Falcon Cara advice??

I have a few Caras already, and I love them. I'm looking to pick up a new one specifically for 3/8-5/8oz jigs. I'm currently using the Carolina Lizard Dragger I. It's perfect for T-rigs and finesse jigs, but I'd like something a lil heavier for football jigs, Mop jigs, etc.

I'm torn between the Carolina Lizard Dragger II and the Pro Grass rod. I'm slightly put off by the moderate fast taper Falcon lists for the Lizard Dragger II. I love the taper of my Lizard Dragger I. I just want something a little stiffer. I'm nervous that the Pro Grass will be a broomstick with no tip.

Anyone have experience with either/both of these willing to share their opinions?

I don’t know if I am qualified to give advice but I have over 20 Caras. I always find it interesting to hear others uses for different rods. I have 3 Lizard Dragger I’s and I love them for Texas rigs but for me personally they would be to heavy for a finesse jig but good for what you are wanting. I am not a big fan of the LD II either but I love the Amistad for the applications you are asking about. It is a 7’3” heavy but has a great tip. Don’t know if that helps. I think the Pro Grass is pretty heavy but I don’t own that one.
    2015 Ranger Z520c / 2015 Mercury 250 Pro XS

3. Member
    The Amistad would probably be the perfect blank for my application, but I will not use a split grip rod....well, at least not for tip up techniques. I've never felt the LDII or Pro Grass, but I'll settle on one or the other.
    In your opinion, does the LD II have a slower taper/action than the LD I? I'm not fond of moderate tapers for bottom contact lures.

4. Banned
    I like the pro grass for 3/4 oz football jigs and 3/4-1oz Carolina rig. It has a fairly soft tip considering how it has a really heavy backbone. It's a little more on the heavy side than what I would consider perfect but the sensitivity is great and the tip loads well casting. By your description of the lizard dragger I, the pro-grass might be perfect for you though.

for 3/8-5/8 oz I would prefer a slightly lighter action than the pro-grass but everyone is different.

5. Member
    Thanks for the opinions, guys. It sure would nice if someone local carried these. It's always a crap shoot when ordering rods you haven't handled first. I've got some deciding to do.

6. Member
    I have the Pro grass--actually 2--love them for a heavy jig-3/4oz and up. think they might be too much rod for the jigs you are talking about. Would think the Amistad would work real well for them. My.02. Good luck on your choice--hard to go wrong with falcon

7. Member
    Thanks. I agree. The only rods I've ever used that I liked any more were the original GLXs, but my Caras are really close.

8. Member
    Amistad is my vote
    Nitro z21

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonG View Post
    Amistad is my vote
    Agree with this, Amistad is the one to use. It is definitely not 'typical' Falcon action but a true fast action blank, not moderate by any means. Awesome jig rod.

10. Member
    I've got a couple of Amistads and a couple of Lizzard Draggers and one Lizzard Dragger II, look at the Lizzard Dragger II as it's a heavier action plus it comes in solid grip. I use it for heavier jigs. Since I've moved to North AR from South AR, fishing Bull Shoals and Table Rock vs stump field lakes with lilly pads, my Amistads aren't even in the boat.

3/4 oz football head jigs >>> Amistad for me

1/2 - 5/8 oz >>> Head Turner for me

"ain't too smart.....but I'm always thinkin"

12. Member
    Thanks for the insight, guys. I believe I'm going with the Lizard Dragger II.

13. Member
    Amistad I shard to beat, but they used to make, not sure if they still do, a 7'4 mike McClelland Football jig rod. It has a touch more tip than the Amistad and tends to throw lighter lures a little better. !/2 and 3/8 work much better on the 7'4 to me than on the Amistad. Amistad is one of the best all around rods I have ever owned and have have about a dozen. I think i could getaway with just Amistads and Deep runners or most applications. Ive used Falcons for years and have nothing but good words to say, they fish great, customer service has always been great, and durability is been awesome for me as well. Head turner is also a good rod, but I don't like it or on long casting situations, its 6'10 but great dock skipper!

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix5252 View Post
    Amistad I shard to beat, but they used to make, not sure if they still do, a 7'4 mike McClelland Football jig rod. It has a touch more tip than the Amistad and tends to throw lighter lures a little better. !/2 and 3/8 work much better on the 7'4 to me than on the Amistad. Amistad is one of the best all around rods I have ever owned and have have about a dozen. I think i could getaway with just Amistads and Deep runners or most applications. Ive used Falcons for years and have nothing but good words to say, they fish great, customer service has always been great, and durability is been awesome for me as well. Head turner is also a good rod, but I don't like it or on long casting situations, its 6'10 but great dock skipper!
    Yes falcon still makes the 7' 4" McClelland rod. I have this rod also and yes it probably would be great for the weight jigs OP was talking about. I actually use it the most for pitching soft plastics but it is also a great rod that handles many different applications well

15. Banned
    Amistad 7'3 heavy is my multi use rod, favored rods in my locker.

16. Member
    Get the Amistad!!!