Pantera IV gas smell in lockers

I have an 07 Pantera IV that I bought used a few years ago. Since I bought it the rod lockers have smelled of gas . They boat was in awesome condition and was not going to pass on it just for that. All the hose fitting back in the battery compartment on the fuel system are tight. Was going to add the carpeted step instead of the fold up seat so since I was going to do some work in the seating area I figured I would pull the seats out and check the mid section gas tank hoses. Anybody have any insight now to pull those seats out or where the gas smell may be coming from? Do any PIV owners have the same problem?
    07 Pantera IV /200 Mercury Optimax

2. Member
    I have a 2011 Puma and have the same problem. It's only really after completely filling the belly tank. It gets so bad that my rod socks smell like fuel. I have not seen any visible signs of a leak.

3. Banned
    Older Fuel lines may not hold up to E-10 fuel not do some seals.
    Taking the seat area/belly tank cover off is doable and will allow you to make all upgrades ans see of tank is sweating.
    Get that fixed and your catch rate will increase ten fold.

All BCB lines have been ethanol resistant since the mid 1980's.

5. Member
    I had a P4 that the tank fitting was screwed in wrong from the factory kinda crossed threaded if that makes sense.
    unscrewed and put in properly fixed the problem.

6. Member
    My PIV has the same gas smell when I first open the rod lockers but not as bad in the other storage boxes. Not as bad in the colder months but much more noticeable in the warmer months. If I don't have my cover on the boat you will hardly notice it when opening the lockers. I have never found any evidence of leaking gas.
    2007 Bass Cat Pantera IV
    2018 G3 Sportsman 1710

7. Member
    Hmmm... Thanks for the replies ... I guess Bass cat doesn't have an answer . Probably wasting my time I guess by taking the seats out.

If there's no evident fuel then we would not suspect the fuel tanks. Plastic tanks has permeation of the plastic tank itself (membrane) and the newer tanks have non permeable liners. The newer tanks also have sealed fuel lids and pressurized systems. Older tanks were full flow and no restrictions like FLVV and Opacity valving on newer tanks.

9. Member
    Thanks BCB