Another Gambler Newbee question about Props

The boat I bought (2100SC with 250ProXS w/ Torque Master) has a 27 Trophy. The blow out ring is installed. It has two medium plugs installed and two small plugs.

I have read enough to know that many folks like the 27 Trophy or the 28 Bravo XS. No need to drop $700 on the Bravo so I am sticking with the 27 Trophy.

Looking for recommendations in the following areas:

Engine mounting height when Bob's jack plate is all the way down? (Its currently mounted as low as possible on the plate, thinking of bumping it up a bolt hole)
    What PVS Vent Configuration?
    Blow out ring on or off?

The boat is in getting some warranty work done so I haven't had it out yet. Would like to set it up per recommendations first.

Thanks!
    John Catlin

Gambler 2100SC W/ 250 Mercury ProXS

27 trophy with a Pro Xs you are gonna need the Cav Ring, 2 wide open holes and 2 medium PVS plugs, then dial it in per your load/power...
    28 bravo XS dual PVS, you will run nearly all 8 holes wide open, possibly close 2 at most...not as fast, but a solid 78mph minimum boat every day and great tourney prop...

i would not move the motor on the jack plate...most of us are only 1 hole higher than you, and with they Hydraulic JP, it sorta defeats the purpose...
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

Quote Originally Posted by low slung cruiser View Post
    27 trophy with a Pro Xs you are gonna need the Cav Ring, 2 wide open holes and 2 medium PVS plugs, then dial it in per your load/power...
    28 bravo XS dual PVS, you will run nearly all 8 holes wide open, possibly close 2 at most...not as fast, but a solid 78mph minimum boat every day and great tourney prop...

i would not move the motor on the jack plate...most of us are only 1 hole higher than you, and with they Hydraulic JP, it sorta defeats the purpose...
    I mostly fish in Okeechobee and south florida waters where its really shallow. I like having the motor up high so that I can set it down without damaging the skeg. I also like raising the motor way up for trolling through grass. Thats the reason to move it up for me.
    John Catlin

Moving it any higher will keep you from ever using the top 1/2 of the Jack Plates range of motion...I would keep as is until you have some seat time and see what we mean...my Bobs action Jack has 6” of range... I only use about 2” during a day on the water at most...however I do tow it all the way up on 6... and in stupid rough water I will lower it to 1-2 for more bite...
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

Quote Originally Posted by low slung cruiser View Post
    Moving it any higher will keep you from ever using the top 1/2 of the Jack Plates range of motion...I would keep as is until you have some seat time and see what we mean...my Bobs action Jack has 6” of range... I only use about 2” during a day on the water at most...however I do tow it all the way up on 6... and in stupid rough water I will lower it to 1-2 for more bite...

I spoke with previous owner and he said that he has to run the jack plate up a couple of inches to get the prop to turn. It chokes out if it's down there. Ill leave it like it is for now and see if I get annoyed with having to set it just right or if I want to just be able to run it all the way down to get on plane. Like you say, once I get some seat time in the waters I fish, i will know what I want to do a little better. I definitely need to pull a couple of PVS vents though.
    John Catlin

6. Member
    My 200 Pro XS is sitting on the 3rd holds from the top. This allows me to have it at its highest of about 0.5” below pad to the lowest for really rough stuff and getting into tight turns at 6.5” below pad. As LSC pointed out above 99% of the time mine is set around 3 on the Gauge. I also plugged the top 3 holes on my TM Gen 1 case. I also live in Florida and run through grass, shallows, etc and don’t have any issues. I’d keep that trophy if I were you!

7. Member
    If he had to raise it to spin it he had too many holes plugged. Pull all the plugs out and try it. If it blows out, add one at a time and try it. If it doesnt blow out, pull off the ring and see what happens. If yoy want to pay shipping i will send you one of my bravo props to try. I dont have the xs but i have 2 bravo sterndrive props that have 1 inch holes punched. It runs 83 by myself and about 80 with passenger and livewells full and stuff. 1997 209te 250xs 112 fortrex. I have never run a trophy. Nobody has one around me. The pro max is faster by a couple of miles an hour. The fastest i have gone was with a 29 tempest, it needed extra pvs holes to take off.