Thread: I am a Traitor

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Post like that of electritek are what make this forum fun to read. He is trying another brand but not bashing either. Very informative and it helps people learn about different boats who might not have the chance to own both. Thanks!

2. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    I'd say the original post was splattered with buyers remorse. Don't worry though, they'll still be building Cats when you're ready to go back.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

3. Member
    He has a beautiful ranger though. I have had 2 Rangers and 2 Bass Cats. Both fine boats. I have a 2018 Eyra now and never see myself leaving Bass Cat!

I am one that left Ranger and got a kitty, Cats are a very sweet boat. But my next one I will be going back to Ranger. The 521 are lot dryer and better in the big water. I know I know you BCB boys can't stand to hear things like this just Ranger are a better boat for me. I have nothing negative to say about BCB.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Stephens View Post
    I am one that left Ranger and got a kitty, Cats are a very sweet boat. But my next one I will be going back to Ranger. The 521 are lot dryer and better in the big water. I know I know you BCB boys can't stand to hear things like this just Ranger are a better boat for me. I have nothing negative to say about BCB.
    Ranger is more dry? I think you are only 1 out of every 50 that would say that.

6. Member
    I’m seriously considering buying a Basscat in the near future after 5 Rangers that is the reason why I’m viewing this forum. I currently have a Z521C and I find it to be driest Ranger I’ve ever owned. My previous Z21 Ranger was wet. The only time I get a little wet is with crosswinds over 20 mph and I’m idling. Once I get on plane the boat is dry. I have no experience with Basscat and whether or not they are drier.

We won't comment on this second half of the thread and it was a very nice and clean thread to that point. All that was added from our staff was a Thank You'd we do appreciate electriteks post. There are comments now that could turn this south and we would hate to see the caliber of this thread degrade. The few off hand comments are enough and we continue to appreciate the candid opinion of the original poster.

We will say that a Bass Cat hull is an extremely dry ride. Enough experiences and comments have been shared on this topic that it is known as factual.

BCB
    Last edited by Bass Cat Boats; 02-22-2018 at 07:34 PM.

Very nice commentary on both boats. When I was very young I dreamed about one day being able to afford a Ranger. They are nice boats. I hadn’t had a bass boat since I was in high school until just under two years ago. I’m on my second Bass Cat now and I still get excited every time I see another one on the lake or going down the road, which is very often around here. Enjoy your Ranger, I’d bet you’ll be back in a few years. I’m lucky I guess, other than a Bass Cat nothing else even interests me. I feel as though I have the best, at least for me, so why even think of going elsewhere. Congratulations again, hope you enjoy it and know you will.

9. Member
    Congratulations on your retirement. Not to sound like a boatist, but many of my friends fish out of Rangers. Best of luck with your new ride.
    Richard Bates
    USCG Retired
    2010 Bass Cat Puma
    2012 250 hp Mercury ProXS
    Family Boat - 2011 Key West 189FS w/ Yamaha F115TX
    Truck - 2005 GMC 3500 D/A SRW LB CC
    RV- 2012 RoadTrek 210 Simplicity (named E-Pod)

http://BassCat.com
    Purefishing.com
    Denalirods.com

10. Member
    I believe it all has to do with the driver input not everyone knows how to drive a boat correctly.

11. Member
    I have own two Rangers a 2004 VX 521, I will say one of my favorite boats. The second was a Z522 2012 model Ranger.

I can honestly say I have never been wet in either Ranger. I fish Lake Fork in Texas with winds up to 35 MPH with gust up to 40 MPH.

I bought a BPS rain suit when I got the first Ranger knowing it was a wet ride, LOL, but it was a really nice boat.

12. Member
    I have a Puma and love every aspect as a boater. I would buy another BassCat if I ever upgrade again. I participate in a lot of Pro-Am format tourneys as a boater and non-boater. As a non-boater I have fished in both and the Ranger has more space and seems to be easier to stay organized. But I would still buy a BassCat!!!
    2008 BassCat Puma with a Mercury 250 Pro XS / 1996 Champion 186 with a Mercury 175 EFI

Thread is very civil. Doesn't need locked! Little partial to Cat. Cat is a dry ride. I own a new 2018 521 L. New 521L has numerous changes. Friend has his 2018 C parked in garage beside my L and lots of changes on top cap contour lines. We didn't crawl underneath. I have sacrificed performance. If the 521 L is a dry ride will give honest update in a week or 2. I can say with Ultrex on 521 I don't have bow lift and concerned about spearing cruiser waves on LOZ. If I can't get dry ride from Ranger it's outta here. Driver is a big part, gimme 30 days seat time. Honestly, if in 30 days I think Ranger is wet POS, You will hear it. Both boats are quality with different features. Please don't get me on a Plastic Phoenix rant or I'll have to go down for meds.

14. Banned
    All boats are trade offs....this is like a super car post...Porsche, ferrrari, mclaren, Bugatti....all great...all different....and we would all love to own any....in spite of what our fingers say...

We were not intending to lock this thread, though wanted it to keep a civil course.

16. Member
    It’s a good thread with good info.

Ive had both an Eyra and a Ranger. Coming from the Eyra you will notice the Ranger is harder to “time” the waves with throttle control so that you don’t stuff one. Both are good rides but in my experience the Eyra is just more throttle responsive and easier to “toss” around in rough water, thus allowing you to pop the nose up in an instant when it looks like it might dip into a wave. I never could really figure out how to make my Ranger do that. Personally, I prefer the storage in the Ranger and my biggest peeve about the Basscat was the cheap finish on the center stepbox - a turd in the middle of a bowl of beautiful punch in my opinion.

Congrats on on a great boat. I’m guessing you’ll stay on the forum like I have even in a different boat - BCB guys and the company are the best to hang out with on line, especially in comparison to the crickets on the Ranger board :)

blakesfav - I 100% agree on the center step box. It sticks out like a sore thumb. I mentioned in another post that it looks like it was an afterthought in the building process. Should be a nice molded step box to go along with the rest of the 1st class details of the boat. That being said, it's obviously not enough of a big deal to keep me out of a Cat...it's the only brand I'll ever own.

18. Member
    I run a 2014 z521c on big water clear Lake, Don Pedro, Berryessa which we all know can really get rough when there's a call for wind boat rides dry on 3 plus footers up to 4 and with 3 people I'm running a 25 fury 4 blade so I get bow and stern lift with poles and 112 ultrexI love the storage and pretty impressed with my boat overall, but when I look at basscat which builds a super nice boat line thanks to Ron Pierces dreams of building an amazing boat which Rick is carrying on thank you Rick for keeping the dream alive I love the Caracal and Lynx my favorite 2 boats in the line up and the quality is top notch, those are the models I would buy, what I would like to see is the consoles a bit further forward or seats moved slightly back or the dash to have arches cut on the left and the right side of steering wheel for tall guys like me 6` 6" 290 lbs I'm a big man that's the only gripe I have about. Basscat, from trailers to boats to customer service to after purchase basscat is spot on professional through and through thanks for building amazing products Basscat.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TopgunZ521C View Post
    I run a 2014 z521c on big water clear Lake, Don Pedro, Berryessa which we all know can really get rough when there's a call for wind boat rides dry on 3 plus footers up to 4 and with 3 people I'm running a 25 fury 4 blade so I get bow and stern lift with poles and 112 ultrexI love the storage and pretty impressed with my boat overall, but when I look at basscat which builds a super nice boat line thanks to Ron Pierces dreams of building an amazing boat which Rick is carrying on thank you Rick for keeping the dream alive I love the Caracal and Lynx my favorite 2 boats in the line up and the quality is top notch, those are the models I would buy, what I would like to see is the consoles a bit further forward or seats moved slightly back or the dash to have arches cut on the left and the right side of steering wheel for tall guys like me 6` 6" 290 lbs I'm a big man that's the only gripe I have about. Basscat, from trailers to boats to customer service to after purchase basscat is spot on professional through and through thanks for building amazing products Basscat.
    Something tells me you're a hit the throttle at takeoff and never let out of it until 20 miles later guy, no matter what. Just guessing :)

Quote Originally Posted by blakesfav View Post
    It’s a good thread with good info.

Ive had both an Eyra and a Ranger. Coming from the Eyra you will notice the Ranger is harder to “time” the waves with throttle control so that you don’t stuff one. Both are good rides but in my experience the Eyra is just more throttle responsive and easier to “toss” around in rough water, thus allowing you to pop the nose up in an instant when it looks like it might dip into a wave. I never could really figure out how to make my Ranger do that. Personally, I prefer the storage in the Ranger and my biggest peeve about the Basscat was the cheap finish on the center stepbox - a turd in the middle of a bowl of beautiful punch in my opinion.

Congrats on on a great boat. I’m guessing you’ll stay on the forum like I have even in a different boat - BCB guys and the company are the best to hang out with on line, especially in comparison to the crickets on the Ranger board :)
    Will definitely stick with BCB forum. Lots going on here and with BCB boats. Friendly bunch here, great forum! Not too active on Ranger forum. Jury is still out on this Ranger deal?
    Last edited by electritek; 02-25-2018 at 10:30 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast