Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Short Power cable from TM to battery? Now what?

Just installed my new MK Powerdrive. All went well....except the damn power cable from the TM to battery is too short! its only like 3 or 4 feet!

So im planning to put my batteries at my bow like in this MikeyBalzz video (Jump to 5:45 mark if it doesnt automatically do it ). Prolly not ideal....but my boat is heavy to one side (the side I sit on....im fat lol) and I wanna try this out as a possible solution....and since itll make my life easier. Back of the boat is a cramped mess...so this helps aleviate that a bit.

Anyway....The motor was going to be in close proximity to the batteries, so lengthening wires was never in my plans. What do I need to do? Do I need to splice a longer wire to make up the distance? Going to be buying batteries, and jumper wire tomorrow....going to a battery shop thats supposed to have all wiring needs covered. So if I need to get more wire/supplies im sure I can come about it....just hate having to do this for how damn expensive these TM's already are! Thanks guys!

2. Member
    The power wires from the motor should just go to the bow. There they should be plugged to a receptacle that is connected to the wires from the batteries. Some boats have a terminal to allow for hardworking the motor. Good luck.
    Wes

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D Dad View Post
    The power wires from the motor should just go to the bow. There they should be plugged to a receptacle that is connected to the wires from the batteries. Some boats have a terminal to allow for hardworking the motor. Good luck.
    No receptacle...was planning to hard wire (i think thats the term) them directly to the batteries. Not using a circuit breaker....I am gonna order one, but dont think Ill install before my first trip/test run next week. Is extending the wires normal standard....or is this a really small cable that came with this TM?

4. Member
    Boat wires are supposed to be from the batteries to the bow. Gonna send you a pm.
    Wes

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bockscar View Post
    No receptacle...was planning to hard wire (i think thats the term) them directly to the batteries. Not using a circuit breaker....I am gonna order one, but dont think Ill install before my first trip/test run next week. Is extending the wires normal standard....or is this a really small cable that came with this TM?
    Bad things will happen! You mention that you will hardwire the electrical to the Trolling motor, that is OK but for me I want to be sure there is no way for the motor to run when I put the cover on and for personal protection. Not using a circuit breaker is just plain stupid! If you Trolling motor fails you will have a fire in the gunnel of your boat where the TM cables are. I had a fire once and wasn’t fun putting it out and it was a mess until I sold it, the insulation on the cables will heat up, touch those an you will have a material similar to Napalm on you hand with no way to get it off. Just do it right and maybe save a life or at least save your boat.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D Dad View Post
    Boat wires are supposed to be from the batteries to the bow. Gonna send you a pm.
    got it. just settled in right now. sorry.

im placing the batteries at the front of the boat in one of the storage hatches/rod locker. Check that video and jump to the 5:45 mark to see exactly what im talking about doing. I know its not ideal, and I understand boat balance for max speed and things like that....but my boats very uneven when im in it alone (99% of the time) and hope this battery placement help that.

Quote Originally Posted by STRETCH1 View Post
    Bad things will happen! You mention that you will hardwire the electrical to the Trolling motor, that is OK but for me I want to be sure there is no way for the motor to run when I put the cover on and for personal protection. Not using a circuit breaker is just plain stupid! If you Trolling motor fails you will have a fire in the gunnel of your boat where the TM cables are. I had a fire once and wasn’t fun putting it out and it was a mess until I sold it, the insulation on the cables will heat up, touch those an you will have a material similar to Napalm on you hand with no way to get it off. Just do it right and maybe save a life or at least save your boat.
    I understand the purpose of the circuit breaker and the risks you run. Im gonna be mostly on open water, and carry a fire extinguisher. I still havent ordered the circuit breaker but had planned to this week, or might get it at that battery shop if available. Prolly wont be able to install for another couple weeks, but there will be a circuit breaker installed w/in the next month. Also havent fished since early december.....so im definitely willing to risk it. Bought the boat in September and its done more sitting than anything this winter.

There would never be a fire in the gunnel since there will be no (active) trolling motor wires anywhere in the area since Im placing my batteries in the front of the boat.

7. Member
    I understand the purpose of the circuit breaker and the risks you run. Im gonna be mostly on open water, and carry a fire extinguisher. I still havent ordered the circuit breaker but had planned to this week, or might get it at that battery shop if available. Prolly wont be able to install for another couple weeks, but there will be a circuit breaker installed w/in the next month. Also havent fished since early december.....so im definitely willing to risk it. Bought the boat in September and its done more sitting than anything this winter.

There would never be a fire in the gunnel since there will be no (active) trolling motor wires anywhere in the area since Im placing my batteries in the front of the boat.
    Does anybody besides me see an accident waiting to happen in this post. Get the breaker before you go out. Batteries can bounce, wires move, you never know what's going to happen in a battery compartment. Fire is not something you want, especially in open water.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    Does anybody besides me see an accident waiting to happen in this post. Get the breaker before you go out. Batteries can bounce, wires move, you never know what's going to happen in a battery compartment. Fire is not something you want, especially in open water.
    Yep. A fire extinguisher won't do anything with shorted wires. If a short happens the terminals will instantly be glowing orange and too hot to mess with. Once the insulation melts, the positive wire will arc a hole in the boat. At least that will put out the fire.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

9. Member
    Sorry for the slight highjack. Everyone is making reference to using a breaker. I use a fuse. Is this a safety issue?

Thanks Doger123

10. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodger123 View Post
    Sorry for the slight highjack. Everyone is making reference to using a breaker. I use a fuse. Is this a safety issue?

