Keel Guard Repair or Replace

My Keel Guard has a section that has seperated from the adhesive is what it appears. Do I try cleaning that section out and re-glue it or put the new Keel Guard that I have on? Not sure what kind of PITA it is gonna be?

Thanks all,
    Steve

2. Member
    Take a picture and E-Mail keel Guard. The will send you a new one.

Jim,

I did do that and have the replacement, but I am kind of nervous about going at it myself ... have you ever removed and installed one ... how bad is it?

Thank you
    Steve

I have... I had to remove a "Keel Shield". It was a huge pain. The guard its self was not hard it was the left over glue and stuff. I very carefully removed the left over glue with battery powered scrapper. It made it a lot easier

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

5. Member
    Peel the old one off. Then go get a 3M adhesive removing disc(pretty Pricey). Use a drill and the disc to remove all the remaining adhesive.then lightly sand the Keek shield area with 600 grit paper. The clean with acetone. Flollow instructions to the T'. The adhesive removal is the worst and most time consuming part.

Hope that helps. Wise 1

6. Member
    If I had a BRAND NEW Keel Guard in hand, then I would install it.

7. Member
    That's what I'm saying Savage..... install new Keel Shield following directions to the T'

8. Member

USA

I just fixed mine, it wasn't a large section that came loose.

9. Member
    I called and told them what happened - had about a 2" section come loose at the bottom.......and since I'm not the original owner, they told me they couldn't replace it -but recommended the 3M adhesive to buy and use. I did and it's holding just fine. I forget off hand which it was - the 5300 or something.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

10. Member
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....76#post5421076

try this old post, might be worth a shot as opposed to starting over. Btw my keel guard is still good 5 years later