Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    How often do you do your 6.7 oil change , I do mine at 5,000 miles .

check with your dealers. my local dealer does all ford diesel lube iol and filter for $83 out the door. i'v always been a do it myself guy but it cost right at $90 just to buy oil and oil filter plus the hassle of disposal of waste oil. so the dealer is a no brainer for me.
    xb-21 prosport 225 pro xs

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skewby View Post
    check with your dealers. my local dealer does all ford diesel lube iol and filter for $83 out the door. i'v always been a do it myself guy but it cost right at $90 just to buy oil and oil filter plus the hassle of disposal of waste oil. so the dealer is a no brainer for me.
    Good call I will do that.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LTZ25 View Post
    How often do you do your 6.7 oil change , I do mine at 5,000 miles .
    My service manual says to go by the engine oil life monitor. It says to expect the indicator to go off between 7500 - 10k for normal operation.

With that said ill probably go with 5k since I dont drive many miles until its warmer weather.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    My service manual says to go by the engine oil life monitor. It says to expect the indicator to go off between 7500 - 10k for normal operation.
    With that said ill probably go with 5k since I dont drive many miles until its warmer weather.
    Oil life monitor is the way to go nowadays with the synthetics. Saves you quite a bit of money in the long run

Quote Originally Posted by skewby View Post
    Life is cheaper in Tenn !!!! I love that area , have my camper on Watts Bar .

I only use Motorcraft oil and filters in my truck. Oil change every 7500 miles and fuel filters every 15,000 miles. Just had complete service last week and paid $242 including tire rotation. Independent shop does the work but buys parts from local Ford dealer.

8. Member
    Definitely recommend OE filters, there are issues with cheap substitutes.
    And use the OE engine oil or one rated to meet Ford WSS-M2C171-F1.
    There are plenty of diesel engine oils on the market not meeting requirements.

Here’s a link to those products approved ... https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...SSM2C171F1.pdf

In respect to viscosity, the correct answer is actually 10W30. Especially in your area.
    It offers a wider range of desired temperature handling, better fuel economy, etc.

FYI, we’ve already released 5W30 FA-4 for heavy duty diesel operation.
    Things change and it’s always best to read your owner’s manual for information.

9. Member
    You might check the owners manual but I believe Ford recommends the lighter weight diesel engine oil for the 6.7L. The 10W30 is recommended for normal operating conditions and the 5W40 full synthetic is optional for severe duty uses.

10. Member
    Axkiker, did you change the fuel filter located in front of the fuel tank? It acts as a water separator also. Another thing, the manual says 15 quarts, and after a little research it looks like it is a miss print and should be 13 quarts. Just something to check into. I've read that on a couple of forums.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitt35 View Post
    You might check the owners manual but I believe Ford recommends the lighter weight diesel engine oil for the 6.7L. The 10W30 is recommended for normal operating conditions and the 5W40 full synthetic is optional for severe duty uses.
    Correct. Although 15W40 is acceptable (not recommended) for warmer climates.
    However, it will cost fuel economy and increase overall engine wear over time.
    These engines were specifically designed with lower viscosities usage in mind.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Machine Concepts View Post
    Axkiker, did you change the fuel filter located in front of the fuel tank? It acts as a water separator also. Another thing, the manual says 15 quarts, and after a little research it looks like it is a miss print and should be 13 quarts. Just something to check into. I've read that on a couple of forums.
    My manual says 13 Qt and when I bought the oil I had them look it up and they confirmed 13qt.. Ultimately I ended up with 15qt but it will be saved for something down the road.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    Correct. Although 15W40 is acceptable (not recommended) for warmer climates.
    However, it will cost fuel economy and increase overall engine wear over time.
    These engines were specifically designed with lower viscosities usage in mind.
    Here is recommended oil per the manual.....

15W-40 should be good for down to 20 degrees to beyond 100. 10W-30 from 0 degrees to beyond 100. 5W-40 down to 0 degrees and beyond 100. 0w-30/0W-40 below 0 and above 100.

It calls for severe duty use 5W-40 API- CJ-4

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Machine Concepts View Post
    I assume you mean the one on the frame ??? If so yes I did .

15. Member
    Got a 2013 F250 I drove off the lot, fully deleted it at 70,000, currently at 140,000 miles with no issues. I run Motorcraft filters (both oil and fuel) and Rotella T6 10w-30 changed every 7,500 miles. Planning to take this truck to at least 300,000. Had a leveling kit running 37's, but have since taken it back to stock height with 35s, getting about 17 mpg mixed driving.

16. Member
    Something I guess im missing here is why for the listing of multiple oils being acceptable. Such as the manual says I can use 5w40 10w30 15w40 and even 0w30. Seems according to the manual the difference between them is the temps which are are designed to be used. With that said something like a 5w40 overlaps and surpasses something like a 15w40 which has a low cutoff of 20 degrees.

Why not just list 5w40 or even 0w30 as they surpass the range of something like a 15w40 or 10w30.

17. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    I use 5W-40 full synthetic CJ4 in mine along with OEM filters

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Something I guess im missing here is why for the listing of multiple oils being acceptable. Such as the manual says I can use 5w40 10w30 15w40 and even 0w30. Seems according to the manual the difference between them is the temps which are are designed to be used. With that said something like a 5w40 overlaps and surpasses something like a 15w40 which has a low cutoff of 20 degrees.
    Why not just list 5w40 or even 0w30 as they surpass the range of something like a 15w40 or 10w30.
    There are acceptable viscosities and recommend viscosities.
    Motorcraft 10W30 is the factory fill. It’s a heavy duty oil, not passenger car.
    Everything is changing, or changed. Gear oil, transmission fluids, coolants, etc.
    Today’s lubricant technology is way beyond 20, 10 or even 5 years ago.

19. Banned
    I have one of the last 7.3 diesels and I use Motorcraft 15W40 dino oil from Walmart @ $18.47 per 5 quarts. It takes 15 quarts so I'm spending $55.50 plus $9.44 for an OEM Motorcraft oil filter. If I used one of the other brands, I'd be buying three 4 quart bottles and 3 individual quart bottles that are priced very high each.

I assume the 6.7 uses more or less oil, and a different oil filter. I've found Walmart to be far, far cheaper on oil than the big national auto parts chains. They are taking advantage of customers by pricing oil so much--especially when they buy the stuff by the train load at big discounts.

I'm low mileage and probably don't get around to changing the fuel filter but once ever 3 years. I have a Wix filter to put on the truck right now.

Motorcraft filters and any of the major oil companies oil will work fine. Rotella T-5 is good for 10/30. The Rotella T-6 synthetic 5/40 is very good as well. I run the Delo 5/40 synthetic and it performs very good as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12