Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Group 27 AGM batteries?

Long story short, I think my original Interstate group 27 cranking battery is going dead. The voltmeter says it is holding a charge but it didn't want to start the boat yesterday morning after charging all night. Anyway, I'd like to get an AGM to replace, but I'd like to stay with 27 if possible. I'm not even sure anyone makes 27 AGM. I have a Ranger RT188 w/ a 115 Merc 4s, there isn't a lot of room in the bilge, for a 31. Though, it can be done. Also, can I charge 1 AGM and 2 wet batteries with a Dual Pro, recreation series 3x6 charger? My last boat I had a MK 345 PC charger and ran 1 31AGM and 2 wet cells, but the PC charger allows that.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    One thing to conside is that most AGMs allow for unconventional installation. On their sides or even standing on end. This can make it easier to find room. I generally wouldn’t recommend standing on end unless you have two batteries since it’s inherently unstable if the strap fails.

RS3 chargers say they are good for AGMs which probably means the peak output is below 14.6V which means they’d work for most AGMs and all conventional flooded cells.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Ok, so my charger should be able to charge an AGM properly. I will be buying another PC Charger at some point just not all at once. Any recommendations for battery trays if I got a 31? I had bought a really good one for the last boat, but I can't remember the name of the company. I think they went out of business or were bought out by T&H Marine.

4. Member
    I just switched from group 27 to group 31 batteries for all 3 of my mine and bought TH Marine trays with heavy straps and SS buckles. I can't imagine that they'll move. I got them through Cabelas.
    2015 Ranger Z118C w/150 Mercury 4s

5. Member
    Yeah, I found the receipt for the battery tray I had. It was the RMC Boatworks try. I'm thinking I will probably get a basscat battery tray if I bought a 31.

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    East Penn makes the 8A27 AGM in group 27
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    East Penn makes the 8A27 AGM in group 27
    Ok so that's a Deka battery. I wonder if Sam's sells them as Duracell?

8. Member
    I'm leaning towards the duracell 31 now that they are on sale. Also, thinking about getting a new charger. I had a MK 345 PC charger in my old boat and I loved it. Current charger is a 3x6 18amp. Now MK makes a 318pc. Is there any reason to buy the 345 over the 318 other than it charging faster? 318 is about $125 less.

9. Member
    If you decide not to swap out trays and you have a Batteries Plus nearby they sell group 27 starting and deep cycle AGM batteries from both Duracell and X2Power. 92AH on the deep cycle Duracell AGM. I also have an RT188 and I will be putting these in with my new Ultrex in a month or so.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAngus View Post
    If you decide not to swap out trays and you have a Batteries Plus nearby they sell group 27 starting and deep cycle AGM batteries from both Duracell and X2Power. 92AH on the deep cycle Duracell AGM. I also have an RT188 and I will be putting these in with my new Ultrex in a month or so.
    I do have a batteries plus here and I have looked at those 2 batteries on their website. I'm going to compare them side by side to my current battery this weekend and see how they stack up. I am starting to feel like its better just to buy the 31 duracell since its on sale and these 27's are $60 more for less battery.

11. Member
    Correct me, if I'm wrong here. After 5 days of sitting untouched, the starting battery is at 12.67v. The trolling batteries are both 12.78v. The starting battery is technically still charged but would appear to be weakening. Everything in the boat is shut off at the breaker so there shouldn't be anything drawing it down unless the motor is drawing in it somehow. Suggestions? Probably take it to AutoZone this weekend to have them test it.

12. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassakwards View Post
    Correct me, if I'm wrong here. After 5 days of sitting untouched, the starting battery is at 12.67v. The trolling batteries are both 12.78v. The starting battery is technically still charged but would appear to be weakening. Everything in the boat is shut off at the breaker so there shouldn't be anything drawing it down unless the motor is drawing in it somehow. Suggestions? Probably take it to AutoZone this weekend to have them test it.
    12.67V is perfect for an Interstate flooded cell battery. It is fully charged. Load test it to fully check it out.
    nothing else matters.​

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    12.67V is perfect for an Interstate flooded cell battery. It is fully charged. Load test it to fully check it out.
    Ok that's what I thought. I'll have it tested.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassakwards View Post
    I do have a batteries plus here and I have looked at those 2 batteries on their website. I'm going to compare them side by side to my current battery this weekend and see how they stack up. I am starting to feel like its better just to buy the 31 duracell since its on sale and these 27's are $60 more for less battery.
    Yup, if you've got room that makes perfect sense.

15. Member
    Check the fluid level.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Check the fluid level.
    I added water at thanksgiving and I've only used it 3 times since then. It got so cold. I didn't want to go. I will check it again.

17. Member
    Your 115 4S engine is very low demand for cca's for starting. If you don't want to reconfigure your battery area, I think you would be fine with another 27 series, especially a high quality AGM. The 27 series X2 at Batteries Plus is a Northstar, a very fine AGM.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    Your 115 4S engine is very low demand for cca's for starting. If you don't want to reconfigure your battery area, I think you would be fine with another 27 series, especially a high quality AGM. The 27 series X2 at Batteries Plus is a Northstar, a very fine AGM.
    I have been looking at the X2 but its $360, double what the 31 duracell costs. It does have a 4 year warranty, and thats a plus. Batteries plus doesnt list the reserve capacity, thats what I'd really like to see.

19. Member
    RC for that Northstar 27 is 195 minutes. Pretty high for a 27. Thinking about it again, you may be better off with the Duracell. Northstars like higher amp chargers. Your 6 amp/bank charger probably won’t work well with a Northstar and may reduce its life.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    RC for that Northstar 27 is 195 minutes. Pretty high for a 27. Thinking about it again, you may be better off with the Duracell. Northstars like higher amp chargers. Your 6 amp/bank charger probably won’t work well with a Northstar and may reduce its life.
    I ordered a MK 330 PC charger on Friday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast