Thread: as we get older

as we get older

I turned 68 last week. For the last 6 months I have had trouble just making good contact with the ball. I don't expect to keep the same distance nor the same flexibility as the years go by. But what about just making good contact with the ball? Even on my 5 yard chip shot I no longer get the good consistent contact. I am taking a few lessons and have improved ball striking close in but still not as constant as I want. Do others in their late 60s and 70s have similar problems?

2. Member
    I've been playing with a group of retired the past three years. I think they youngest is 72 and the oldest is 87....although he doesn't play as often as he use to. For the most part, they are like the rest of us, some days the ball striking is there, some days not so much. One thing I have noticed is that their back swings seem to go to 3/4. You might want to try shortening the back swing a little and think about just keeping everything smooth.
    Last edited by EddieC; 02-18-2018 at 08:19 PM.

I'm not at your age yet but are you breaking down your left arm? Is it bent at address through the back swing and down through the follow through? If so this can cause you to come outside in (over the top) and get more toe hits and scrub a whole lot of distance and not have solid contact. Your right hand take over on the downswing and causes this outside in swing plane (assuming your a righty)
    Try to keep the left arm as straight as possible throughout your swing and this will keep you more on plane.

If this doesn't help drink more beer during the round then age won't be your excuse.
    1996 ProCraft 185 DC Pro, Mercury EFI 150

4. Member
    One other thing to consider - have you had you eyes checked? If your vision isn’t quite where it used to be, maybe hand / eye coordination is suffering?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by haha View Post
    I'm not at your age yet but are you breaking down your left arm? Is it bent at address through the back swing and down through the follow through? If so this can cause you to come outside in (over the top) and get more toe hits and scrub a whole lot of distance and not have solid contact. Your right hand take over on the downswing and causes this outside in swing plane (assuming your a righty)
    Try to keep the left arm as straight as possible throughout your swing and this will keep you more on plane.

If this doesn't help drink more beer during the round then age won't be your excuse.
    Sage advice.

6. Member
    I'm almost 68 and have been improving!!! (that's how bad I was) but anyway I find the biggy for me has been wanting to straighten up and let my arms do the swinging...not good as you know. That was also sound advice above about not bringing club back so far....has been working for me. Good Luck

7. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    More than likely you are losing flexibility. I'd suggest that anyone that is serious about golf, to start doing a yoga or a golf stretching routine. Especially if you are over the age of 40.