Went from 19 to 21 and lost hole shot

Went from an aluminium 19P to SS Laser II 21P. Lost some hole shot but gained about 3-4mph top end. I understand there are trades offs, but is there anything I can do to gain the hole shot back?

2. Member
    Try to find a 20" pitch prop you can borrow to split the difference.

3. Member
    The laser II should have PVS holes and plugs in it. If it does you may need to increase plug sizes in the prop.

4. Member
    You might try a 19" Laser II. You pick up speed just going to stainless.
    Venting the prop can help. If this is the laser II with the rectangular slots, someone will need to drill PVS holes in it for adjustable venting.
    Even though you picked up speed, make sure your motor is running near the top of the RPM range, so you are not lugging the motor.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    You might try a 19" Laser II. You pick up speed just going to stainless.
    Venting the prop can help. If this is the laser II with the rectangular slots, someone will need to drill PVS holes in it for adjustable venting.
    Even though you picked up speed, make sure your motor is running near the top of the RPM range, so you are not lugging the motor.
    Thanks. I'm good on the RPMs. 5800 at WOT.

6. Member
    If it will turn that many rpm's at WOT it needs more venting on take off and that's what the PVS system was invented for so if it has PVS holes increase the size of the plug holes. Your trying to reach 3500-4000 rpm's at take off.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    If it will turn that many rpm's at WOT it needs more venting on take off and that's what the PVS system was invented for so if it has PVS holes increase the size of the plug holes. Your trying to reach 3500-4000 rpm's at take off.
    I checked and do have PVS holes, however 2 have nothing in them and one has one that looks to be about 1/2" diameter.

8. Member
    Any idea how many rpm's your turning at break over? You still have a plug to pull. What motor do you have?

9. Member
    Any idea how many rpm's your turning at break over? You still have a plug to pull. What motor do you have?
    What is break over? It is a 90HP Mercury 2 Stroke Optimax

10. Member
    Break over = take off in your case

11. Member
    Break over = take off in your case
    I went out today and from a dead stop, with max throttle the boat came on plane at 4800 RPM after about 5-6 seconds.

12. Member
    Are you still running two open one hole with a large plug? Your trying to get your take off rpm's in the range of 3500-4000 so I'd say you have too much venting now. Does the prop blow out any now.

13. Member
    Are you still running two open one hole with a large plug? Your trying to get your take off rpm's in the range of 3500-4000 so I'd say you have too much venting now. Does the prop blow out any now.
    Yes two open and 1 large plug. I've got some PVS plugs on order that should be here by the weekend. Bought closed, small and medium size. What do you think would be the best configuration?

14. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mastergun View Post
    Yes two open and 1 large plug. I've got some PVS plugs on order that should be here by the weekend. Bought closed, small and medium size. What do you think would be the best configuration?
    Start by replacing the one plug that has 1/2” opening with a solid plug. Decrease venting a little at a time (that is, add more plugging) until you get to 3800 or so when the bow starts to level out.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

15. Member
    I sent my 21P Laser II to Mark Croxton and he added cup. What a difference that made. My PVS holes are wide open. Picked up speed and hole shot was much better.
    2019 Skeeter ZX225

16. Member
    Did you buy any large ones or just small, medium and solid? Leave the large plug in and put one medium in an open hole.