Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OH_Ranger View Post
    There are other doors that another student could let someone else in. Can't have a guard at every door. A coworker has a daughter at this Jackson school.
    The unmanned doors would be monitored with security cameras. When an unauthorized door opens, an alarm goes off, someone who monitors the cameras full-time sends a security officer to investigate.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

2. Member
    Put the high school, elementary, and middle schools on the same campus in divided locations. Have 1 head administrator, that would give you 2 principal salaries to get qualified guards. Not to mention the cost savings in bus routes, cafeteria expense, administration and many other service duplications. You could then take the 2 additional crossing guard/police that handle the traffic in the school zones and use them for security at peak times. It would take some expense to build a fence with security measures so it does not seem like a prison. But, do we really need multi million dollar sports facilities in schools. A few years ago I read an article where the renovation of the concession stand at one stadium was over a million $$. Make security a priority and have a way to monitor accountability and it could stop a lot of these situations. I truly don't think there is a way to stop them all short of giving up all freedoms and live in a radical dictatorship.

Obviously, every security system has areas of potential breaches. Even prisoners in max security prisons sometimes escape. But, I would think that these kinds of security measures would be sufficient to prevent a relatively unsophisticated student or other intruder from causing a mass tragedy.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

One of the sad things about this situation is because someone wanted to kill themselves and chose to do it at school as opposed to home or anywhere else it's a "school shooting".

Quote Originally Posted by Stein View Post
    One of the sad things about this situation is because someone wanted to kill themselves and chose to do it at school as opposed to home or anywhere else it's a "school shooting".
    Yep this was a suicide attempt and should never be labeled a 'school shooting'.

It's sad really.
    The extent a person will go to make sure their gun is never used to kill a child.
    Yet, inevitably...Lack of.......
    I think the new secret color is "A-Rig"..........

7. Member
    Another factor in trying to secure an area is the size. The high school in Parkland had 3200 students and there were tons of portables on the outside. Securing the building would be tough but securing the portables would be really tough. I think building more schools to decrease their size would be a huge step but would come at a huge cost. Administrators are better able to track kids at smaller schools, are able to be better acquainted with each student and it’s easier to secure a smaller facility. Given the cost this may not be practical but it would solve a lot of problems even beyond security.

i also believe in school uniforms. It’s not foolproof but it does enable teachers to readily identify students from other kids. I also think it cuts back on a lot of the needless dress code drama we tend to see and is a benefit to parents so they don’t have to splurge on the latest fashion.

I agree with the smaller schools. IMO, consolidation has done more harm than good.
    I think the new secret color is "A-Rig"..........

9. Member
    We're willing to pay 25 Billion to protect our border but not willing to spend 25 billion on kids.

Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    We're willing to pay 25 Billion to protect our border but not willing to spend 25 billion on kids.
    Er... Ummm...Ah...Ahem... Aawww, forget it.

11. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    In the past day or day and a half, there have been threats of some sort against TEN area schools. Just flashed across the screen a minute ago, that three arrests have been made. No clue whether the sick individuals think it is a damn joke or what!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff La View Post
    That is a real simple solution and should be relatively inexpensive. Hell the school board can cancel attending a couple of conventions and pay for that.
    Can't mess with party time .

13. Member
    I am pro gun, but it's high time parents and responsible gun owners learn about securing your weapon in the home. If your child or even high school student lives in the home, you and and your sig other should be the ONLY ones in that home who have access to your weapons.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john3dd View Post
    I am pro gun, but it's high time parents and responsible gun owners learn about securing your weapon in the home. If your child or even high school student lives in the home, you and and your sig other should be the ONLY ones in that home who have access to your weapons.
    That was my first thought after the last shooting...if a minor commits a school shooting the parents should also be held accountable...

15. huskyjerk
    ;

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PsuHntr View Post
    That was my first thought after the last shooting...if a minor commits a school shooting the parents should also be held accountable...
    19 is not considered to be a minor.

17. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stompy View Post
    Looks like the student went into the bathroom and shot himself, no other injuries reported.
    If that's the case, I don't think I'd classify this as a school shooting. More like a suicide committed at school.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john3dd View Post
    +1 on this.
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by headhigh View Post
    If that's the case, I don't think I'd classify this as a school shooting. More like a suicide committed at school.

You won't but some here will call it the 19th incident in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff La View Post
    That's the whole issue, one side screams one way and the other side screams the opposite all the while nothing is being done. Just sit down and try something that both sides can agree upon.
    Thats hard to do when the goal is to disagree with the other side.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast