Terrova or ultrex.....

Currently have a motor guide cable steer trolling motor, I like to shoot the docks for crappie, white and hybrid fish it in open water, and do some black bass fishing in the coves with stumps.....and fish by the bridges in summer for crappie. I mainly white bass and hybrid fish it. crappie being second and black bass fishing last on the scale of importance and frequency....

so my question is all about the foot pedal.....how hard of an adjustment will it be going from the cable steer motor guide foot pedal to the terrova one? 600$ or so diff from the terrova to ultrex for a different foot pedal has me thinking.... pretty smart intuitive guy and think I could learn a different foot pedal.....what are yalls thoughts?

2. Member
    I have the Terrova and rarely, if ever, use the pedal. I use the direction arrows and spot lock switch on the pedal and use the remote to adjust speed, auto pilot, etc. I'll sometimes use the speed dial on the pedal to adjust speed.

First time I used my Terrova --- I was wondering WHAT have I done.
    I never did get competent with the foot pedal--- like mastergun I used the direction arrows to change course while using the constant on to keep it moving. the steering response is slow and requires that you stay two moves ahead when in tight places. It's above my partners mental capacity to run it...I did not realize how much effort it took me to run the Terrova until recently switching to the Ultrex.. After having used every kind they have ever made over some 30 years -- IMO there is no doubt ------ GET THE ULTREX you will love it !!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    First time I used my Terrova --- I was wondering WHAT have I done.
    I never did get competent with the foot pedal--- like mastergun I used the direction arrows to change course while using the constant on to keep it moving. the steering response is slow and requires that you stay two moves ahead when in tight places. It's above my partners mental capacity to run it...I did not realize how much effort it took me to run the Terrova until recently switching to the Ultrex.. After having used every kind they have ever made over some 30 years -- IMO there is no doubt ------ GET THE ULTREX you will love it !!
    I've seen this before and I disagree with the steering response being slow. In my opinion, steering reacts very quickly and responsive.

Plus, I really like being able to set a speed, select AutoPilot and let the Terrova keep me on course.

5. Member
    Have a friend that has a terrova, so I will be trying it out myself in the coming weeks.....just still curious as to what you all think.... thanks for the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by mastergun View Post
    I've seen this before and I disagree with the steering response being slow. In my opinion, steering reacts very quickly and responsive.

Plus, I really like being able to set a speed, select AutoPilot and let the Terrova keep me on course.
    Compared to cable steer or the Ultrex combination cable/electric steering---(The Terrova is SLOW)
    Both units the OP is asking about have the same ability's that you say are a "plus" Except the Ultrex has more than one Auto pilot mode. A big Ultrex plus to me was the shaft on the Terrova can keep turning in the same direction until the cords get pulled out.. The Ultrex will only go as far as the normal cable steer.

7. Member
    As mentioned above, both trolling motors have the same features although some are different enough that each have their followers. Coming out of a cable steer, you're going to be more comfortable in the stow/deploy method of the Ultrex, If you want to put an external (down imaging) transducer on the bow, it can be done easily with the Ultrex, not so easy and not without special aftermarket devices. Same for a Hummingbird 360 transducer. If you have a recess in the boat, the Terrova pedal is flat and wide, doesn't fit well in the recess. These are some of the differences you'll see in going from your cable steer to the Terrova. If I can help, let me know.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Compared to cable steer or the Ultrex combination cable/electric steering---(The Terrova is SLOW)
    Both units the OP is asking about have the same ability's that you say are a "plus" Except the Ultrex has more than one Auto pilot mode. A big Ultrex plus to me was the shaft on the Terrova can keep turning in the same direction until the cords get pulled out.. The Ultrex will only go as far as the normal cable steer.
    Fair point, I don’t have a comparison to the Ultrex. Agree on the Terrova turning and snapping cables, when I first got mine it did exactly that. I’m interested in the Ultrex, but I’m so used to my Terrova I’m afraid I won’t like the Ultrex after dropping the coin for it.

I love my Ultrex
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

10. Member
    Agree on the Terrova turning and snapping cables, when I first got mine it did exactly that
    Is this still a problem on the new Terrovas?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    Is this still a problem on the new Terrovas?
    It is hard to do. You have to physically continue to turn to break the cables. When in spot lock if it goes past 360 it will auto return. So to break cables you have to do it. As far as speed of it turning not much difference.
    Please release me,let me go.

I got a Terrova when they first came out and have since had 3 of them.. . After using the Ultrex last week fishing off shore ledges and deep grass lines. I have nothing but great things to say about it.. You will be amazed at how much easier it is to use than my Terrova was --

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak16 View Post
    It is hard to do. You have to physically continue to turn to break the cables. When in spot lock if it goes past 360 it will auto return. So to break cables you have to do it. As far as speed of it turning not much difference.
    Yours must be different than mine.
    I have both and there is a BIG difference in turning speed.

14. Member
    I have the Terrova, the main thing I don't like it how it deploys. It does take some getting used. However I really like all other aspects of the motor. It's response time is only marginally less than a cable steer. It pitch docks, trees or whatever I want with no ill effects from the TM. When I replace I will probably to the Ultrex as I want a Hummingbird 360 and it will not work with the Terrova.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

15. Member
    Hmmmmm you guys are kind off making me more aware of what I was thinking. I don’t have a recessed foot pedal spot. It just sits open on the deck. Stow and deploy options on either model are cool with me. Main concern was how I would adapt or if I would like a different kind of foot pedal. I knew about the constant turning and snapping of the cable on the terrova. I could probably have the coin to get the terrova in the summer. But if I wanted the ultrex, I may have to wait till next summer. Just trying to see if I can wait that long..... if the foot pedal learning curve is not that steep, I’ll get the terrova.....but it’s sounding like i should save and wait longer for the ultrex......

16. Member
    Since you have a foot control now, I would firmly suggest an Ultrex . IMO foot pedal on other models are not user friendly. I'm referring to other spot lock models. Good luck. If you are around the Lake Fork area I can show you the differences.
    Wes

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mastergun View Post
    I have the Terrova and rarely, if ever, use the pedal. I use the direction arrows and spot lock switch on the pedal and use the remote to adjust speed, auto pilot, etc. I'll sometimes use the speed dial on the pedal to adjust speed.
    This

18. Member
    I have been using the Terrova for 3 years now. Usually put it on constant on with auto pilot. Works great. Not a fan of how the pedal reacts and the servos make quite a bit of noise while turning. I use the remote a lot. After hearing all the good reports on the ultrex makes me wish I could afford one of them.

19. Member
    I thought I had responded to this but I guess not. Had a Terrova for the passed cross years (gen 2) and the new boat will have an ultrex.

The Terrova turns slower. That’s really the only difference function wise. I’ve been told the new ones are a bit faster.

The pedal really is t that hard to use. As mentioned above, I’d put it on constant a lot and just use the buttons on the bottom to turn left or right most of the time. After that, the use of the actual pedal part takes a little time getting used to but I really liked it. Your foot was never in weird positions as it always went back to neutral position once you made your adjustment. The downside is many people use the angle their foot is on to determine where the actual motor is while using a cable steer.

Either way, you can’t go wrong but I would still lean towards the ultrex.