Good reel for big hands

Hey guys,

I'm a big shimano fan and own a few Curado I baitcasters. I'm looking at purchasing a few more reels and was checking out the new Curado K at the fishing show and couldn't help but notice how small the reel felt compared to my current ones. It looks as though most manufacturers are going the smaller/lighter route which is making long days of fishing more uncomfortable for me. After holding many reels at the show I really liked how the Daiwa reels felt in my hand. The Tatula wasn't tiny like the Curado K and i'm seriously considering buying one to try. Just curious as to what you guys with big hands use out there??

2. Banned
    I dont have big hands, but can fish all over the spectrum. I use Shimano 50E reels, all the way to Daiwa TD Zillion and Shimano Calcutta reels. Daiwa Fuego CT is a great choice for a all around use.

3. Member
    The Curado/Chronarch E's are bigger reels, or feel that way in hand. I have bigger hands and the 50 size shimanos always felt like a toy to me. I like my E series but dont find the K's to feel extremely small
    They aint got hands, set the hook

4. Member
    I have pretty big hands and I have some low profile reels but the ones that are in my hands the most.....my jig and worms rods.......have a 100 series Calcutta on them.

5. Member
    I don't have any problems using Shimano's with my big hands; and my hands are huge. Maybe I've just gotten used to it. I'm not calling you out or anything like that. If you can find a Core 101 on Ebay, maybe go for that. To me, that's the most practical "big" reel from Shimano. I mean, it's not huge by any means, but I feel like it's bigger than anything Shimano currently produces. But if you feel like the Daiwa's fit better then definitely go for that.

If you want you could get one of the original Tatula TWS. They are a bigger frame than the current Tatula CT. Should be able to pick one up for pretty cheap now that they are discontinued.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBass94 View Post
    I don't have any problems using Shimano's with my big hands; and my hands are huge. Maybe I've just gotten used to it. I'm not calling you out or anything like that. If you can find a Core 101 on Ebay, maybe go for that. To me, that's the most practical "big" reel from Shimano. I mean, it's not huge by any means, but I feel like it's bigger than anything Shimano currently produces. But if you feel like the Daiwa's fit better then definitely go for that.
    I have no complaints about my Curado I's at the moment although my hand does get sore after a day of whipping spinnerbaits around for 8+ hours. I'm thinking about trying a New Chronarch MGL as they seem to be larger than the new Curado K's.

8. Member
    For large hands maybe look at round reels like the Shimano Calcutta or the older style Abu Garcia reels.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Car_nut15 View Post
    I have no complaints about my Curado I's at the moment although my hand does get sore after a day of whipping spinnerbaits around for 8+ hours. I'm thinking about trying a New Chronarch MGL as they seem to be larger than the new Curado K's.
    Yes check the Chronarchs out bigger reels and light for size.