Question Bow unit GPS puck location

Does anyone who runs an Ultrex have a good location for the front unit's gps antenna on a Phoenix 721?

I was running an AS GPS HS on the back deck on the starboard side, right above the starting battery. It was getting constant magnetic interference that I'm guessing was coming from the battery cables. The magnetic heading line would swing violently back and forth as I was running down the lake. I tried to shield the sensor by adding lead tape under the deck, but it was only marginally better.

I decided that I really only need the heading line for the front unit, as I get a course line when I am at the console. I replaced the AS GPS HS with an AS GRP and I am moving the HS sensor to the front deck so that I can have a more precise position and heading line for when I am on the trolling motor and fishing waypoints (brushpiles). I was wondering where a good place was for the puck to keep it from getting magnetic interference from the TM? I already get interference on my Helix 10 from the TM, so I am nervous to mount the puck too close. To me, mounting it on the front rubber pad would still be pretty close to the TM, but I see a lot of pucks there. I was thinking about mounting it on the carpet, just to the right of the TM recess.

Any thoughts???

Thanks in advance

2021 Phoenix 721
    Merc 250 ProXS 4S
    Lowrance Live 12/9/Ghost
    Garmin 1222 w/Livescope
    Ionic 3x50 AH Lithium

That would be a good place to TEST. Two things at the bow that will affect the compass---the trolling motor when stowed (doesn't make any difference then) and high current which you get when the trolling motor is operating. If the cup holder is metal, that could be an issue.
    The way you have the steering/power cable going on the left side of the display takes care of that part, but maybe proximity to the foot pedal and power from the batteries can be an issue. You have test with the motor operating to see it that location is OK.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Where is your Heading Sensor for the Ultrex located?
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

4. Member
    The heading sensor for the ultrex is behind the driver's seat and it works perfect there.
    2021 Phoenix 721
    Merc 250 ProXS 4S
    Lowrance Live 12/9/Ghost
    Garmin 1222 w/Livescope
    Ionic 3x50 AH Lithium

5. Member
    Just looking at it... I think the first place I would test it would be on the left side of the trolling motor tray, up close to where the carpet meets the fiberglass... between where the trolling motor pull handle is in the pic and the left edge of the recessed tray. But you can narrow down some areas at home with a cheap compass. Move it around to different spots your interested in and see if the needle goes crazy in any of the areas. Turn power on to everything like it would be in the boat. Deploy the trolling motor and run it some to see if your too close to its power wires anywhere.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

Basically take a compass or a compass app on your iPhone and find a place with minimal interference with the TM deployed and running. You can use the 3M trim double sided tape (forgot its name) to stick the puck down. Worked well on my boat till I kicked it. Then had to redo but held well.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

7. Member
    question when u set up ur gps did u choose coarse up or north up, if u choose coarse up ur hole screen has to move not just the arrow. just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by hqjig View Post
    question when u set up ur gps did u choose coarse up or north up, if u choose coarse up ur hole screen has to move not just the arrow. just a thought
    You use Head Up if you want the map to be oriented in the direction the bow is pointed.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL