Thread: ultrex question

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ultrex question

if my speed dial is on say 3 and i am on spot lock and the wind picks up will the ultex automatically speed up to hold the boat in place,i was in 20 mph wind today and mine would not stay locked in place,but it seems in calmer winds its fine thanks

2. Member
    Was it kicking out of spotlock, or just not holding close to the spot?
    Wes

3. Member
    well it seemed like when the wind was around 20 mph it would keep searching for the spot if i remember right,but if its windy do you need to turn your speed dial up higher or will it do it on its own
    Last edited by buster502; 02-20-2018 at 08:39 PM.

4. Member
    Is the heading sensor installed and calibrated? What type boat, you may need to adjust boat scale?
    Wes

5. Member
    i just done the set up and done the heading sensor and calibrated it,ranger r83

6. Member
    In high winds, increasing the boat scale can help a lot. That's what I do in higher than normal wind or current.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

7. Member
    Try setting the boat scale to +1. It doesn't use the speed setting on the foot pedal.
    Wes

8. Member
    i will check that thanks
    Last edited by buster502; 02-21-2018 at 03:30 AM.

9. Member
    Is changing the boat scale something you do with the remote ?

10. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    What is the purpose of boat scale?
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

11. Member
    It tries to match the amount of thrust needed to move the boat to the size and weight of your boat. It helps prevent throwing you out when it kicks on and helps prevent blowing by your anchor point.

FWIW
    2000 STRATOS 20SS EXTREME
    2011 EVINRUDE ETEC 250 HO
    HELIX 10 AND 12 SI
    10' BLADES
    ULTREX/ I PILOT LINK
    HUMMINBIRD 360

Another thing... It's real easy to hit the pedal without realizing it and turning off spot lock.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter35745 View Post
    Is changing the boat scale something you do with the remote ?
    Yes. The way I describe boat scale is... when it is set at it's lowest setting (-2), the motor will use a low amount of prop speed (at first) to make adjustments since the lowest setting means a smaller/lighter boat. In heavy winds or current, this can make the boat drift a ways from a spot lock position because of starting off as this low speed before it finally ramps up to the needed speed to get you back. So most of the time, the motor is working to get you back to the spot (slowly), but finally realizes it's still loosing ground and kicks into a higher speed. If you adjust the setting higher (-1, 0, +1, or +2) each higher setting is telling the motor, this boat is bigger or heavier so it needs to start off with a little more thrust to get the same amount of movement it would take to slightly move a smaller/lighter boat. It seems to start up with a little more force the higher you set it and in turn, the ramping thrust will be stronger/quicker because it started off stronger. So... if the wind is blowing you too far away and then the motor finally ramps up high to get you back, increasing boat scale will probably help.

On the other side of things... if the motor is shooting you past your spot lock constantly and then readjusting over and over, it is probably because your boat scale is set too high and you need to lower the setting. The default setting is 0 from the factory. I use -1 or -2 on my 20ft fish and ski boat 90% of the time, but I have needed to increase it on extreme days/conditions. Hope this helps.

Joe
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

14. Member
    Following this thread. Thank you. Great information!

Great explanation from akaslyguy.
    As mentioned by some-- the foot pedal speed dial has NO bearing on how fast or slow the prop turns when using spot lock. I have heard several people talk about making sure to have the dial turned down so it does not throw you out.. The speed dial does not control the speed when the GPS is adjusting.
    Also as mentioned it is very easy to inadvertently take it off spot lock by touching anything on the pedal or the remote.

16. Member
    Great thread. I used my Ultrex the first time Saturday and its da bomb....
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

17. Member
    seems like the adjustment step should have been on that heading and on the water set up,i did not see it in the manual,thanks bbc guys for the information

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by akaslyguy View Post
    Yes. The way I describe boat scale is... when it is set at it's lowest setting (-2), the motor will use a low amount of prop speed (at first) to make adjustments since the lowest setting means a smaller/lighter boat. In heavy winds or current, this can make the boat drift a ways from a spot lock position because of starting off as this low speed before it finally ramps up to the needed speed to get you back. So most of the time, the motor is working to get you back to the spot (slowly), but finally realizes it's still loosing ground and kicks into a higher speed. If you adjust the setting higher (-1, 0, +1, or +2) each higher setting is telling the motor, this boat is bigger or heavier so it needs to start off with a little more thrust to get the same amount of movement it would take to slightly move a smaller/lighter boat. It seems to start up with a little more force the higher you set it and in turn, the ramping thrust will be stronger/quicker because it started off stronger. So... if the wind is blowing you too far away and then the motor finally ramps up high to get you back, increasing boat scale will probably help.

On the other side of things... if the motor is shooting you past your spot lock constantly and then readjusting over and over, it is probably because your boat scale is set too high and you need to lower the setting. The default setting is 0 from the factory. I use -1 or -2 on my 20ft fish and ski boat 90% of the time, but I have needed to increase it on extreme days/conditions. Hope this helps.

Joe
    Excellent explaination. We need you over on the Lowrance forum to explain stuff in 'English' I can understand easier.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Heethen View Post
    Excellent explaination. We need you over on the Lowrance forum to explain stuff in 'English' I can understand easier.
    I used to be..... but switched to Humminbird Mega units last year. I still like to look in and keep up with what's going on from time to time... but now I'm an outsider
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

20. Member
    i fished today in about 15 mph wind,i ended up setting mine on +2 (boat scale) seemed a lot better
    Last edited by buster502; 02-27-2018 at 07:55 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast