Android phone vibrating during calls (SMS notification)

Motorola G4. Android 7.0.

How can I make this thing not vibrate if a text comes in while I'm on a call? I use this line to communicate with customers, and it's disruptive (and unprofessional), for this thing to vibrate (very noticeable on the other end of the call too) every time a text comes in. Better still when someone sends 4 messages in a row.

I don't want to turn off vibrate altogether - I work in a shop, and many times will never hear the notification, but when the phone is to my ear it really doesn't need to buzz.

All of my old Windows phones would just give me a subtle ding in my ear if a text came in while on a call (even while set to vibrate for texts). I really don't know how Google beat Windows in the smartphone race. I felt like I was taking a massive step backwards when I went from an old Windows phone to a brand new Android, but figured it would grow on me with time. A couple years later, I still hate this thing. I miss my Lumia 920.

--------------------------------------------------------
    Who is John Galt?

2. Member
    Misread question

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    I tried all of the suggestions in that link. I don't have those options or buttons, though.

Who is John Galt?

5. Member
    Every time I am on the phone with my mom, she gets a text from someone and it sounds terrible. I will be following this one to see if there are any solutions I can use to fix her phone for her.

6. Member
    There is no way to turn this off on your Motorola.
    https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-Z-...e/td-p/3501772
    Last edited by Greenwing1; 02-20-2018 at 11:59 AM.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwing1 View Post
    First answer on that thread, "It's working as designed." What dingdong thought it best to design it like that?

At this point, I've just turned off message vibrate. Not a great solution, but I've reached my final straw with my phone buzzing incessantly while on the line with a customer.

Who is John Galt?

8. Member
    Thanks that worked on my galaxy!

Here's something else that might be helpful. There is not "easy fix" as of yet, perhaps there will be something with the next big update to 8.0. From what I can find, unless you're a tech guru, you'll have to just turn off vibrate completely or just put up with the interruptions... (or get an iPhone )

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/37117327

10. Member
    1) turn notifications off on your native messaging app. 2) download an app called "textra" from the playstore. 3) when you open the app it will ask if you want to set it as your default messaging app - select this option 4) tap three vertical dots in the in the top right corner in textra app 5) select settings. 6) scroll down and select "custom notifications" 7) scroll down to a section in the custom notifications called " during phone call" 8) make sure the slider beside "play notification sound" and "vibrate" are both flipped over to the left. pm me your phone number if you would like if you have any questions or problems.

11. Member
    My G4 never vibrates. It's under Sound setting, vibrate on calls I think.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post
    My G4 never vibrates. It's under Sound setting, vibrate on calls I think.
    Guess I should have phrased that different, there isn't a way to have your phone set to vibrate when you receive a call and not vibrate when you receive a notification while taking a call under factory settings after the Nougat update. Hopefully Motorola will come up with a fix without having to use another app.

13. BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar
    (or get an iPhone )
    Best suggested solution yet

14. Member
    Textra is the best messaging app on the Android platform. I've owned about every high-end phone on the Android platform over the last 8-10 years. I end up putting textra on all of them. A lot faster, more user friendly, and customizable than hangout or any other native messaging app.

Guess I should have phrased that different, there isn't a way to have your phone set to vibrate when you receive a call and not vibrate when you receive a notification while taking a call under factory settings after the Nougat update. Hopefully Motorola will come up with a fix without having to use another app.

15. Member
    I will check out Textra, I'm like the OP it drives me crazy when it vibrates when talking on the phone.