Washington DC visit

The wife had a few hours of work to do in DC Friday morning. Flew in Thursday night and stayed until Sunday afternoon. My first visit in around 40 years and had a really great time. Lots of memories flooding back of my family visiting there when I was just a 12 year old kid. Was able to walk all around town and see the beautiful mix if different architecture and monuments. Loved all of the the war memorials but especially liked the Korean War Veterans Memorial. Also took a guided walking tour through Arlington and have to admit that there was an overwhelming emotional part of the tour that was hard to work through. Just the thought of how many of our brave men and women have fought and died for our country and all of them being laid to rest with such honor that they deserve. Watched the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers and was absolutely amazed at just how perfect these young men are that guard this tomb. Thought I was holding it all together well until the wreath was presented and then Taps began playing. Totally lost it at that point. No matter how much division, and discord there is in our great country, it was really enjoyable to see thousands, upon thousands enjoying our great capital.
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

2. Member
    You got to see the snowfall on Saturday afternoon. It wasn’t for long, about three hours, but it was really pretty to watch it fall over the National Mall. There were a lot of folks in town, since it’s a long three day weekend. Hope you took time to visit the SI American History Museum - lots of great information there.

I love visiting there. I could spend a week or more going through all of the Smithsonian museums and visiting the memorials. Last time I went was as a guardian for an Honor Flight mission. Talk about emotional! It was also on Veterans Day and there was a presentation at the WWII memorial. We also visited every war memorial, all of the service memorials and the Udvar-Hazy museum by Dulles airport. I'll never forget that trip.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

4. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Udvar-Hazy is great.

We took my daughter there, she was maybe 10 years old. Throwing a fit because she did not want to go. Took less 5 minutes after we got there for her to just be staring in awe. Ended up having a hard getting her to leave.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    You got to see the snowfall on Saturday afternoon. It wasn’t for long, about three hours, but it was really pretty to watch it fall over the National Mall. There were a lot of folks in town, since it’s a long three day weekend. Hope you took time to visit the SI American History Museum - lots of great information there.
    The snow was very cool. Didn't visit that museum but did go to the Air and Space museum. Tried to visit the Holocaust Memorial but it was so crowded you couldn't enjoy it so we left

6. Member
    Can you believe we have lived here for 30 years now and have never been up in the Washington monument. I had to work downtown for 15 years after I retired from the Army and now we never go into town anymore. I rescued many tourists with kiddies as I would exit my building for anything and they would ask where they could find a restroom quickly. I would take them into the office for a pit stop and cold water if needed. One family offered to give me money in appreciation, but I just told them to enjoy their visit to the city. Met some really nice people.

7. Member
    If you think Taps at Arlington was emotional, try visiting The Wall. Anyhow, I'm glad you got to visit those places, especially if you are a veteran.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    If you think Taps at Arlington was emotional, try visiting The Wall. Anyhow, I'm glad you got to visit those places, especially if you are a veteran.
    I am not a veteran, but have a tremendous respect for them. Of course, for most of us, Taps is emotional no matter when or where. I did get to visit the Wall and found it to be a very somber, sobering site to visit. Lot of thoughts of how horrible some of our vets have been treated by the people they were fighting for.

9. Member
    The next time you're down there take a short drive over to the Naval Academy on route 50 east, it's worth the trip. My brother's buried there and I make a point of getting down there at least once a year. Lots to see and do there.
    2006 Ranger Z20 / 225HP Merc Pro XS

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smalljawguy View Post
    The snow was very cool. Didn't visit that museum but did go to the Air and Space museum. Tried to visit the Holocaust Memorial but it was so crowded you couldn't enjoy it so we left
    It’s a three day weekend, lots of folks on the National Mall. About the only time it cleared out, Saturday afternoon when the snow started to fall. The total was about 2” give or take, but enough to be pretty for a short time. Of course, by about 7pm, it turned to sleet and the fun was over. And, yes, the Holocaust Museum is a busy place. Best seen on a weekday.

11. Member
    TJ what were you doing there, shadow government meeting.

To the OP it is a beautiful place. Arlington was once the property of Robert E. Lee until the civil war came around.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jigman51 View Post
    TJ what were you doing there, shadow government meeting.
    Family in the Senate and Cabinet, no need to shadow.
    I’m eating my way through Arlington this evening.

The Korean war memorial, is my favorite at night. They are all wonderful at night. I always suggest seeing them at night, the lighting is amazing. Dad lives in Springfield, VA.

14. Member
    Spotsylvania, Va. 22553. Near Frederi mm lcksburg, Va
    I grew up across the river from Wash. DC and saw most every thing at least once.
    Been up the Washington Monument several times. Back in the day you could walk up and down the stairs.
    Lots of very neat places to see in DC. and surrounding cities.
    Visit if you get a chance. You'll enjoy it.