Question Charging AGM tm batteries

I currently have a dual pro charger that the output is 6 amps per bank and is capable of charging the AGM batteries. I have seen where higher amperage has been recommended to charge the AGM batteries but I cant find any specs on charging them. I see a lot of 10amp chargers out there but if I have to buy a new charger why not go with 15 amp per bank?

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Every AGM is different. Some say no more than 10A and some say 40A minimum.

Post what batteries you have or are considering and I’ll try to find out what the charging recommendation is.

Voltage is where you need to be most careful on AGMs. Older chargers tend to charge at higher voltages that aren’t safe for the long-term health of an AGM.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Deka group 31 AGM is what I am looking to charge. My charger is a dual pro rs2 series and is 2 years old. I know it will be on the slow side charging it but as long as I don't damage the life of the battery but if I have to update 10 or 15 amp? Thanks

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jspell View Post
    Deka group 31 AGM is what I am looking to charge. My charger is a dual pro rs2 series and is 2 years old. I know it will be on the slow side charging it but as long as I don't damage the life of the battery but if I have to update 10 or 15 amp? Thanks
    I’ll get you some info tomorrow or maybe later tonight. Working on a tablet isn’t as easy as a computer, but it’s great when I’m out in the shop taking a break.
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    I’ll get you some info tomorrow or maybe later tonight. Working on a tablet isn’t as easy as a computer, but it’s great when I’m out in the shop taking a break.
    Thanks

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    East Penn never specifies a minimum charge current for their AGMs. For the 31, they mention currents of 9, 24 and 45A in their charge time examples. 6A might cause issues if you fish a long day then head out early the next morning, but probably no issues if there is 15 hours or so between ending one day of fishing and starting the next. East Penn emphasizes that your charger needs to be temperature compensated with the following voltages:

Attached Images Attached Images
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member
    Thanks for the information. I usually give at least 12 hours before heading to the lake again so maybe I might up grade chargers when I swap over to the larger batteries. I appreciate your help with this....

8. Member
    I use a 10 Amp portable car charger once in a while on my Duracell size 31 AGM if I fish a long time in a tournament with full accessories on and not much motor running. I don't have a on board charger for this battery. Three years and all just fine.