Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which batteries?

What’s everyone running for batteries? Need trolling batteries and also a cranking battery that can run helix 10/9, livewell, etc and still be able to fire up big motor at end of day. Haven’t measured so not sure if 31’s can fit.
    1995 Ranger 487VS / 1998 Mercury 200 EFI

Deka Group 31 AGM's for me.. wouldn't consider any other battery. Been using them for years and never had one single issue.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireBassr View Post
    Deka Group 31 AGM's for me.. wouldn't consider any other battery. Been using them for years and never had one single issue.
    I need to measure to see if Group 31s will fit. In the transom area on my boat there are two pieces almost divider like that are glassed in. Where the batteries go seem to have limited space.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassin_man View Post
    I need to measure to see if Group 31s will fit. In the transom area on my boat there are two pieces almost divider like that are glassed in. Where the batteries go seem to have limited space.
    What boat?

5. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    (4) NorthStar/X2 31 series AGM's in mine. So far, so good...

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

6. Member
    I got the Duracell AGM 31 series from Sam’s club. Not sure who makes them, but have been super happy with them. With the price point and warranty you can’t really go wrong!

They are manufactured by Deka.

Deka also makes the AGM Intimidator in a Group 27.

9. Member
    I have seemed to read at times that agm is suggested for starting battery but not for trolling motor batteries. Any truth to that?

10. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I have seemed to read at times that agm is suggested for starting battery but not for trolling motor batteries. Any truth to that?
    The thing with AGM batteries is that they deliver nearly full power as long as they can, then give out all at once. Full power all the time is really good for cranking batteries, because without sufficient current, you might not be able to start your engine. But that characteristic is not nearly as important for trolling batteries, and in fact, you might prefer for them to gradually decrease in power. At least that way, you know when they are going down, and can continue to fish while trying to conserve battery power till weigh-in. Additionally, although AGM batteries are maintenance-free, they do cost more, which can be a substantial difference times 2 or 3.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

11. Member
    Are agm batteries that much better to warrant the price difference? The Duracell’s at Sam’s are about $100 more per battery for the agm.

12. Member
    AGMs would also be expected to last a little longer than traditional batteries. Definitely go AGM for the cranking battery, then decide if it is worth the additional cost for the TM. I am buying all new this year and have settled on the Northstar X2 AGM 31, and three 29 series Everstart lead acids.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

It has been my experience in the last ten or so years, that the AGM batteries will last much longer when used for your trolling batteries. You won't have to be concerned with your batteries lasting to the end of the day, regardless of the type of fishing you are doing. They do cost more, because it's a better product that a wet cell lead/acid battery. I couldn't get a set of wet cell batteries to last more than a few months back in 2006, and that is when I put the Deka AGM's in my boat. They are all I have run since that time, and have never had a single issue.

14. Member
    Go to the Mercury forum and make sure your motors charging system can handle agm batteries.

2018 Ranger z520L
    2020 250 Pro XS
    2B694324

15. Member
    I have four Blue top Optima batteries agm 31 fourth boat had them never had a problem.
    2018 Z520L , 250 pro xs, ultrex 112 , hds 16 carbon , hds 12 carbon both on bbt mounts. Dual power poles

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTTI View Post
    Go to the Mercury forum and make sure your motors charging system can handle agm batteries.
    Was looking at that earlier. It doesn’t Look like it is recommended to run agm with my motor.

17. Member
    Have been wanting to put Lithium's Dual Pro in my boat for years, may spend the jack and do it on my new L boat.

18. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Riese619 View Post
    I have four Blue top Optima batteries agm 31 fourth boat had them never had a problem.
    Optima blue tops

19. Member
    For those interested according to a post in the Lounge:

SAMs Duracell AGM on Sale Feb 28 - Mar 25

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=881647
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

20. Member
    I've ran interstates in 3 boats now and love them. I've fished 8 he tournaments and then stayed on the lake until dark with out a problem. My new ranger came from the factory with with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast