Belleville Lake, Michigan dlaport1's Avatar

Trailer modifications

Has anyone modified there trailer to make their boat go on more easily ?

It seems the older ranger trailers you can come on them from any angle and they always seem to find there way on the trailer straight ?

My I class goes on good from side to side in the back but the front eyelet seems to always more off to either side of the roller. I was thinking of adding some bunk boards to the front area to help this.. any thoughts ?

other than take more time loading

2. Member
    Sounds like you're trailer is backed in too deep. If your 2 center bunks aren't sticking out of the water just a little bit, you're in too far and your keel won't hit those 2 bunks. I back mine in until about 6" of those 2 bunks is out of the water and it goes on perfect every time. You'll have to goose it a bit to get it all the way up, or if you can't power load, use the winch at that point.

I don't think any boat loads up as well as a Ranger. As previously mentioned, leave at least a foot of the center boards out of the water. That will help guide it on.

Also, don't hit the boards hard. If you come in too hot, the boat will jump the bunks and get all off centered. It's a S.O.B. getting it back off without backing the truck up more.

But no, I haven't modified the trailer for loading purposes.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

4. Member
    I had the same problem when I first had mine. I even added side bunks to help go on straight. It took me loading on a pretty flat ramp to realize that I was loading with my trailer too deep. Now I have taken off the side bunks and have no problem.

Like said above if I don't see the top of the center boards out of the water I am in too deep.

5. Member
    The problem is its power load or nothing. Cant crank the boat up the trailer

6. Member
    Trick is to load shallow. Have motor trimmed up so its resting on rods. Get boat lined up center etc and goose the throttle. With motor trimmed it lifts the nose of the boat to get it above bow tie roller. I'm an expert at it now but its a shitty design. Broke a winch trying to crank up by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Loomis88 View Post
    The problem is its power load or nothing. Cant crank the boat up the trailer
    Buy a better Fulton crank they are beasts

8. Member
    For me it's just a matter of backing the trailer up in the water the perfect amount. Zero problems unless it's a steep launch then the boat rolls off before you can latch it when alone

9. Member
    I have new bunks ready to install. I am going with new cypress boards that are a true 2" thick. this will allow the boat to sit higher. I may have to raise the bow roller to compensate but that will be a cinch. I haven't tried it yet so I really have no idea if it will work or not but I feel it will be better.