lower unit leaking

250 Pro XS 1B735731.
    Came back from the lake yesterday, lowered motor in garage & noticed a small amount of oil dripping from prop. I had lowered it at the ramp & didn't notice anything then. Not a lot, maybe a tablespoon amount. Is this major or possible a seal? Don't know where to start for repair on these. No sign of damage to prop or housing. will post a pic if needed. I did noticed it was hard shifting to reverse, forward was smooth as always.
    Thanks
    Last edited by tracer1; 02-20-2018 at 09:01 AM.

2. Member
    Try the shift shaft seal Merc bad for it. Look a few threads down. i made this same comment on "another oil leak question"

3. Member
    Yes it is a big deal. The lower unit will need to be pressure tested.

thanks guys. Problem is I wouldn't know a shift shaft seal unless it was labeled as such. I know Savage, anything related to these motors is a big deal. Can the lower unit be pressure tested with it off the motor. Had my fill of the " dealers" leaving the boat outside in all kinds of weather until they get to it for repairs.

Will need to be removed to test properly.

Thanks. will have it done tomorrow.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Yes it is a big deal. The lower unit will need to be pressure tested.
    +1

Where in SC are you located?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    for whatever reason, not going into reverse or not going in easily has always been (for me) an indicator of water intrusion. Would certainly not run it until it is checked out.. Starts off needing seals. Ends up needing at least new gears and bearings if not worse. These things are pretty good about giving you a warning. IF you listen to 'em. If something changes, it needs immediate attention to figure out what it is, before it REALLY changes...
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

You are in SC. It is an easy drive to Don's shop. You will not be disappointed.

Yes, you can and should remove the LU and take it to the shop. There is no reason to take the whole boat at this point.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

I'm located in Aiken. Removed the LU for a pressure check.