Sportmaster capacity?

So, I had what I am assuming was a blown shift shaft seal. Changed the lower oil and had a very slight amount of water in it. Just enough to turn the oil slightly. Pulled the lower and there was gear oil all over the top of the water pump and up the drive shaft. Anyhow, I always let a few ounces run out after I fill it. I have a 2005 Mercury repair manual for my 225 Pro XS. Bought I off of ebay. It has the torque master and sportmaster in it. For the capacities for a sportmaster it has listed 28 ounces. One bottle of gear lube is 28 ounces. I usually put one and half bottles then, let several ounces drain back out. So, should I be putting like 34-38 ounces in it or just 28 like the merc repair manual says to do?

2. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    The Mercury gear oil I buy comes in 32oz bottles and I pump that into my gearcase. I think it actually hold like 38 oz if my memory serves me. But yes, my manual states 28 oz also. I used to pump til it puked then let about 4 or 5 oz drain back out so duh, I just pump in 32 now and call it a day.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

Due to the way the housing is cast-- You may never know what the true capacity of your particular LU is without draining -- then refill to vent and measure how much comes out. I have had some that took more than what Merc said and a couple that the same amount would overfill.
    Best thing to do is fill it-- then drain some off..
    If you make LONG hard runs you are going to push some shift shaft seals out.. Unless you invest in some after market fixes.

Seems like I have seen this topic here before but, couldn't find it in a search. The 32oz and done sounds like what I'm bout to start doing.

5. Member
    My older SM would take a 32 oz bottle and I would drain some off. My newer SM's will take about 38 or so oz's, I have still filled and drained some off but I think I am going to just start putting 28-32 oz's and call it a day.

I fill to 28oz and have never had a seal go after having the issue on my first sportsmaster 10 years ago.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

We all fought this battle on the 2.5 ltr's When I got the 3.2 ltr I was told they had fixed the problem...
    The one I have now is on it's 3rd shift shaft and second set of drive shaft seals.. The first was my fault for filling with what Merc called for. The second was for letting a shop change it and most likely did not drain any and I failed to make sure they did even after I told them to drain 5oz's.. The last one-- I don't know why.

8. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    I've gone through several sporty gear cases. Some were due to knocking a skeg off, some due to water intrusion from seals. I've done it both ways: filled to the vent hole and allow a couple ounces to drain and tried limiting the fluid to 28 oz. Nothing has ever worked. I still got blown shift shaft seals. I'm trying some new aftermarket seals designed by someone who has a lot of racing experience. Also, I recently found out about the newer amber 85W-90 gear lube that should be used in our sportmasters. (Merc changed over to this around 2013). The newer gear lube is supposed to handle heat better - don't mix it with the High Performance Gear (green) lube. If you use the High Performance Gear lube in a sporty, get rid of it. It may be contributing to the problem.

9. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    Ironically Duane, I never had an issue with any of my sporty's til I filled the first time with the new Racing gear lube. Go figure. This is what I had installed last fall while I was at Hartwell. Only ran it for the 2 weeks there and have not drained it since then.

https://madefi.com/shop?olsFocus=fal...c-2993d4ce101e
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

10. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    Ironically Duane, I never had an issue with any of my sporty's til I filled the first time with the new Racing gear lube. Go figure. This is what I had installed last fall while I was at Hartwell. Only ran it for the 2 weeks there and have not drained it since then.

https://madefi.com/shop?olsFocus=fal...c-2993d4ce101e
    Same kit I just had put in my new sporty. Keep me posted on how the seals are working!

12. BBC SPONSOR
    Mine will hold 38 oz, i put a 32 oz bottle in it and call it good, my service manual calls for 28 oz. I switched to the newer racing oil when I rebuilt the gearcase (broke forward gear) at the end of 2016. Knock on wood, no issuse with long runs.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0