Internal vs External TM Transducer

I am considering buy a new trolling motor. I can save a considerable amount of money buying a model without an internal transducer. Other than not having an external cable and transducer, are there any other advantages to the internal model? What about the performance of an internal vs external transducer?
    2000 Viper Coral 202
    2013 Pro XS 200

2. Member
    The internal transducer doesn't do down imaging, the external can. I like down imaging.
    Bullet 21XRS w/ 250 ProXS & a little bling

I order to receive forgiveness, we must first forgive!

3. Member
    External transducers typically perform better plus depending on your head unit can also provide down/side scan. Only drawbacks I know of is the cable routing can be a bit of pain on some trolling motors and they are also more susceptible to impact damage.

4. Banned
    I was tired of braking off external transducers. After two in one season (years ago) I went with a US2 and never looked back. The routing of the cable is not a big deal on a cable steer TM but on a terrova for example it's a pain. The US2 on my fortrex works great with my helix 7. Tracks my bait and marks hooks great.

5. Member
    I have an internal transducer but I got an external HDI transducer so I can get down imaging. Only can get traditional 2D sonar with an internal ducer.

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    When you get a US2, there is an internal noise reduction circuit.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​