Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    All great options. You will most likely be happy with any of them. Before you make a final choice you might want to consider the Pantera line from Bass Cat. They build one helluva bass boat!

2. Member
    I was looking at all those boats over the last few years. I was on vacation in TN and stopped in several dealers along the way. I did test run the 618 and it is one nice ride. For me and my wife I we will have a dual console. I really liked the partners rod storage but it is not possible or difficult to access with the second console installed. I guess it came down to a choice between the Ranger and the 618, all personal preference. However do not jump on the Bass Cat bandwagon until you sit in one. I did. It is longer but narrow as hell compared to the 618, Ranger 185 or Triton 189 . If you prefer longer narrower boats, like the old Champions and most all the cats then go for it. It was just not as nice to me. As for riding better, I admit I did not run a Cat, but the 618 ran smoother than any other glas boat I have ridden in. Do not take mine or anyone else suggestions without going and sitting in each one and then riding in each one.

3. Member
    Save money get a better fishing platform and more agile boat. ZX200 with 200 SHO or ZX190

4. Member
    Based off the fact you want to keep it for 20 years I vote ranger. And like I saw above get it white and not so sparkly. It will last much longer than a dark boat as far as fading

Quote Originally Posted by Loomis88 View Post
    Save money get a better fishing platform and more agile boat. ZX200 with 200 SHO or ZX190
    He said he wants a tournament boat. The tiny livewells in the ZX190 would rule that one out.
    Sick, tired, hungry, broke, busted, disgusted, can't be trusted, been imposed on and won't fight

My first boat was an 18 foot bass tracker. Two more glass boats after that and I just ordered my dream rig.

Buy used figure out what you like and upgrade accordingly.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

7. Member
    Want to thank everyone for the input.... still a tough choice but I think I may have eliminated nitro now... guess the next step is to see what each will cost with the custom graphs that I was and trolling motor.... again thanks for the help from everyone... just joined this site but can see now that this is a great group to be in....

8. Member
    In actuality all of the boats would make great fishing machines, however there will be one boat that makes your inner motor run. That's the one to buy.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmiller0985 View Post
    Want to thank everyone for the input.... still a tough choice but I think I may have eliminated nitro now... guess the next step is to see what each will cost with the custom graphs that I was and trolling motor.... again thanks for the help from everyone... just joined this site but can see now that this is a great group to be in....
    If I were you I'd buy your graphs from one of our sponsors like BBG Marine. The markup on most of those things is rediculous from the dealer or manufacturers. It's really not that hard to DIY and you'll save a lot.

10. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Have you looked at Charger?

11. Member
    If you want to keep it for 20 years, I would look into a 19’ with 200HP if you can stretch the budget and make it work. Speaking from experience the difference between most 18 and 19 foot boats in rougher water is night and day.
    BassCat Cougar FTD / Mercury 250 ProXS
    Lowrance / Garmin

12. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    3 are made by the same company and the Phoenix. I'd go with the Phoenix. I'd also check out a Bass Cat! Probably a surprise!

13. Member
    Just curious why no basscat on the list?

14. Member
    I'd choose the Phoenix first and a close second to the Ranger but, you know what they say about opinions...
    If you are going to keep any modern 'glass boat for 20 years I would do alot of research on hull blisters and do absolutely everything you can to prevent them....

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoomworms View Post
    Just curious why no basscat on the list?

It is now.... i didn't realize that BassCat made a boat in that range.

16. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    What part of the state are you from???
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

17. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    What part of the state are you from???

"small" livewells: an 18' boat will not have huge live wells like a 21' boat...yes they may vary per boat mfg.....i had a Skeeter SX 190 (18.5') prior to the Phoneix i have now.....fished out of it for 12 yrs.....NEVER had an issue with the live wells and very rarely lost a fish, if i did it was cause it was gut hooked or something to that affect, not cause the lw was small......if you take care of the fish you will not lose them....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

18. Member
    Phoenix - they will still take care of any issues for you in 20 years. I'm biased, but their customer service is insanely good, and they just flat out make a great boat. Those 618s are super nice rides for an 18 footer. I came out of an 18 foot Triton and it was a back-breaker in rough water.

2022 21PHX

Previous boats:
    2017 Phoenix 721 ProXP
    2000 Triton TR186

2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

20. Member
    LAKE CHARLES AREA

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast