Member
    I have a 2004 Johnson 150. The first year I had it it gave me fits like what you are describing. Mine would start but die every time you put it in gear. After four trips back to the dealer who sold it to me they found out the problem. The fuel line was getting pinched off where it runs up in the motor. They also changed the fuel line out to a molded case type. Might be worth checking out. Mine hasn’t acted up since they replaced it.

9. Member
    You need the real OMC service manual for your motor, it will be a great help. Several things can cause your problem, ChampioNman has given you a place to start, answer his questions fully and follow his instructions.

10. Member
    Where would i acquire a real OMC servuce manual for my motor and how much are they? And thank you guys for your input. I am very nervous about this issue. This is a new to me boat and im scared to death i made a bad buy.
    Dustin Davis

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DustyD26 View Post
    Where would i acquire a real OMC servuce manual for my motor and how much are they? And thank you guys for your input. I am very nervous about this issue. This is a new to me boat and im scared to death i made a bad buy.
    You really should look at the Stickies on the top of this forum, we put them there for a reason! You can order an online service manual for around $15.00 in a PDF format or you can see if you can find one on EBAY. You can also order a hard copy of the manual from www.outboardbooks.com

12. Member
    Do i get manual based on my motor model # or what? I am new to all this? Im sorry if im asking stupid questions or questions that can be answered by stickies but i wouldnt know what im reading if i did. Again sry.
    Dustin Davis

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

13. Member
    Your model number or by the year. Your model number posted is a 2001 motor.

14. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Although your motor is a 2001 this manual will work for you. The only difference in the model years is the engine cover design.
    https://www.selffixer.com/outboard.m...ual.520210.htm click on the link and it will take you to the site to purchase.

15. Member
    Thank you ChampioNman. Sry if ive been frustrating. Again i am new to this and just want to get my motor running right
    Dustin Davis

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9