New 2018 z520 small issues

Brand new 2018 520c ranger cup. Took it out twice and already my speedometer isn’t working. Do
    you guys think the speedometer is even worth fixing? Also, I looked at my water pressure gauge with everything shutoff and it is stuck at 5psi. Other than that everything works fantastic just a little frustrating to look down at
    my $75k boat and have gauges not doing what they should.

would love to hear thoughts and comments concerning what I have going on and hopefully these little
    issues will be all I have to worry about.

Turn the key on and I bet that the water pressure gauge drops to zero. Regarding the water pressure gauge, if you have a Merc with a traditional water pressure gauge, there could be a small piece of wood stuck in the water intake on the leading edge of the lower unit.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

3. Member
    I’ll have to check if I turn it on it drops down. I just saw
    it in my shop today and thought “What the heck.” The digital merc gauge that gives me all engine
    info seemed to be spot on the the analog Ranger gauge is the one that was being a little funky as was the speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbassdaddy1190 View Post
    I’ll have to check if I turn it on it drops down. I just saw
    it in my shop today and thought “What the heck.” The digital merc gauge that gives me all engine
    info seemed to be spot on the the analog Ranger gauge is the one that was being a little funky as was the speedo.
    DUH! I misread your post. I can't help with the speedo!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

5. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Speedometers on boats generally are not worth the effort. They are inaccurate at best, and very difficult to keep working unless you always fish crystal clear water without vegetation or wood. If you have the Merc Monitor for engine data, personally I would never look at analog gauges.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    Speedometers on boats generally are not worth the effort. They are inaccurate at best, and very difficult to keep working unless you always fish crystal clear water without vegetation or wood. If you have the Merc Monitor for engine data, personally I would never look at analog gauges.
    Are the new gauges using GPS? I thought I heard they switched the speedos to get a feed from a GPS unit. My factory gauges are hooked to something behind the console that appears to be a GPS receiver. Might not be the case, but I saw a thread of that not long ago and saw that module in my 2018.

2002 Ranger 175VS - Mercury 125
    2006 Ranger Z20 - Mercury 225
    2008 Ranger TR-177 - Mercury 115
    1987 Ranger 350V - Mercury 150
    2010 Ranger Z521 - Mercury 250
    2012 Ranger Z518 - Mercury 200
    2015 Ranger Z521C - Mercury 250 ProXS
    1993 Ranger 481V - Mercury 175 ProXS
    2018 Ranger Z519 - Mercury 225 ProXS
    2020 Ranger RB190 - Mercury 115 ProXS

7. Member
    Speedos on boats are worthless imo. Wish they would stop putting em on there

8. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I’ve not heard of their being digital on the new boats, Chris. Like you, I just got a 2018, and my dealer made the comment of nobody ever trying to keep the analog speedo working. I certainly imagine he would have done so, if there was a change. Of course, I’ve been wrong before...but the good news is that nearly every boat these days has a mapping unit with digital speed display available.

Quote Originally Posted by Ka'King View Post
    Are the new gauges using GPS? I thought I heard they switched the speedos to get a feed from a GPS unit. My factory gauges are hooked to something behind the console that appears to be a GPS receiver. Might not be the case, but I saw a thread of that not long ago and saw that module in my 2018.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

9. Banned
    I'd want everything to work on a new boat. Moe than likely you have something blocking the water pickup for the Speedo and possibly the same on the water pressure.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    I’ve not heard of their being digital on the new boats, Chris. Like you, I just got a 2018, and my dealer made the comment of nobody ever trying to keep the analog speedo working. I certainly imagine he would have done so, if there was a change. Of course, I’ve been wrong before...but the good news is that nearly every boat these days has a mapping unit with digital speed display available.
    Agreed...that's why I always switch mine out to all digital. I feed everything off my HDS and MercMonitor.

2002 Ranger 175VS - Mercury 125
    2006 Ranger Z20 - Mercury 225
    2008 Ranger TR-177 - Mercury 115
    1987 Ranger 350V - Mercury 150
    2010 Ranger Z521 - Mercury 250
    2012 Ranger Z518 - Mercury 200
    2015 Ranger Z521C - Mercury 250 ProXS
    1993 Ranger 481V - Mercury 175 ProXS
    2018 Ranger Z519 - Mercury 225 ProXS
    2020 Ranger RB190 - Mercury 115 ProXS

I see California, but was it below freezing recently?
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    I see California, but was it below freezing recently?
    No it’s been pretty chilly for my area but not near freezing luckily for me haha