Thread: Batteries

Batteries

Is anyone using a group 27 agm in their Tin boat? Currently, I have the regular old interstate 27 the dealer installed in my RT188, but it's going dead. I was told Deka offers a 27 agm, but I am looking for other options too?

27's will be fine for trolling batteries for most people. My opinion you need a bigger battery for the cranking battery. Your engine, trim, pumps, electronics, lights all run from the crank battery and very few people run the engine enough to keep it charged up.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    27's will be fine for trolling batteries for most people. My opinion you need a bigger battery for the cranking battery. Your engine, trim, pumps, electronics, lights all run from the crank battery and very few people run the engine enough to keep it charged up.
    I understand, I've had 31's before. I've also see the amount of work you had to do to get them in your RT. I'm going on 3 years with the current 27 and I've never had a problems, fishing sunrise to sunset, fishing tournaments, running 2 HDS w/ structure scan and point 1, and the livewell. Don't see any reason to switch, if I haven't had any problems with these. It's just adding more weight.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I got 4 years out of my Group 27's, replaced them with the same but I did make sure that I got the Group 27 with the highest cranking amps that I could find for the starting battery. There is quite a bit of variation in Group 27's and some of them might not be sufficient. I though about going with AGM's but couldn't find them when I needed one.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    I got 4 years out of my Group 27's, replaced them with the same but I did make sure that I got the Group 27 with the highest cranking amps that I could find for the starting battery. There is quite a bit of variation in Group 27's and some of them might not be sufficient. I though about going with AGM's but couldn't find them when I needed one.
    Thats the problem I'm having. There isn't a lot of them, available. I need to double check the current batteries specs and see how the one I found compares.

6. Member
    Do you have a Sam's Club around you? If so, go in there and get their Marine AGMs. They are made by Duracell. The manufacture of the batteries are all the same for the most part. I have 2 group 31s. They are amazing. Never ran out of battery, ever.
    2018 Tracker 190 TX
    Torqeedo 10.0
    Humminbird Helix 12 G4N MDI+/SI+
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jyu87 View Post
    Do you have a Sam's Club around you? If so, go in there and get their Marine AGMs. They are made by Duracell. The manufacture of the batteries are all the same for the most part. I have 2 group 31s. They are amazing. Never ran out of battery, ever.
    yes i had the duracell 31 agm in my last boat, it was great. I'd just like to stay smaller and not have to buy new trays, and rearrange everything.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassakwards View Post
    yes i had the duracell 31 agm in my last boat, it was great. I'd just like to stay smaller and not have to buy new trays, and rearrange everything.
    LOL... I hear that. they are big. :)
    2018 Tracker 190 TX
    Torqeedo 10.0
    Humminbird Helix 12 G4N MDI+/SI+
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80