Thread: Oil Leak Issue

Oil Leak Issue

Don I need some help here. I just purchased this new Ranger 198P with a Mercury 150 4 Stroke motor and planned to start the break in process here this weekend. I went down to the driveway and noticed a sizable oil spot on the ground. Called my dealer as well as my local Cabelas who said they have seen this a few times here recently. They stated this is the oil sump leaking and that 2 seals would need to be changed. I haven’t started this motor since purchase and believe it’s only ever been started at the factory and at the dealer as it is brand new. What are your thoughts on this? I understand things happen, but it doesn’t give me a warm feeling as I’m coming from an older Yamaha 2 stroke that never gave me an issue. Also I’d like to point out that my dealer said in the last 2 they’ve had trouble with they saw an OK written in sharpie on the pump. Leads them to believe Mercury is paying attention to this part and they know they may have a problem. It will be repaired under warranty of course, but I hate knowing my brand new motor was alread in for a major repair before ever getting used. Appreciate any insight you can give.

2. Member
    Serial number 2B467439

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CBuckBassin View Post
    Don I need some help here. I just purchased this new Ranger 198P with a Mercury 150 4 Stroke motor and planned to start the break in process here this weekend. I went down to the driveway and noticed a sizable oil spot on the ground. Called my dealer as well as my local Cabelas who said they have seen this a few times here recently. They stated this is the oil sump leaking and that 2 seals would need to be changed. I haven’t started this motor since purchase and believe it’s only ever been started at the factory and at the dealer as it is brand new. What are your thoughts on this? I understand things happen, but it doesn’t give me a warm feeling as I’m coming from an older Yamaha 2 stroke that never gave me an issue. Also I’d like to point out that my dealer said in the last 2 they’ve had trouble with they saw an OK written in sharpie on the pump. Leads them to believe Mercury is paying attention to this part and they know they may have a problem. It will be repaired under warranty of course, but I hate knowing my brand new motor was alread in for a major repair before ever getting used. Appreciate any insight you can give.
    I bought a new Lowe tritoon last summer with a 2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS 4S, after the first time I took it out I noticed motor oil dampness on the cavitation plate, and it eventually runs down the LU and drips off the skeg. While I had it back at the dealer for a boat repair the shop said there was a gasket and oring that needed to be replaced, they tore the motor down, replaced them both, and put it back together.. it still leaked. Now they're replacing the entire sump. He has a brand new 150 on the show room floor hanging off the back of a new Ranger, and it has a small puddle under it as well. Its been in the shop since the end of January for the oil leak, it seems like it takes forever to get parts from Mercury...??...

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I have not personally seen anything like this recently, nor have I had to replace any sumps/pumps. Looks like the gaskets were replaced in yours- have you run it yet?

As for the "ok" mark- that's pretty common practice with MANY components as they are inspected.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    As an update to this issue I did get my motor back and have no further issues with the leak. A new sump was all that was needed to correct the problem. Hopefully it stays dry and I wont have to take it back in!

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor