Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Legit. Steep and Cheap is a reputable company, I think owned by the same people that own Sierra Trading Post.

eBay is another great place to buy them. Much like you find deeply discounted reels on eBay, you'll find deeply discounted Costas. I'm sure it's a workaround for MAP pricing. Dealers can't sell them at their stores for less than MAP pricing, so they make an eBay store, sell them under a different name, and ship them from a location that isn't tied to their "official" business. I imagine it'd be relatively easy for the manufacturers to track them down, but maybe not worth it. If you go the eBay route, just be sure to buy from a seller with a high feedback rating. I've bought 4 pairs this way.

There are ways to tell if they're legit when you get them, as well, though that's probably not as satisfactory. For example, (on glass lenses at least) the "580" watermark is only visible from the front of the lens but not from the back. Knockoffs will show a watermark when viewed from the back.
    Glad you posted that as im about to buy a pair from FleaBay.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Something is not adding up...Costa has sold cleaning cloths for years. lots of retailers carry them. Heck a quick look at the Costa site shows they do in fact sell cleaning cloths.

I totally, I mean TOTALLY agree! They sell the cloths, but I was told in no uncertain terms that they DO NOT send out one with the repaired glasses. I told customer service that I sent in MY case, with MY cloth, in an original box.... and it just isn't hard to put glasses back in the case, wrap them back in a cloth, and put them in the box they came in.

Instead.... she told me:
    "This is why we tell customers not to send glasses back in a case, just put them in a plain box."
    SAY WHAT? Can't imagine the damage that'd happen that way!
    I'm surprised sir that you actually got a case back with your glasses, we typically do not send out cases
    ."

Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    Strange. I just sent in a several year old pair for repairs, and they sent me a new pair with in a new case and new cloth........Hmmm, I wonder if I got yours....

I've no doubt SOMEBODY got my case! I mean it didn't have a mark on it, and was used for literally last summer into early fall. And of course you know the cases are different sizes. I'm just glad what they sent with mine that my darned glasses actually FIT inside.

Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Strange! First I've heard of that...I sent mine in for a hinge screw that was stripped out and put a little grease pencil mark on one of the lenses to see if I got the same lenses back. I sent them in the original case. Got back the same lenses with new frames in the original case. I think I paid $8 for shipping.

I can't comment on the cleaning cloth as I didn't receive one with the glasses when they were new.
    Luckily I've not had to return them before for repair. (Like I mentioned.... I'm really OCD about my glasses.) That said, what happened was NOT acceptable IMHO.

I understand why they have a lifetime warranty, being as they are so expensive, then you also have to pay again for the repair (called shipping cost by them) it's easy enough for them to repair/replace them and still be well in the black.

As for the heavily discounted ones, I don't know if I'd trust them. Not saying you can't somehow get the real deal, just that it'd be darned hard to know for sure.
    My half sister has owned a pawn shop for several decades. Back when Oakley was the cats-meow she was selling knockoffs for half price (or less) that she was buying by the gross (144 at a time) for literally $1.50~$3.00 a pair. You could NOT tell them from the original no matter where, or how hard you looked. She was selling them for $40 & $50 a pair as fast as she could get new ones in. I bought some from her for $5 and she was doubling her money.
    Last edited by DixieChicken; 02-21-2018 at 08:14 PM.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 250 Opti w/SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12"

NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Wireless Lighting Controller
    Carbon 12's & 9 on Precision Sonar mounts and A/T.
    GHOST w/3-in-1 & 360.
    Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

I switched to Solarbat this year. The Batitudes frames are lighter and lens are just as good.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

4. Member
    Got two fantails 580G from Steep and Cheap.

Its not that much if you know where to look, I got both of them for $190 bucks total.
    beats paying retail price ! for sure !

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    I switched to Solarbat this year. The Batitudes frames are lighter and lens are just as good.
    Been meaning to check those out Bryan. Thanks for reminding me!
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 250 Opti w/SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12"

NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Wireless Lighting Controller
    Carbon 12's & 9 on Precision Sonar mounts and A/T.
    GHOST w/3-in-1 & 360.
    Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

6. Member
    Well I gave in and bought some green 580Gs off fleabay. Best price I could find was 150.00 for Tasmans. Wish steep and cheap had that model but it was better than retail.

7. Member
    Going tonight to buy a pair of Costa 580G's. I fish shallow rivers in Florida and lower Alabama. What color lense should I get? I'm only buying one pair so I will need the "best all around" lens color. Any help would be appreciated.

8. Member
    I had oakleys for years and bought some fantails with 580g lenses. I have no problem wearing them all day and don't notice the weight on the glass. Oakleys always bothered my ears after they were on for several hours. I'm thinking about getting a pair with plastic lenses to give them and the green mirror a try

9. Member
    I took a jig to the lens of my Costa 400 glass. Not even a scratch! I'm sure I got lucky tho. Scary!

10. Member
    Get the glass. I've had both. I push them up on top of my head for storage, my hair scratches the inside of the plastic lenses. It's very annoying. It appears like a fog when you look through them.
    2018 Xpress H20 Bay
    Got it finally! Pictures soon to come...

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Hendrick View Post
    Going tonight to buy a pair of Costa 580G's. I fish shallow rivers in Florida and lower Alabama. What color lense should I get? I'm only buying one pair so I will need the "best all around" lens color. Any help would be appreciated.

Wait! https://www.backcountry.com/costa-bo...1zdW5nbGFzc2Vz

Edit: They have a plethora available On Sale at Backcountry.com Just punch in 'Sale' 'Men's Accessories' then sunglasses. You can also look for ones for the size of Your melon.. I scored some 'Native' (in cahoots w/Costa, one owns the other now.) and got the Bronze Reflex lens, normally $169 on sale for $39. The Native brand is way lighter in weight.

Edit: Here is the above in a 580G and the red/bronze https://www.backcountry.com/costa-bo...VuZ2xhc3Nlcw==
    Last edited by LewStulePH.D.; 02-27-2018 at 04:33 PM.

12. Banned
    Lens Tints
    VLT* INFO RECOMMENDED USE
    BLUE MIRROR 10% (gray base) encapsulated mirrors deliver superior contrast and coloring in full sun while eliminating glare offshore fishing, harsh sun, beach, natural contrast
    GREEN MIRROR 10% (copper base) encapsulated mirrors offer enhanced visual acuity and eliminate glare high contrast, sight fishing in full sun
    GRAY SILVER MIRROR 10% (gray base) encapsulated mirrors enhance visul acuity and eliminate glare everyday activities, overcast days
    COPPER SILVER MIRROR 12% (copper base) encapsulated mirrors enhance colors and also optimize light transmission excellent for sight fishing, cloudy days, everyday activities, most versatile
    GRAY 12% maintains color saturation and natural contrast in medium to bright sun conditions all-around activities, natural constrast
    COPPER 12% cuts glare and enhances contrast and color in all conditions sight fishing in variable light and water conditions, driving, everyday activities, high contrast
    SUNRISE SILVER MIRROR 30% (sunrise base) high-contrast speciality lens made for sight fishing at dawn and dusk low light/overcast conditions, sunrise/sunset, heightened contrast

*VLT (VISIBLE LIGHT TRANSMISSION):THE PERCENTAGE OF AVAILABLE LIGHT ALLOWED TO REACH THE EYE (THE LOWER THE NUMBER, THE DARKER THE LENS)

13. Member
    I have had many pairs of "high end" glasses before and will say that none have compared to my Costa's when it comes to lense durability (I always buy the grey 580p). I have used them mudding on the wheelers, fishing, construction and whatever other abuse you can imagine and they are still near perfect! The other brands have not held a candle in comparison.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kercha83 View Post
    are they legit? Hopefully its not a copy version.
    theyre probably real Costa's, but they are discontinued items not currently available from Costa.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Hendrick View Post
    green lenses or silver lenses (copper base) for inshore and rivers

16. Member
    Just received some with green 580G. Dont seem all that heavy but I have yet to wear them all day.

17. Member
    I vote plastic for safety reasons. A tungsten weight will do a number on your eye with glass lenses.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

18. Member
    Glass lenses are a major safety issue when fishing. If a lead weight hits a glass lens there is a good chance you will loose an eye. On the other hand, polymer lenses will actually protect your eyes from flying lead lures.

19. Member
    I just came from Oakley's and got in a pair of Costas with the glass and its safe to say.... GO WITH THE GLASS! You wont regret it!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123