Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Help..Ultrex Draining Batteries,

GM all.

Been on the water twice now with New 24v 80 Lb Ultrex with I-Pilot Link and both times getting 3- 4 hours before Ultrex stops working, seemingly no power ( indicators all dark), foot pedal not operational. So after the first trip I replaced a 3 yr old battery and figured it was the problem, but then agin yesterday 2nd trip it stopped agin. The second battery is only 5 months old and I don't suspect it is bad, but will take it back this week to Walmart and do a warranty exchange to eliminate that possibility. Both batteries seem to be taking charge fine, monitoring the level lights on the on board charger I don't see anything that makes me think there is a battery or charger issue. On the water yesterday , one tool I didn't use was the battery indicator on the Link Handheld, will put that to use the next time I'm on the water. As far as use goes, I did use Spot lock yesterday quite a bit, but it wasn't windy so it's not like it was running constantly, but the batteries did seem drained when I got home.

I fish tournaments so I have to get 8 hrs out of my TM. Has anyone seen a similar issue, is there anything with the Ultrex that could or would cause fast battery discharge? What is the best way to isolate or troubleshoot what is going on?

Thanks, any help experience appreciated.
    J

2. Member
    First, we need to know what batteries you have.,
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

3. Member
    Thank you for the quick reply

Wallmart Everstart MAXX Premium. 29DC. The Ultrex was self installed, but from a wiring perspective I used the original Stratus manufacturing wiring from the old TM which was a Maxxum 65lb.. all I did for the new Ultrex was remove the Plug ( Male) from the Maxxum and put it on the wires wires that came with the Ultrex. Boat is Stratus 285, 18.5 ft so not too heavy for 80 Lb Ultrex.

As always, Thanks for the help
    J

4. Member
    Ultrex 24v 45" 80lb link here
    2 everstart 29dc batts, I get over 12hrs and it still is going when I get off the water.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

5. Member
    Thanks blkfalc4.. I've run the MAXX 29C's for years and never had problems. Do you have I-Pilot Link on your Ultrex? I can't imagine that could add much draw, but at this point I have to consider anything that could be cause.

J

6. Member
    I use 2 group 31 AGM battery’s for my Ultrex 80 link and have fished tournaments all day using spot lock in 20 mph winds with no issues. Probably fished 75 days on my new Ultrex last year. I did start with 2 new batteries purchased at the same time.

7. Member
    First things I would do is;
    1) Check all of the trolling motor wiring connections to make sure they are tight and corrosion free.

2) Pull prop and ensure the is nothing wrapped on the prop shaft impeding it from rotating.

3)Take some voltage measurements at the battery and trolling motor both before and after a day of fishing. Test the voltage at the trolling motor with it deployed and running on continuous at full power to see what the readings are.

4) Check the gauge of wiring being used to make sure it is of a sufficient size.

Though unless its bad I wouldn't expect it to be contributing to your battery drain issue, I would check the circuit break size as it is probably not the 60amp recommended size for the 80lb. thrust trolling motor.
    Last edited by mak747; 02-19-2018 at 10:40 AM.

8. Member
    Thanks all that have replied on this thread. I removed the plate on bow that has the Female side of the TM plug, cleaned the terminals and verified I have 24V at the front. I plugged the TM back in, hit the switch and nothing. With the switch on, I wiggled the plug and got lights. So it appears either the plug is going bad or when I wired the Male side of the plug to the Ultrex I didn't get everything back together good and tight. The symptom I saw both times doesn't really match a bad plug, both trips I unplugged and plugged several time and it didn't fix it, but clearly tonight in the garage a little movement on the plug made it go out. If I wanted to eliminate the plug all together, does anyone make a connector block or switch I could use to connect the wires at the bow?

Quote Originally Posted by jaytd View Post
    Thanks all that have replied on this thread. I removed the plate on bow that has the Female side of the TM plug, cleaned the terminals and verified I have 24V at the front. I plugged the TM back in, hit the switch and nothing. With the switch on, I wiggled the plug and got lights. So it appears either the plug is going bad or when I wired the Male side of the plug to the Ultrex I didn't get everything back together good and tight. The symptom I saw both times doesn't really match a bad plug, both trips I unplugged and plugged several time and it didn't fix it, but clearly tonight in the garage a little movement on the plug made it go out. If I wanted to eliminate the plug all together, does anyone make a connector block or switch I could use to connect the wires at the bow?
    Battery Tender is the one I bought. It is a great plug. https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...ing+motor+plug
    Sam Dunaway
    2005 Triton TR-21X
    Powered by Suzuki 250SS

10. Member
    If you have the Marinco style plug that allows the trolling motor wires to screw to the back of the receptical, you can drill a small hole, apx 1/2", in the panel beside the plug, run the Ultrex wires through the panel and put ring terminals on the Ultrex wire. Then you would simply use the plug as a terminal block, attaching the positive trolling motor wire to the same terminal "stacking" the two wires and holding down with the receptical screw. Do the same for the ground. Cover the hole with a cover of some type -- I use a stainless clam shell.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

11. Member
    Thanks everyone for the response and ideas with this. I'm going to rewire the plug one last time, if I still have problems I'll eliminate one way or another.

Can I ask where you get the stainless Clamshell cover you use?

Thanks again,
    J
    Last edited by jaytd; 02-20-2018 at 07:39 AM. Reason: added statement

12. Member
    The Battery Tender plug/receptacle which eliteangler recommended is probably the best option Ive seen for a trolling motor connector and is what I would've gone with if I hadn't already installed the Marinco one. With that being said, I am happy with the build quality and performance of the Marinco 70 amp plug/receptacle.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

13. Member
    If you hardwire the motor, don't forget to add a cut off switch. I believe it is recommended to disconnect power before charging the batteries.
    Wes

14. Member
    GM all.

Been on the water twice now with New 24v 80 Lb Ultrex with I-Pilot Link and both times getting 3- 4 hours before Ultrex stops working, seemingly no power ( indicators all dark), foot pedal not operational. So after the first trip I replaced a 3 yr old battery and figured it was the problem, but then agin yesterday 2nd trip it stopped agin. The second battery is only 5 months old and I don't suspect it is bad, but will take it back this week to Walmart and do a warranty exchange to eliminate that possibility.
    J
    So you were using a 3 year old battery with a 5 month old battery? Usually you want the batteries to be from the same time. Last year I ran my ultrex 112 on a two 7 year old blue top optimas and a a 3 year old exide and didn't have a problem running all day, they were all group 27. This year replaced all 3 with group 31dc duracell's from Sam's club.
    2003 Skeeter ZX200

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D Dad View Post
    If you hardwire the motor, don't forget to add a cut off switch. I believe it is recommended to disconnect power before charging the batteries.
    What is everyone running for a cut off switch if you direct wire your trolling motor?
    2003 Skeeter ZX200

16. Member
    GM all.

Been on the water twice now with New 24v 80 Lb Ultrex with I-Pilot Link and both times getting 3- 4 hours before Ultrex stops working, seemingly no power ( indicators all dark), foot pedal not operational. So after the first trip I replaced a 3 yr old battery and figured it was the problem, but then agin yesterday 2nd trip it stopped agin. The second battery is only 5 months old and I don't suspect it is bad, but will take it back this week to Walmart and do a warranty exchange to eliminate that possibility. Both batteries seem to be taking charge fine, monitoring the level lights on the on board charger I don't see anything that makes me think there is a battery or charger issue. On the water yesterday , one tool I didn't use was the battery indicator on the Link Handheld, will put that to use the next time I'm on the water. As far as use goes, I did use Spot lock yesterday quite a bit, but it wasn't windy so it's not like it was running constantly, but the batteries did seem drained when I got home.

I fish tournaments so I have to get 8 hrs out of my TM. Has anyone seen a similar issue, is there anything with the Ultrex that could or would cause fast battery discharge? What is the best way to isolate or troubleshoot what is going on?

Thanks, any help experience appreciated.
    J
    24v is not good on a fully charged set of batteries, you should be getting 25.2- 25.6 , what is voltage of each individual battery, then combined voltage , then compare that to voltage measured at plug.....sounds like one of your batteries is going out or sulfated bad....
    2016 Tracker pro team 175txw 75hp 4 stroke
    helix 12 si console helix 10 di and helix 10 si bow and ulterra 80 i-pilot link and transom 360 and Garmin 126sv and Livescope

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bwank1124 View Post
    What is everyone running for a cut off switch if you direct wire your trolling motor?
    ranger installed one in the battery compartment. Off/run/jump start. When off everything is disconnected including the ignition and motor trim. As well as any graphs hooked up to main connection and the TM.

Thanks everyone for the response and ideas with this. I'm going to rewire the plug one last time, if I still have problems I'll eliminate one way or another.

Can I ask where you get the stainless Clamshell cover you use?

Thanks again,
    J

Bass Pro has them
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

I was jammed up for space so I removed the Marineco plug and installed a Minn Kota trolling motor plug. Sort of a pain to put together but if assembled correctly makes a good secure connection that can be unplugged if necessary.

https://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Outdo.../dp/B001PTHKSA
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

20. Member
    My 36 volt ultrex draws way less juice then my old motorguide, i can fish 10 hours and still have plenty of power. Recharges in no time. The problem may be with your ultrex. I use the same batteries ad you. I know this is a old post , I assume you figured it out 😂

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast