New 4 stroke or stay with old 2 stroked

Hey fellas, I am looking for some good advice. I have procraft rated for 200 hp , rigged with Merc 150 xr6. I have owned since new in 2004. I lived in ohio up until a year ago, where as now I live down in santee cooper. Didn’t have many issues with the under power in Ohio , lots of no wake areas. Down here I have had times getting boat on plane was difficult with the current on cooper river. Being it’s pretty much wide open down here , it reminds me of a 72 nova I use to drive in the day and watching the gas gauge physically moving while driving. The motor is strong though and the typical 2 stroke smoke. Motor pretty much all original. I am thinking it might be time to join the millennium and get one of the new 4 stroke mercs. I really like my boat and have no plans on getting rid of it. Would you think it would be advantageous to repower?
    Last edited by Tohio; 02-19-2018 at 10:32 PM.

If you plan to keep the boat another 10 years, sure. If not, I’d just wait till I got a new boat.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

3. Member
    I love my Astro. Repower I’ve been contemplating same thing. To get a boat set up like Mine New is 50k+. New Motor anywhere from 12.5k 200 Pro XS with trade to close to 20 for verado or other brands. Mine is a 96. I think I’m about two years from a repower. Just replaced too many parts on my motor. I have the 200 efi.

A 200efi could be another option you see them anywhere from 3 to 6k you could probably get 2-3 for yours.

But it it all depends how you use your boat and what you want. When I was fishing reservoirs in ND smoke didn’t bother me. Now crowded city lakes and doing more family water sports and cruising ditching the noise, smoke poor fuel consumption and having to mix, makes it worth a repower to me. Lots of opinions common denominator is you will loose money if you try and sell in two years so plan to keep, that is true of everything including new boats.

I’ll be watching the new Mercury Fourstokes and where they fall in the price performance spectrum. There really hasn’t been good options for a 200 max boat.
    Last edited by Walleyesok; 02-20-2018 at 07:45 PM.

Dont trade for used motor you never know if it will last a month or what, i also agree with above, keeping the boat for many years go ahead if not keep what you have till your next boat
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

5. Member
    Thank you for the replies. I am retired now and fish 3 to 5 days a week. Using probably 20 gallons of fuel a week. I have no plans on getting rid of the boat. 192 super pro, put a new dual axle trailer under it 18 months ago. Has been well maintained since new . Electronics are up to par. Very comfortable, home away from home. Son and I are going to the classic in March and will wait and see how these 4 strokes unfold.

6. Member
    One note. River current will not affect hole shot. Getting on plane is all about getting the hull speed, relative to the surface speed of the water, to a big enough number that the water pressure against the bottom of the hull is high enough that it will support the weight of the boat and lift it out of the water.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

7. ZO6
    Quote Originally Posted by Tohio View Post
    Hey fellas, I am looking for some good advice. I have procraft rated for 200 hp , rigged with Merc 150 xr6. I have owned since new in 2004. I lived in ohio up until a year ago, where as now I live down in santee cooper. Didn’t have many issues with the under power in Ohio , lots of no wake areas. Down here I have had times getting boat on plane was difficult with the current on cooper river. Being it’s pretty much wide open down here , it reminds me of a 72 nova I use to drive in the day and watching the gas gauge physically moving while driving. The motor is strong though and the typical 2 stroke smoke. Motor pretty much all original. I am thinking it might be time to join the millennium and get one of the new 4 stroke mercs. I really like my boat and have no plans on getting rid of it. Would you think it would be advantageous to repower?
    Same delema. i repowered my 2005 boat last May. i love my boat and it looks great! A new boat is not what I needed. My old, 2005 250 Mercury XS engine 750 hrs, served me well but it was time and I wanted a 4 stroke. I made the change and am very pleased with the new engine. I may not get the money back out of it but I plan to run it 5/7 more years. It is meeting MY needs.
    Sounds like you may be retired.
    if you like your boat, repower with a new engine and don't look back. 5 yrs of warranty looks pretty good but after 47 hrs all I've done is required maintenance. And yes, you will notice fuel mileage improvement over your xr6 no matter which new engine you buy. My Optimax was great on fuel!

8. Member
    Yes I am definitely thinking the same ZO6. Hope to keep boat as long as possible. Will be looking forward to seeing any promo's in the next few months and pull the trigger hopefully.

9. Member
    I have an 18ft Xpress rated for a 150. Last summer I repowered to a new 150 4S from an ‘02 XR6. I’m not a fan of the loan payment again, but otherwise no complaints. Hole shot is great. Fuel consumption is way better. Running wide open it still drinks gas but idling around and cruising it uses a lot less fuel and runs so much smoother. No smoke, no cold starts, almost no vibration compared to my old motor. To be honest I can’t think of any cons compared to the old motor. I considered buying an Opti, which is probably a great motor as well, but I’m glad I got the 4 stroke.
    2008 XPRESS H18
    2017 MERC 150 4S

Quote Originally Posted by Tohio View Post
    Yes I am definitely thinking the same ZO6. Hope to keep boat as long as possible. Will be looking forward to seeing any promo's in the next few months and pull the trigger hopefully.
    5 year warranty is being offered now thru March 31st. Check out Mercury Marine
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

11. Member
    Have someone check your transom before you make a move. Older boats have wood in their transom and it gets rotten and weak. I had a ProCraft for 20 years loved it but it had a rotten transom. I bought a used boat that came with a four stroke. Love the new gas mileage and the quiet run. Whatever you do, get fuel injection and you can't go wrong.

12. Member
    Will Have the transom checked out definitely. Thank you for all the advice. The boat seems to be solid. Have checked around the transom nothing visible to me, but will have checked. Going to the classic and will check out Mercury for any incentives.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    While you're there, stop by and check out European Marine (not too far away).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Go with the 4S and you won't regret it. I don't. I repowered from a 92 XR6 2 yrs ago and I won't go back to 2S. Check out the new Merc 4S, they have a 200 now
    Pat Leach

USAF MSgt Retired

1992 Procraft 180 Pro
    2016 Mercury 150 Four Stroke
    2018 Minn Kota Ulterra
    Helix 7 SI/GPS
    Helix 7 Sonar/GPS