Thanks Doger123
    No difference. Just need something to open the circuit quickly if something goes wrong
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

11. Banned
    Hey guys. Just got a circuit breaker in last night.

Wires from trolling motor are too short to reach the circuit breaker.

How do I lengthen my wires so that it reaches the circuit breaker? Thanks.

12. Banned

13. Member
    Any reason why you don't get long enough power cables to go from batteries to trolling motor?

14. Member

You go from the positive battery terminal and within 12 to 15" of the terminal you put the breaker. Then you go from that breaker to the trolling motor wiring. Either connect the battery wires to a junction block with the trolling motor wires or use a plug to make the connection. If the wires from the battery are too short -- get longer wires.
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    [/SIGPIC]

The reason the wires from the trolling motor are short is because they are not designed to carry that much current any farther.
    Your battery placement might not be as far as most boats -- but you still need some heavy gauge wire from the batteries to a bow connection. My advice is to do it right the first time. Otherwise it's just an incident waiting for an opportunity.
    Last edited by fishnfireman; 02-21-2018 at 01:02 PM.

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    You go from the positive battery terminal and within 12 to 15" of the terminal you put the breaker. Then you go from that breaker to the trolling motor wiring. Either connect the battery wires to a junction block with the trolling motor wires or use a plug to make the connection. If the wires from the battery are too short -- get longer wires.
    John
    So now the junction block has me confused. I got the MK 60 amp circuit breaker, and thought I was ready to go.

Im guessing this is what you mean? Something like it(the double post one)?
    https://www.delcity.net/store/Stud-T...SABEgLy4_D_BwE

My original plan after googling yesterday was this...use jumper wire to connect battery 1 & 2 first....then butt splice (saw it on trollingmotors.net) both wires from trolling motor to lengthen the wires to amount needed...then connect Red/positive from TM to circuit breaker and run wire from other post on circuit breaker to positive on battery 1....then connect black/negative to negative on battery 2.

Is that a doable plan? After googling for another couple hours to try and clear the junction block part up....im guessing the junction block is to avoid/substitute for any splicing. So im thinking I attach TM positive, and negative to each separate post....and then run the additional wire from those posts as well? So instead of splicing the extensions run off the junction block?

Am I right? Sorry for seeming so dense....its just my first boat. I have 0 experience in boats, and have only done a few jobs with relatives electric related....and I was basically a go-for! lol So electrical....and boat repair dont come naturally to me unfortunately. Thanks for you all giving me a hard time about the circuit breaker....I will listen if its good advice/directions...thats for sure! If im right about the junction block....I'd love to do it. But im not sure I can source that locally (cabelas doesnt have it, checked already)....and my impatience might have me just go with a butt splice.

You think I can pick up a junction block at a stereo installation store? I read a recommendation about getting the 6 guage wiring from there. What do you all think?

Thanks!

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    The reason the wires from the trolling motor are short is because they are not designed to carry that much current any farther.
    Your battery placement might not be as far as most boats -- but you still need some heavy gauge wire from the batteries to a bow connection. My advice is to do it right the first time. Otherwise it's just an incident waiting for an opportunity.
    got it through my thick skull! lol I have the MK 60 amp breaker in my possession now and will be installing it!

I still think with a brand new TM and brand new batteries...I couldve made a few trips without too much worry.....but if you know me like I know myself....I have the ABSOLUTE WORST LUCK EVER! If theres even a tiny chance of something bad happening to me.....im that tiny percent it happens too! LMAO

thanks for the words bros!

18. Member
    To get back to basics, the trolling motor wires do not need to be extended. They are the correct size to carry the right current to that trolling motor. Normally, you need larger wires, depending on the run length and size of trolling motor, to go from the battery to the trolling motor. The junction block is to there to make a connection that can be removed if needed - it's a substitution for a plug. A normal circuit is: positive wire from battery to breaker, breaker to junction, junction to positive trolling motor. Ground from trolling battery to junction, from junction to trolling motor. If it's a 24V or a 36V circuit, multilple batteries are used, the ground and positive come off the "end" batteries and jumpers are placed inbetween the batteries going from positive to negative making a series circuit.
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

19. Banned
    ordering some cable online since I couldnt find 8 guage or 6 guage in stock at NAPA or any other truck shop.

Wanna order it all at one spot...but cant find the junction block....will this work as a substitute? Im assuming its the exact same thing...just 2 pieces?

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/sea-...inal-post.html
    or
    https://www.amazon.com/Positive-Insu...70_&dpSrc=srch

ordering some cable online since I couldnt find 8 guage or 6 guage in stock at NAPA or any other truck shop.

Wanna order it all at one spot...but cant find the junction block....will this work as a substitute? Im assuming its the exact same thing...just 2 pieces?

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/sea-...inal-post.html
    or
    https://www.amazon.com/Positive-Insu...70_&dpSrc=srch
    Maybe this diagram will help

The diagram shows a 40-Amp breaker, you will use your 60-Amp. Then, use the junction box going positive battery cable to red motor wire, and negative battery cable to black motor wire. Make sure you get yourself some connectors to crimp onto the wire so that you can connect the battery cables (2 connectors) and motor wires (2 connectors). Also the connectors (crimp terminals) need to be the right size for the size of wire they are going to be crimped to. You will need a tool to crimp the terminals to the battery cables and motor wires. Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sam Dunaway
    2005 Triton TR-21X