Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Getting lower unit pressure tested

2008 Mercury Pro XS 225. 1B506554. Bringing the boat in to have the lower unit checked and making sure the DFI oil coming from the exhaust tuners is from winterizing. Called a shop today, they quoted me at pressure testing the lower unit and resealing it at 4 1/2 hours, which equates to $600+ parts. They said they would be putting in a new water pump as well. Is this a crazy amount or is it just me? Also, they said they would do a burn off of the carbon by injecting something into the engine and getting it hot. I don’t know what they meant by that but they said that would be another hour worth of labor. If talking about the prices aren’t allowed then I apologize. It seems like the amount of hours is a lot for the seals, and has anyone ever had the engine burn off thing done before?

2. Member
    That's outrageous. Find a new shop.

3. Member
    Did you change your lower unit oil after winterizing it? If so was it milky? If not, the oil is more than likely from winterizing it, or a lot of idling. You can make your own pressure gauge set up. Buy a blood pressure tester, like a doctor office uses. Cut the wrap / bladder off. Connect the tubbing to a fitting you would use to fill your lower unit with. The bulb you pump up with should have a vent. Thread the fitting into your lower unit and pump up to 7 to 10 and come back in 10 minutes to see if it has dropped more than 2 to 3%. You can also decarb yourself. Should change plugs after that is done. Other than that, $600 probably is close with the cost of labor and parts. If no seal is needed, then you’re looking at the $200 range. I bet that is what it a be. Plus piece of mind. Good luck
    Charley
    2019 Phoenix 919 PRO XP
    225 pro XS 4 stroke mercury 24p fury
    model # 12250033A
    motor serial # 2B599078

4. Member
    I purchased the boat over winter, and the guy before me had winterized it. I’m figuring the DFI oil is from winterizing so I’m not especially concerned as of right now. They said they need to pull the whole lower unit off in order to do the pressure check, hence why they will take 4 1/2 hours. It just seems like a lot but then again I wouldn’t be able to do it in under 4 days the right way. Got a good deal on the boat, so it almost seems worth it to just have it all resealed so I don’t have any issues.

I can have a lower unit off in 15 minutes, and answer the phone too.

They must be charging book prices. Find another mechanic.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Last summer I had some fishing line wrapped around my prop after a tournament. I took the LU off and delivered it to a local mechanic. It was done following day and the cost was $85. It was fine and did not need any parts or water pump though.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

If it was me--
    Drain LU- if oil looks fine- change it and check after the first few trips. If it's not leaking why pay that kind of money ?
    Then see what the want for changing impeller if your not inclined to do it yourself.

8. Member
    Already drained it. Had a good amount of water mixed with the oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamblinman View Post
    I can have a lower unit off in 15 minutes, and answer the phone too.

They must be charging book prices. Find another mechanic.
    I did the same a few years ago when I needed my lower unit pressure tested. I removed the lower unit and dropped it off at a shop before boating season started when they weren't to busy. They replaced a seal and the impeller for around $100 or so.

Personally, I would replace the lower unit fluid and gaskets and inspect the fluid for water. It should be clean if the previous owner had it winterized. Follow the stickies above for the proper amount of fluid to put in.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

Quote Originally Posted by Peach1303 View Post
    Have you had it on the lake already?
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

11. Member
    Haven’t had it on the lake yet.

12. Member
    Better ask the Dealer to check the run-out on the prop shaft to see if it is bent.

13. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    2008 Mercury Pro XS 225. 1B506554. Bringing the boat in to have the lower unit checked and making sure the DFI oil coming from the exhaust tuners is from winterizing. Called a shop today, they quoted me at pressure testing the lower unit and resealing it at 4 1/2 hours, which equates to $600+ parts. They said they would be putting in a new water pump as well. Is this a crazy amount or is it just me? Also, they said they would do a burn off of the carbon by injecting something into the engine and getting it hot. I don’t know what they meant by that but they said that would be another hour worth of labor. If talking about the prices aren’t allowed then I apologize. It seems like the amount of hours is a lot for the seals, and has anyone ever had the engine burn off thing done before?
    Easy way to tell if your unit is sealed. Unscrew the drain plug from the lower unit. If nothing but a drop or two runs out immediately upon removing the screw, your unit is most likely sealed so put the screw back in quickly - up to you to spend the money on a pressure test. If fluid/water drains out immediately, you have an issue so take it in and tell them a seal is blown. Also, we've pulled lower units off in parking lots before in 15 min. (also, just saw where the original poster had an issue with water intrusion)

definitely needs pressure tested to see which seal is leaking.
    not that hard to drop LU and check with hand pump and soapy water in a spritz bottle if you are up to tackling.
    If not I would ask mechanic for quote to pressure test and replace the leaking seal and a water impeller while LU is off.

15. Member
    Definitely getting it tested, I was just concerned about why they would take 4 1/2 hours and if it was a fair price without parts. Hoping it’s only one seal and should bring the price down, along with the burn off of the carbon.

Let me review this ----
    $600.00 for labor to pressure test LU - replace impeller and run some de-carbon thru the motor.... NO parts included ?? WOW
    Do they charge $300.00 an hour ? I'm slow but dang !!
    I don't see 4.5 hrs labor .

17. Member
    $600/4.5hrs is $133/hr which seems high unless the parts are included. Resealing the LU takes time and with a completely new WP it could be $200 in parts. For those that are not familiar it requires removing the bearing carrier and upper seal carrier etc. When I did mine with pressure and vacuum checking the LU it took me over 5hrs.

lower Carrier Oring
    2X lower shaft oil seal
    upper Carrier Oring
    2X upper shaft oil seal
    Shift cover gasket
    Shift cover oring
    Shift cover seal
    Gear oil

18. Member
    Got a hold of another area shop, got quoted a LOT lower. They said about $380+parts. And that is if all the seals need to be replaced. I can live with that.

19. Member
    When the OP spoke to the Dealer, the Dealer quoted a COMPLETE lower unit re-seal.

The OP needs to ask the Dealer for a PRESSURE TEST and replacement of ONLY the DEFECTIVE SEAL that was found by pressure testing.

20. Member
    I would generally agree, but this is a 10yro OB. Why spend the money for the R&R plus gear oil every time a seal goes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    When the OP spoke to the Dealer, the Dealer quoted a COMPLETE lower unit re-seal.

The OP needs to ask the Dealer for a PRESSURE TEST and replacement of ONLY the DEFECTIVE SEAL that was found by pressure testing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast