Ultrex vs Fortrex shaft length?

I've read a few places where people have said the ultrex shaft is about 3" longer than the fortrex, in the same rated shaft lengths. Is this true, and would somebody explain to me where the extra is gained? It's not making much sense to me. I'm currently running a 52" fortrex and looking to buy an ultrex real soon. 52" isn't needed at the local lakes usually but it definitely is when I go to KY lake. I have planned on just getting the 52" ultrex, but if there is truly more in the water on the ultrex then a 45" would do fine for me. Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    I am looking for the same info, only I would like to know the exact measurement from the top of the tm head to the bottom of the motor on both the 45 and 52 Ultrex, if someone could help both of us that would be greatly appreciated, sorry not trying to hijack your thread.

3. Member
    The 45" Ultrex shaft measures 48" from the top of the lower unit to the bottom of the lower control box allowing for apx an inch that goes inside (what most call the "head"). This actual measurement of the Fortrex 45" shaft is 43.75" -- which is also the measurement of a Maxxum 42" shaft. They use the same shaft. The difference in the Fortrex and Ultrex is a 3" depth adjustment collar that slides up and down the shaft, much like a hand operated trolling motor, to allow you adjust the depth. On the Fortex, the depth is adjusted by tension on the outer shaft from a clam shell attached to the bowguard. Getting back on track, the 3" adjustment collar, if slid all the way against the lower control box, gives a 45" shaft when measured from the top of the motor to the bottom of the depth adjustment collar. In other words, if you drop a Fortrex all the way down, it will bottom on the lower control box. If you drop an Ultrex shaft all the way down, it will bottom on the depth adjustment collar and the lower control box will be 3" above the steering module (the part that looks like the Fortrex bowguard). However, the 52" shaft is different. It is 52" long from the top of the motor to the lower control box, so if you subtract 3" for the depth adjustment collar, then you have 49" of shaft. Hope this helps someone out. When you get ready to pull the trigger, or have additional questions on whichever one you choose, give me a call.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

4. Member
    Alright, thanks for clearing that up. so basically both will have the same usable shaft length when dropped all the way down, the ultrex head will just stick up 3" higher. Thanks a bunch. John I'm sending you a PM

5. Member
    Okay, I'm a little slow but what I am seeing is with both 45 an 5 Ultrex slid all the way down the 52 will have 4 more inches of shaft in the water and they will both sit 3 inches above the steering module, correct. I am also sending you a pm and thank you

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter35745 View Post
    Okay, I'm a little slow but what I am seeing is with both 45 an 5 Ultrex slid all the way down the 52 will have 4 more inches of shaft in the water and they will both sit 3 inches above the steering module, correct. I am also sending you a pm and thank you
    yes
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]