Thinking of switching to Garmin

Looking at a 1042xsv at the console and a 93sv up front. Want mapping, down and side imaging. What transducers etc will I need to get to maximize that configuration. Fish for bass, a lot of shallow water and some offshore in the summer months. I am currently using Lowrance hds 8 gen 2 on the console and a elite 7 up front. Considering a lowrance gen3 12 and 9 combination as well. Would be interested in feedback from this group.

Thanks

2. Banned
    Here is a list of what transducer. If it was me I would buy teh bundle GT30 and GT 8. I would put the GT 30 on the back of the boat and the GT 8 at the trolling motor. This is the setup I use but I have the 1040xs instead of the 1042xs. I also have the GT 22 on my boat. I love my setup and I also added panoptix and for me that's the difference. NOthing like it. I bought it in Nov. and started tournament in Jan. and have won money on both due to panoptix..

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/cTra...p_10x2_12x2xsv

3. Member
    Thanks coach. what does the gt22 bring to the table and does the configuration you have use down and side imaging. Also, I am intrigued by the Panoptix. How long was the learning curve on using that and how did you utilize it to help in your tournaments. Do you have the transom mount or trolling motor mount for panoptix and did you elect to to get the 3d transducer? Sorry for the interrogation. New to the Garmin world and trying to figure out how to jump in.

4. Banned
    The Gt 22 does both 2d and down Vu.. I use 2d and panoptix more than anything since panoptix shots ahead of you. Yes my panoptix ( ps21) is on the trolling motor since I don't fish deep alot. Here is my setup. Panoptix and GT 22 on the trolling motor. GT8 and the GT 30 on the transom. My Gt 30 side vu is awesome and when need to find something under a dock or a rock pile it's great. If you get the 1042xs I would get the the Ps22 since it's cone in narrower and can do more . I can't use Ps22 since it's not compatiable with the 1040xs. Since it is networked I had to get the GCV10 . I love my setup. If I don't see fish on panoptix I will not fish that area... I don't waste a lot of time and that's a big plus...

5. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Also keep in mind that if you want networking, you need to get the correct units that will "talk" to each other.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

6. Member
    so, from reading through the forum, it is either all echomap or all gpsmap? For what I am doing, would 2 93sv's be adequate or would I be wishing I would have spent all the extra bucks on the 1042xsv and a 942xs? If the panoptix is the cats meow, would the twin 93sv's get me where want to go?
    Last edited by hitdawg; 02-20-2018 at 12:48 PM.

7. Member
    Dawg, I have a 1042xsv, a 73dv, and a 73sv Plus. From what you've said, I think I would go with two 93sv Plus units with the cv52 transducers. Then spend the extra money on the PS22 Panoptix for the trolling motor. It'll hook right up to your 93.

SE Kansas grass grower

ROCK CHALK

8. Member
    If I were to buy the PS30 panoptix transducer and programmed it to tilt to the front of the boat, would I be able to share that signal between both units. I could see cruising a ledge and the panoptix signal being useful at the console as well. Also, if I bought the ps30, would the 3d part work on the 93sv?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coachallen View Post
    The Gt 22 does both 2d and down Vu.. I use 2d and panoptix more than anything since panoptix shots ahead of you. Yes my panoptix ( ps21) is on the trolling motor since I don't fish deep alot. Here is my setup. Panoptix and GT 22 on the trolling motor. GT8 and the GT 30 on the transom. My Gt 30 side vu is awesome and when need to find something under a dock or a rock pile it's great. If you get the 1042xs I would get the the Ps22 since it's cone in narrower and can do more . I can't use Ps22 since it's not compatiable with the 1040xs. Since it is networked I had to get the GCV10 . I love my setup. If I don't see fish on panoptix I will not fish that area... I don't waste a lot of time and that's a big plus...
    why the gt30, not gt52?

10. Banned
    I like the fact that I can put it on the stern and then I can idle around. If I would have the GT 52 I would hhave put it on the trolling motor. I do that and everytime I would forget and try and get on plane.. I got wet way to many times. My Gt 30 amd Gt 8 are on the stern. I ave not see many screen shots of the GT52 sideveiw. My 30 is great..

Quote Originally Posted by coachallen View Post
    I like the fact that I can put it on the stern and then I can idle around. If I would have the GT 52 I would hhave put it on the trolling motor. I do that and everytime I would forget and try and get on plane.. I got wet way to many times. My Gt 30 amd Gt 8 are on the stern. I ave not see many screen shots of the GT52 sideveiw. My 30 is great..
    I suggest you join a group on Facebook called (Garmin sonar and fishing fanatics)
    There is a great deal of good information and all kinds of screenshots of GT 52 Sideview.
    These screenshots are from that group, 50 meters depth or about 150 feet,,, that's impressive..

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Astrochris; 02-20-2018 at 08:25 PM.