Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

USA Best wet Cell Trolling Motor batteries - 31 series?

Duracell, or everstarts -I cant seem to find a wally world that carries the 31 series. Leaning toward the Duracell wet cell batteries (2 total) for my trolling motor.
    Any other recommendations? I see that the NAPA DEEP CYCLE HAVE A 36 MOnth warranty which seems great? Other brands? ?

29 is the same as 31 if that's what you're seeing.

The Duracell is an East Penn/Deka battery, and the Everstarts used to be Johnson Controls batteries. However, I've heard that they were switching to East Penn. Compare the specs on them, they might well be the same batteries now.

Aside from Trojan ($$$), these are basically the only two battery manufacturers that make wet cell batteries that are commonly available. You can get other brands but they'll just be either Johnson Controls or East Penns with different stickers on them.

For the East Penns, the Duracells at Sam's are the lowest priced I've seen. They're what I run in my boat. I've had bad luck with Johnson Controls Batteries in the past so I stay away from them (specifically with Interstates). They are rated for more RC than the East Penns, though in practice I've not found that to make any difference at all. I'm very pleased with the East Penn Duracells.

Whatever you get, buy the ones with the freshest date stickers you can find.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

3. Member
    Ask you local Wally World too order them in of see if you can order on line for in store pick up.
    Dave

4. Banned
    NAPA are Dekas. I put 3 new NAPA's in the beginning of last season. Was probably on the water 60 days +/- from ice out to ice up. Never an issue. Pulled the batteries out for winter storage and they still look brand new. I think I paid $130 a piece for them.

Duracells are not a Deka battery they are a Johnson controls battery the same people that make Interstate
    1990 481V
    2005 195VS Intracoastal (Redfish Edition)
    2015 119C
    Love my Ranger Boats

6. Member
    Funny how everyone had there own version of what battery is what-lots of differences:)

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by creekchub View Post
    Funny how everyone had there own version of what battery is what-lots of differences:)
    I don't know about the others but NAPA and Dekas are physically identical except for the badging.

8. Member
    Interested in this as those are the two I’m looking at. That local Walmart has the everstart max 29 but the dating is May 2017 on them.
    1995 Ranger 487VS / 1998 Mercury 200 EFI

9. Member
    Trojan SCS225, you won't regret it.

10. Member
    Looks like the nappas have a 30 to 36 month warranty where is the others have a 12 month warranty I’ll pay a little bit more for that.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2015Ranger View Post
    Duracells are not a Deka battery they are a Johnson controls battery the same people that make Interstate
    No sir, they use to be. A couple of years ago, starting East of the Mississippi, East Penn got the contract with Sams and at that time soon to be with Walmart. After that, it was successful enough that they moved west of the Mississippi as well so now, East Penn is the supplier of Sams (Duracell branded) batteries. They also supply Bass Pro shops, O'Reilly's, NAPA, and some other parts stores. A way to tell is that on the bigger battery, Johnson Controls (JCI) doesn't make a marine 31 and East Penn doesn't make a marine 29. These two batteries are basically the same physical size, however, the 31 has the post down the center of the top of the battery while the 29 has the post on one side of the top of the battery. Also, you can look at case design as mentioned above. If it's JCI, it will look like their flagship battery, Interstate except for color. If it's East Penn, it will look like their flagship, DEKA.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

12. Member
    Here is a link to a list updated 2-2-2018 of makers of batteries and the brand names.

http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/batbrand.htm
    2003 Skeeter ZX200

Quote Originally Posted by 2015Ranger View Post
    No. This is just not right. The Energizers Sam's used to carry (roughly) west of the Mississippi were Johnson Controls, but the Duracells have always been East Penn/Deka. If you don't want to read the label on them that says "East Penn", all you have to do is compare specs - it's clear they're East Penn batteries. Heck, as mentioned above you can even tell by just looking at the case on them.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

Quote Originally Posted by bwank1124 View Post
    Here is a link to a list updated 2-2-2018 of makers of batteries and the brand names.

http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/batbrand.htm
    I've come across this list a bunch, and it just doesn't make any sense. Best I can tell, unless I'm just stupid and don't understand how to read it, it suggests that East Penn only makes East Penn/Deka batteries. It suggests the same for Johnson Controls, that Interstate makes their own...I could go on. It seems it's really only a listing of battery brands and what brands stores carry. It says nothing (or at least very little) about who actually makes the batteries.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

15. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    anyone look at the everstart Maxx 29DC 2 year warranty and a reserve capacity of 210 sounds pretty good to me for $99.95 anyone have this battery
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twitch View Post
    anyone look at the everstart Maxx 29DC 2 year warranty and a reserve capacity of 210 sounds pretty good to me for $99.95 anyone have this battery
    For the most part they are pretty highly regarded for the price. I was going to buy them for my boat but the newest dating local to me is May 2017.
    1995 Ranger 487VS / 1998 Mercury 200 EFI

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    I've come across this list a bunch, and it just doesn't make any sense. Best I can tell, unless I'm just stupid and don't understand how to read it, it suggests that East Penn only makes East Penn/Deka batteries. It suggests the same for Johnson Controls, that Interstate makes their own...I could go on. It seems it's really only a listing of battery brands and what brands stores carry. It says nothing (or at least very little) about who actually makes the batteries.
    It is pretty easy to read, click J go down to Johnson Controls, the next lines are all indented so everything listed below Johnson Controls down to JTM Sunny Battery is what Johnson Control makes. East Penn all the way down to Ebco Battery. There is your list of what East Penn makes for battery's.
    2003 Skeeter ZX200

18. Member
    I have used the boycotted Walmart Maxx batteries ever since Walmart came to our area and have never had a new/slightly new battery to fail. I have always got from 3 1/2 yrs to 6yrs out of them. I also used 2 Autozone batteries for the past 6yrs without any problem. Johnson made both batteries.
    Rocket

19. Member
    what reserve capacity should one look for whether a 29/31 deep cycle battery?

20. Member
    If you order batteries online ship to store and they are like a year old, what do you do ? Refuse to accept ? Order again, could be a revolving door. Anybody ordered online ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast