Stainless Fasteners on Aluminum Boat

I have two panels on the rear corners of the boat that are attached with screws. I was doing my early season checkup and found one on the starboard side was stripped. The screw has to remain removable to access the area where cables/wiring is ran. I found threaded inserts which resemble rivets with internal threads and plan on using those. Since stainless will be in contact with the aluminum in some manner would you use the aluminum inserts with stainless screws or stainless inserts with stainless screws. I am leaning towards stainless as that would be less likely to strip but just wanted any other opinions or experiences. Thank you.
    USMC (Ret) 1988-2008
    2014 Lowe Stinger ST175
    Mercury 75 HP four stroke

2. Banned
    If not in salt water I wouldn't worry about it. Although stain to stain tends to gull use some antisieze.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket man View Post
    If not in salt water I wouldn't worry about it. Although stain to stain tends to gull use some antisieze.
    Thank you.
    USMC (Ret) 1988-2008
    2014 Lowe Stinger ST175

I have several places that stainless is in contact with aluminum...no problems. I have a transducer that I am pretty sure has stainless screws and has been there for years.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Panama View Post
    I have several places that stainless is in contact with aluminum...no problems. I have a transducer that I am pretty sure has stainless screws and has been there for years.
    Thank you.
    USMC (Ret) 1988-2008
    2014 Lowe Stinger ST175

6. Member
    Bought my boat new in 2000. Soon after, I replaced 99% of all fasteners with Stainless. Never a problem removing the decks after the change-out. Boat stays inside and has only been used in Fresh waster though.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb View Post
    Bought my boat new in 2000. Soon after, I replaced 99% of all fasteners with Stainless. Never a problem removing the decks after the change-out. Boat stays inside and has only been used in Fresh waster though.
    Thank you.
    USMC (Ret) 1988-2008
    2014 Lowe Stinger ST175

If it's a Phillips head change out to a hex head a lot easier to remove and install with a nutdriver or battery drill. Lowes has most sizes in SS

9. Member
    I use that combo a lot on the boat and use anti seize for easy removal. The screws can get hard to remove some times especially if high is evolved like spark plugs in aluminum heads.

10. Member
    What you are talking about sounds like Riv-Nuts. We use them all the time in blind panel fastener installations. The aluminum ones will be fine with stainless screws. Stainless Riv-Nuts will take a LOT more torque to smash and engage than the aluminum ones. Just be careful not to overtighten them and you shouldn't have to worry about stripping them out. Whatever you do though, do not use carbon steel fasteners on your boat, you will have corrosion issues if you do.

11. Member
    Rivet nut or crush nut. They are available in different sizes or materials. Mixing materials in salt water is much more important than fresh water.

Here are the front and back photos of a 5/16" aluminum one set in bright aluminum checker plate. I use these in aluminum, with stainless fasteners. Also, all stainless fasteners always get a little red or blue thread locker.

Attached Images Attached Images

12. Member
    Thanks for all of the responses.
    USMC (Ret) 1988-2008
    2014 Lowe Stinger ST175

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Windy City View Post
    Rivet nut or crush nut. They are available in different sizes or materials. Mixing materials in salt water is much more important than fresh water.

Here are the front and back photos of a 5/16" aluminum one set in bright aluminum checker plate. I use these in aluminum, with stainless fasteners. Also, all stainless fasteners always get a little red or blue thread locker.

AKA threadserts or nutserts

Why not just step up to the next bigger screw? I have done this on tin and glass and works really well.
    2014 X19
    2014 200 SHO

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FES313 View Post
    Why not just step up to the next bigger screw? I have done this on tin and glass and works really well.
    Just wanting to get to a stopping point. Sooner or later there won't be a bigger screw. This way if it strips again, remove insert (drill or grind) and replace.

Thanks for all of the responses.
    USMC (Ret) 1988-2008
    2014 Lowe Stinger ST175

16. Banned
    Your doing it the right way. I did the same thing on my tracker front deck. These will not strip if you start the screw straight. Rivit nut is the way to go.