Thread: I am a Traitor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I am a Traitor

Yep, that's me, head hung low. Traded my 2012 Eyra for 2018 Ranger 521 L. Retired last year to LOZ. Previous home lake was stump filled Truman and Smithville in Mo.. Cant beat a Cat on those waters. Needed a larger rig, more deck room on this rough lake. Looked at them all, Legend, Phoenix, and Ranger. Ivan brought the new Lynx down for show and tell to LOZ. Sweet looking rig. Large deck. I had already contacted Jay at Midwest bout the Lynx and Richard at new LOZ BCB dealer. I liked Lynx but lead time was crazy for delivery. Was leaning toward Legend and JM bought Legend, he might kill that brand. I really looked hard at Phoenix also but decided it part way between a Nitro and a Cat in quality and construction. That left me with Ranger to start 2018. Time will tell whether I made a wise decision or not. Bass Cat is a quality rig and customer service over the top, I expect that from Ranger also?
    Got a few hours on new Ranger and here's my comparison;
    New Ranger has excellent fit and finish, looks great-but not any better than a Cat.
    Bling and sparkle-Cat all the way-hands down-best looking rig on the water!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Got a few issues with Ranger, will see how they are resolved. All issues with new Cat were resolved quickly!
    Layout of bilge area and able to service pumps, Cat all the way
    Performance issues, Ranger is a lead sled compared to an Eyra--but it's a 21' rig.
    Trailer, Gotta give the BCB trailer a thumbs up-partially. BCB has keel rollers all the way up. Ranger has keel roller only on rear cross member. Cat launches and loads so much easier. But Cat trailer rattles a lot because of extra keel rollers.
    It's not fair to compare a 20' Cat and a 21' Ranger on rough water ride. The Ranger rides pretty good in rough water. My Cat did pretty good in rough water. Am not going to make comparison.
    Ranger has a better hole shot than Cat. That's because of weight displacement to the rear in the Cat. It results in a trade off. I had Eyra for 6 years, never got face wet. With a my Eyra if I ever needed to come about in rough water or coming out of a no wake cove in big whitecaps-- trim up a bit and stomp on it. The Eyra would stand up and the spray was aft of console. Bass Cat will stand up like a proud soldier! Ranger won't do that.
    The Ranger is sluggish. Already got my face wet in Ranger. The jury is out. Wet face-red ass. Maybe I need to learn to drive a Ranger.

The Bass Cat Family is strong on BCB forum. The BCB family is strong on BBC forum. BCB is very active on Forums and provides feedback,Ranger is not. I appreciate the contribution to the fishing community and Owners Invitationals that BCB provides.
    I can say from my brief experience on Ranger forum there is much arrogance? Let me try this Ranger before you throw rocks, I don't like to burn bridges. I have only kind things to say about BCB.
    Richard

Thank you

Jag would be the ticket IMO

Good luck with your new ride, you can always come back
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

Ranger is a wet boat!!

6. Member
    What about the comparison with the trolling motor down? I have no dog in this fight, just curious. Always shopping for my next boat.

7. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    I considered leaving BCB several years ago. I had purchased a Baycat after having a CougarFTD. The Baycat was very well built, etc. I just didn't like it. I had a really tough time finding anyone who would take it in on a trade, as it had been in salt water. I considered buying a Blazer as well as a Triton, as there were some dealers down there in the south Alabama, who would take it on trade. I just couldn't make myself do it. Just couldn't leave BassCat. Rick Pierce finally found a BCB dealer who would take it on trade over in Texas. So I ended up with the new '09CougarFTD that I had for 7 years, before moving back to Indiana and trading it to Sherm for my Caracal.

Good luck to you with your Ranger. If BCB were to go away, I'd probably take a serious look at Rangers. I've always liked them.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

8. Member
    Interesting read. I'm proud to own a Cat.

9. Member
    Get used to the wet ass in that Ranger they are wet rides.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

10. Member
    Sounds like a pro & con list and it looks like the cat won. Just curious if you looked at the 210 Charger?

11. Member
    Thanks for posting your experience so far. Although not my cup of tea, your Ranger should be a nice stable platform with the troller down. Good luck.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

12. Member
    I am sorry but it sounds to me like you regret your choice already.

13. Member
    Richard, that’s a good looking Ranger. If you ever want to take a ride in a Basscat for old times sake let me know and I’ll get you out in my Puma. Probably see you at the ramp later this week. Matt

14. Member
    If I was cat I’d be proud that people will still post as they try something new. As you all know very few change bands easily or with a bad attitude. And most will come back to the cat line up. Given the current alternatives. Cats get respect.
    ‘Y’all know I love my PUMA.
    good luck Richard hope you love it. That’s one rough a— lake! You may need a fountain!
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

May take you up on that offer Matt. Monsoons this week, maybe next week at the ramp.

Your back will bring you back to BCB. So long for now.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

Some have asked about comparisons. Can't compare apples to oranges. Eyra is 20'2" @ 1715 LBS- The 521 L is 21'7" @ 1925 LBS. It's got a 10" hydraulic Atlas hanging on the rear in addition. Front deck is huge and Ranger has some nice features. It's really heavy-I went with larger batteries and the Ultrex on the bow is another 80+ lbs. I had the Eyra 6 years, that's a long time. The Ranger will probably never see 70+ MPH off the trailer. I will stay in the slow lane. It rides good, but it's much larger and heavier than the Eyra. It is a very stable platform with the trolling motor down. Hopefully I will learn it's personality and achieve a dry ride. I looked at Charger but not hard. Buddy is on his second Charger and that rascal will not come off stumps, we spend half our time rocking the boat side to side. With the Eyra-stomp on the MG and Cat crawls off stumps. Had a new Skeeter in 99, didn't like it. I'll give the Ranger a try while Bass Cat gets caught up on production. It's a nice looking rig, hopefully I will be happy with it.

18. Member
    Good luck with the new boat. It’ll be great to hear your feedback. LOZ can be a bear. If you fish docks on the lake it’s nice to have a smaller more responsive boat but on the other hand a big boat is nice for obvious reasons.

19. Banned
    Rangers are wetter but you will love it....they are definitely more like a barge so you need to learn to get on thruster earlier and let go earlier....a learned skill....as for ride in the really big stuff maybe the cat but in an ugly 2-3 ft cross chop hard to beat a 521 trimmed down...

Quote Originally Posted by [URL="http://www.bbcboards.net/member.php?u=61626"
    Skeeter zx225[/URL];9118669]I am sorry but it sounds to me like you regret your choice already.
    I thought that too as I read it!

Gave alot more props to bass cat in the comparison area. Rangers are nice! Unfortunately the local service at my dealer thats right down the road from me is pretty terrible. Regardless of brand, the boat is only as good as who backs it, both manufacturer and local dealer. Congrats on the new rig! And hope if brings you alot of fun during your retirement years!
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast