T Dub

Speed shooter rods

Has anyone used one of the new Wally Marshall “Speed Shooter” rods made by Lew’s yet? I love dock shooting and throwing grubs in general so I bought 2 of the 7’ model today. Probably won’t get to try them out for a week or so and wondering if anyone has one.

2. Member
    Got one last year when they were just out. 7' er that I have a 2500 Shimano on.. Not so many docks here, but a lot of low hangers to shoot under and tight spots to get into. Plus I shoot a lot in windy open water areas to keep the line low to the water. 4 lb line and 1/32 oz jig/plastic I am getting 55-60 ft. Not so much with hand-ties. I am very impressed with the rod and find myself using it more and more. If I go to a pond and only take one rod, this is it. I really like the backbone (ML power) and especially the fast action. Actually think the rod would be a good fit for some green carp drop-shotting and Slider worms, etc. Came pretty close to getting one for my grandson, and may still do so.

3. Member
    I have 2 7ft and 2 6'6" shooters on order. Looking forward to trying them myself.

4. T Dub
    I took one to the lake today just to test for a cast or two with a 2500 Stradic and I think it will work great. Casts fine and shoots fine. I like to use 8lb test for grubs so I won’t quite get the shooting distance of 4 or 6lb. Can’t wait to get that first “doink” of the year!

5. Member
    I'm headed to Academy tomorrow to purchase one, been looking for something to spend those gift cards on!
    Last edited by 2004Rhino; 02-20-2018 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Misspelled
    2002 Basstracker Pro-Team 185xt
    90 HP Tracker by Mercury
    MinnKota Ulltrex 80/45
    HB 858 DI @ Bow
    HB 998 SI @ Console

6. T Dub
    Quote Originally Posted by 2004Rhino View Post
    I'm headed to Academy tomorrow to purchase one, been looking for something to spend those gift cards on!
    That’s where I found the 2 I bought. They only had 3 7’ in stock. Check online to be sure your store has the length you want in stock.

7. Member
    Are these 1 or 2 piece rods?

8. T Dub
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrasport80 View Post
    Are these 1 or 2 piece rods?
    1 piece

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by T Dub View Post
    That’s where I found the 2 I bought. They only had 3 7’ in stock. Check online to be sure your store has the length you want in stock.

Only had 6'6" model, I'm going to have to order online. ��
    2002 Basstracker Pro-Team 185xt
    90 HP Tracker by Mercury
    MinnKota Ulltrex 80/45
    HB 858 DI @ Bow
    HB 998 SI @ Console

10. T Dub
    Finally got to do some grub fishing with them today - fished for a couple hours after work until dark. I like the rods a lot. Caught 13 crappie, 7 of which kept and one was a 14”er. It’s still a little early for the way I like to catch crappie, but I wanted to go before this cold snap coming. Rods are definitely worth $45!

11. T Dub
    Put the speed shooters to work today. Fished after work for about 3 hours and caught 40 or so and kept a limit. Almost all of them were caught shooting shallow docks. Only change I might make is switching to 6lb. test instead of 8 for a little more shooting distance.

12. Member
    I would imagine 6lb would be more than adequate for most docks. I'm running 4lb on mine BUT I don't have docks per se, just low branches, limbs and tight spots. Only dock here is a shallow courtesy one. I really like my Speed Shooter (7') and think it has enough spine with the fast action to be useful in some finesse bass applications. DS, shakey head and slider fishing for sure.