Banned

Finding and Installing The Right Hot Foot?

I've a 2000 Stratos with a 2013 Mercury Pro XS. Serial# 2B018990 Model# 1175P73EY. The existing throttle cable end which connects to the Hot Foot throttle control pedal connects by a pin. I made a mistake in saying the Hot Foot throttle control pedal that I need to replace require a threaded throttle cable end. It does not.
    Last edited by Heelman99; 02-21-2018 at 07:13 PM.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Depends on which "Hot Foot Throttle Brand" you are referring to. None of them are going to require a "treaded cable end".

There are two cable designs: Generation-1 and Generation-2. Just need to purchase the correct length MERCURY cable, in the correct generation for the Hotfoot you choose.

That's normally going to be 2-3' longer than the original throttle cable.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Depends on which "Hot Foot Throttle Brand" you are referring to. None of them are going to require a "treaded cable end".

There are two cable designs: Generation-1 and Generation-2. Just need to purchase the correct length MERCURY cable, in the correct generation for the Hotfoot you choose.

That's normally going to be 2-3' longer than the original throttle cable.
    Thanks Don I found out exactly what you stated. I had the original Hot Foot assembly of my 2000 Stratos to break and am replacing with a T-H universal Hot foot. The one I found the throttle cable connects from the front of the Hot Foot assembly. The throttle cable connected to the old Hot Foot assembly, which just broke, from a top load position. I can not locate a Telflex Hot Foot assembly like the unit originally on my Stratos.

4. Member
    You need a Gen1 cable.

5. Banned
    I don't know what the Gen-1 cable is. In my original post I said there was a threaded cable end. It is not a threaded end. The Cable end is the standard throttle cable end that would take a pin through the eye allowing the cable to pivot on the linkage pin. I have been instructed to contact T-H- Marine for the correct model Hot Foot throttle control. I called T-H Marine to find a HF-1T-DP model Hot Foot is what I will need. I appreciate all the responce in this issue I ha. I started out making the wrong inquiry. Sorry 'bout that.
    Last edited by Heelman99; 02-21-2018 at 07:04 PM.

6. Member
    It is a Mercury Marine Generation 1 cable, which can be obtained at ANY Mercury Dealer.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you can specify length- one of us will be glad to provide you with the Part Number.

You can also simply order a Gen-1 Cable from Rhonda:
    If you want to order or price Mercury Engine Parts or Accessories...

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Banned
    Thank you both Don and Savage for your expert help in this matter. I have a 2013 175hp Mercury Pro XS serial# 2B018990 model#1175P73EY. I checked the existing throttle cable for item numbers to find this cable is a TelFlex CC17915 Throttle cable. With the new T&H Hot Foot Top Load Foot Throttle model HF-1T-DP I will need a cable with the black ball thing near the end that attaches to the Hot Foot. I believe that cable is a Gen I cable. I believe the existing cable with item number CC17915 is 15 foot long. Please don't give up on me yet!
    Last edited by Heelman99; 02-22-2018 at 05:05 PM.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That will be a Gen-1 Cable. You should take some measurements and see if 3' additional cable is going to allow for routing without "kinking" the cable (ie: 18' cable).
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 03-06-2018 at 12:03 PM.

10. Banned
    Thanks again Don. I checked the existing cable again it functions good. At present it operates a just a little stiff like it could use a little lubing. Can it be lubed without removing it from the motor? At present time I am able to install it to the T&H Hot Foot and place in the position the original throttle pedal was at.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I would not use any cable that feels "stiff" in your throttle application.

Consider that a SAFETY item.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    That will be a Gen-1 Cable. You should take some measurements and see if 3" additional cable is going to allow for routing without "kinking" the cable (ie: 18' cable).
    Believe Don meant 3' (feet) not inches.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Believe Don meant 3' (feet) not inches.
    Correct. Thanks, Savage!

14. Banned
    Whew! I want to thank both of you guys for helping me in this task. Finally got Hot Foot installed and everything is functioning great. Matter of fact the Mercury 175 Pro XS is pushing my Stratos better than it has since I have had the boat in 2000. I honestly think that the old hot foot throttle, Tel-flex hot foot throttle which never heard of, wasn't allowing the Mercury throttle to open up completely.
    I do have one more concern I have run into since my throttle issue. This 2013 175 Mercury Pro XS, model#1175P73EY, Serial# 2B018990 when I start from idle and accelerate to on-plane speed running and slowly accelerate to WOT with water pressure at and not below 12 psi my GPS speed will reach between 58-62 mph. But at times the engine seems to bog down. Slowing to approx. 50-55 mph it will miss-slight hesitate, then suddenly pick back up and run smoothly to a WOT speed. First thing I thought was fuel quality concerns, then maybe a air bubble in fuel line. This concern doesn't happen everytime just at times. Is there anything I might do to diagnose or determine this cause?

15. Member
    Perform a spark test as the problem is occurring.

16. Banned
    Savage Guess I'm ignorant. what is a Spark test? Since this occurrence doesn't happen every time I run the motor but at random unpredictable times. I also understand can't determine fix unless can recreate problem.

17. Member
    Dealers perform it to check for a intermittent spark condition. DIY guys can check by watching the flash pattern of a timing light connected to each cylinder.

18. Banned
    OK thank you sir. I am due to have the motor in for it's normal service and will have the tech check out my issue when he takes the boat/motor out for lake test. Thanks again
    i