Thread: Who to ask?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Who to ask?

I have a Caracal ordered with a Yamaha Sho on order. I understand that there are issues getting motors right now. I’m just curious where in line my boat is. FYI I am in my 24th week since the boat was ordered. I feel like I have been patient and my dealer hasn’t been able to give me any information. Do you guys have any ideas?

2. Member
    Call the factory and ask for Richard.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

3. Member
    25 weeks is a long time to be kept waiting. Did you put down a deposit?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jigman51 View Post
    25 weeks is a long time to be kept waiting. Did you put down a deposit?
    Yessir. The boat has been finished since before Christmas. It’s just waiting for a motor.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lamoon78 View Post
    Call the factory and ask for Richard.
    I gave the factory a call. I was told that my dealer would have to contact his sales representative.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mwadkins View Post
    I gave the factory a call. I was told that my dealer would have to contact his sales representative.
    Not sure it's Basscat's fault for the no info. Yamaha is notorious for being vague about engine shipments in normal times, let alone these conditions. My guess is Basscat can't get a direct answer from Yamaha about your engine.

That is the proper process, and we are still awaiting Yamaha engines. There was little hope given though they were eeking some out and a call from your dealership to his Yamaha representative could help. We want you to have your boat too! Right now it's ours and we can't use it!

BCB

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    That is the proper process, and we are still awaiting Yamaha engines. There was little hope given though they were eeking some out and a call from your dealership to his Yamaha representative could help. We want you to have your boat too! Right now it's ours and we can't use it!

BCB
    Thank you BCB. He had spoken with his Yamaha Representative a few weeks back and was told it would be the 3rd Quarter of 2018 before he could get him an motor. He said the guy was kind of a smart aleck. So I might be waiting till July or August.

Get a Mercury and get on the water.......

on side note, I'll cry if my boat takes 24 weeks.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

10. Member
    G2
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

11. Member
    I saw a Honda on the back of a Caracal last week dealer said he was getting low 70s with that motor. Made me think that might be my next motor.

12. Member
    I would be interested in seeing how a Suzuki would perform on the Caracal.

I ditch yamaha like it was yesterday and get another motor. Almost a year to get an engine, no thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iron banks View Post
    I ditch yamaha like it was yesterday and get another motor. Almost a year to get an engine, no thanks
    Isn't that the truth, I think I’d be swapping motors ASAP unless I had another boat I was using in the meantime. Where do these boats sit while waiting for motors?

15. Member
    No way I would wait that long, if you want my opinion. Go to a Mercury, and BCB is offering two more years warranty. A no-brainer! My Caracal order is at about 10 weeks now, give or take.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue76 View Post
    I saw a Honda on the back of a Caracal last week dealer said he was getting low 70s with that motor. Made me think that might be my next motor.

Wayne and Jeremy over at Skyline outfitters in Wilkesboro have been running hondas on alot of stuff. They are die hard about them. I know they rigged one on a green and white caracal for a guy the other day and it hit low 70s with 3 people during break in and around 74 during various prop testing. Looked good and sounded pretty cool! Everythings going four stroke now... I think honda and suzuki are over looked options.
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

17. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    I'd just not wait that long. I'd try to find one in stock from a dealer somewhere or try to find a lightly used rig.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

18. Member
    You might be able to order and receive one of the new Merc 225 4S engines before that Yamaha.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

19. Member
    lots of good opinions here. I will be one of the odd ducks here. LOL

I like the Sho well enough I would most likely wait. They have problems out of Sho's now you won't know the problems of he Merc's for a while and you will be really upset if you wait for those and get a bad one on top of waiting. I guess if you don't mine the little slower speed the Honda would be a great choice.

20. Member
    Well a little good news today. The dealer gave me somewhat of a time frame on the motor. He was told late March/ early April. Not exactly what I was hoping to hear, but at least I feel that I’m no longer in the dark.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast