Recessed Trolling Motor Tray

I'm getting ready to install a recessed trolling motor tray in my 1990 Quickfire 18FDX, has anyone else done this? It looks like I'm going to have to cut a little bit of the support that encases the rod box that sits in the driver's side of the boat, any problem with doing that? If I move the tray further back I don't like where I will be standing as I really like to be pretty far forward when I fish.

2. Member
    No problem with cutting the support on the Astro I had. The support is pretty large and a chunk out of it won't hurt it. You'll see what I mean when you get in there. Here's a tip for you, use a skill saw for the long cuts and edge it out with a jigsaw. It's easier to start if you use a drill with a large bit and do the corners first. Remember, it doesn't have to be perfect (but you want it right) because the lip on the tray will overlap the cut. Make sure to singe the edges of the carpet with a lighter to prevent unraveling prior to dropping the tray in.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dstep0 View Post
    No problem with cutting the support on the Astro I had. The support is pretty large and a chunk out of it won't hurt it. You'll see what I mean when you get in there. Here's a tip for you, use a skill saw for the long cuts and edge it out with a jigsaw. It's easier to start if you use a drill with a large bit and do the corners first. Remember, it doesn't have to be perfect (but you want it right) because the lip on the tray will overlap the cut. Make sure to singe the edges of the carpet with a lighter to prevent unraveling prior to dropping the tray in.
    Awesome, thank you!