Ultrex shaft lengths opinion.

I am going to order an ultrex this week. I am torn between a 52 and 45 inch. There are times I fish that my 45 comes out of the water so I am leaning to the 52 but I fish shallow more often than not. Shallow as in 2 -3 feet when pitching docks. The tm coming out every once in a while doesn't really bother me except for the tm spinning which would be eliminated with the ultrex and the steering lock. Cover would still fit with a 45 as well and would not need to drill any extra holes for mounting. What have you guys done and what would you do.

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    This exact question has come up on BBC quite frequently, and the answers are usually pretty evenly split. I certainly can see both sides, as I fish 50% of the time out on Lake Erie and 50% of the time making low casts under docks or other cover in shallow water. To cut to the chase, having the 45 inch pop out of the water occasionally bothers me less than having 7 more inches of trolling motor in my way when I have to raise the trolling motor because it’s scraping bottom, or there’s so much submerged brush or vegetation that again, I have to keep the tm as high as possible. But...my style of fishing big, open water isn’t highly dependent upon sitting in an exact spot and making dozens of casts. If it’s blowing so hard that I can’t keep the tm in the water, I’ll probably put a couple of drift socks out, and that will hold the boat much more in place. Or I’ll just drift and drag through my area. I’m also not fishing for a million dollars, so I don’t sweat it much. But I fish a lot of tight quarters and hate a tm that sticks 2-3 feet above the bow. Knowing what you value most is the key. I run the 45.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    You can't increase shaft length, but you sure can reduce shaft length. I use a special equipment shallow water device I invented. It's an 8" 1 X 2 with a string on it. Slip it under the TM mounting bracket and wallah, my trolling motor shaft just decreased by 4".

4. Member
    A 52 is a no brainer in your situation. I put a 52 on mine after having a 45 Fortrex. The 52 is just right. And I fish shallow some too. I just raise it up a bit. I have yet to smack the head of the unit with a square bill.

5. Member
    Personally been running 52 and 60” shafts on my rigs for as long can remeber. But i fish Lake Erie and big waves. Just installed a 52” Ultrex on buddies 19’ Procraft.

You are in SD and I know how the wind is on the Missouri river impoundments. I would have the 52".
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by squib View Post
    A 52 is a no brainer in your situation. I put a 52 on mine after having a 45 Fortrex. The 52 is just right. And I fish shallow some too. I just raise it up a bit. I have yet to smack the head of the unit with a square bill.
    Agreed
    2018 Z520L , 250 pro xs, ultrex 112 , hds 16 carbon , hds 12 carbon both on bbt mounts. Dual power poles

8. Member
    I went with a 45” and I still have to raise it at times due to shallow water. And even with the 45” my cover barely fits now. I had a 45” Fortrex previously.

9. Member
    Thanks for all the replys. Really appreciate the info. I sat down and scratched out a pro's and cons list last night. The pros for the 45 out number the 52 for me. I landed right where john was at in his post. Usually if the tm is coming out of the water I am getting off or changing my approach to fishing and flipping docks. The natural lakes up here are shallow when you get in and start flipping for largemouth. My main lake that I camp on has only smallmouth and it to is shallow. I find myself out deeper mid day and in shallow flipping docks in the morning and evening. My wife to be brought up a good point that I can see happening with a 52 and that is forgetting to raise it and banging it up in shallow rocks.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    You can't increase shaft length, but you sure can reduce shaft length. I use a special equipment shallow water device I invented. It's an 8" 1 X 2 with a string on it. Slip it under the TM mounting bracket and wallah, my trolling motor shaft just decreased by 4".
    I don't think the board with the string would perform with an Ultrex because unlike manual cable steered motors, the entire shaft turns when the motor is steered. I would think your board would fall out and the motor would ride down on the shaft. Also, that board might cause increased friction when turning before it falls out of place.