Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Backing on baitcasters....what knot for backing to main line?

Always tied my main line direct. Figured I’m throwing away $$$$. Going to put cheap 12 pound mono backing and then fill with Sunline.

What knot not to connect the two? I use a crazy Alberto knot for my braid to fluro on my spinning rods. Will that work?

2. Member
    whatever knot you usually use will work...it really shouldn't matter anyhow because you should never get down to that knot anyhow casting wise

I just tie two granny knots. You don’t need a fancy knot for that. If you are coming close to the knot on a long cast then you have too much backing on.

4. Member
    double clinch

5. Member
    YUP!

I used some cheap mono for backing for the first time this year. I just wrapped some blue painters tape around it and then spooled up my fluoro. I'll be able to tell when I get low on line because the blue tape will start to show through. Hopefully it will work good.

7. Legend Boats Moderator
    uni-uni

8. Member
    For backing....I used something off color (green or blue)...that way I can see if I am getting close to it at anytime. I use the double clinch.

9. Member
    Blood knot.....E

10. Member
    I don’t use a knot. I simply put a piece of electrical tape around the spool. Never had a problem.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingwillie View Post
    I don’t use a knot. I simply put a piece of electrical tape around the spool. Never had a problem.
    This, I have done this for 40+ years. Years ago some reel MFg. had a cork insert to go around the spool to act like backing.....Tie on a lip less crank bait and cast it as far as you can.--Pull of about 10 more feet and lay a piece of electrical tape across spool. Cut line......To add new line just run it through the guides--lift up the tape--insert end of new line--push back tape and load reel....

12. Member
    I will make the initial connection with a double uni and leave long tag ends so it won't slip. Then I will bury the knot into the braided line backing and run a strip of electrical tape over top. Keeps the knot protected, the line spools on evenly and there is no knot to catch the loops of line further up in the spool. Been doing it for years and works perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by juice780 View Post
    I just tie two granny knots. You don’t need a fancy knot for that. If you are coming close to the knot on a long cast then you have too much backing on.
    THIS^^^. I save the left over line that is not long enough to use. Then, put it on as backing. I lay the lines parallel to each other, tie a simple overhand knot, and spool up the new line. As Juice said, if you are coming anywhere near the knot that joins the two lines, you need to strip off a some backing.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

14. Banned
    I use no knot. Put a piece of electrical tape and wind it on there. If tying a knot use whatever is the smallest knot you can tie. You’re never gonna get down to it.

15. Member
    Double uni

Quote Originally Posted by flyingwillie View Post
    When your rod goes over the side with the spool released you'll rethink that. It's not like it's hard or time consuming to tie a simple blood knot.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassAssassin22 View Post
    uni-uni
    +1

double uni

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSexyPhoenix View Post
    I used some cheap mono for backing for the first time this year. I just wrapped some blue painters tape around it and then spooled up my fluoro. I'll be able to tell when I get low on line because the blue tape will start to show through. Hopefully it will work good.

I use a blood knot. I have bright backing on all my reels. XT solar green so you can see if your getting close to the knot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast