anyone dealing with Arthritis in your feet?

so, i was just diagnosed with arthritis in my left foot, and let me tell you i never thought Arthritis could or would hurt like this,
    now i'm wondering how this is going to affect my fishing this year, i have never been one to set on the boat while i'm fishing and not sure i can.the pain never seems to go away !!

for anyone that has Arthritis in their feet, what have you found to manage the pain while fishing?

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir fishalot View Post
    so, i was just diagnosed with arthritis in my left foot, and let me tell you i never thought Arthritis could or would hurt like this,
    now i'm wondering how this is going to affect my fishing this year, i have never been one to set on the boat while i'm fishing and not sure i can.the pain never seems to go away !!

for anyone that has Arthritis in there feet, what have you found to manage the pain while fishing?
    My wife has it in both feet and her back.....she suffers terribly from it. Daily she takes very high doses of maloxicam for pain. She gets shots in both feet every 6 months. She wears shoes from SAS. Hate to tell you but the long term prognosis is not good. Surgery is an option (to fuse all the joints in the foot.....and there are many) but only a last resort. A lot of doctors won’t do it because success rate is only about 70% and recovery time is very long......typically a year. Find a good pain med that you can tolerate. I wish you well.

welcome to BBC, and i feel your pain, i have some nephropathy and just had a bout with gout....they gout was/is something else, do you have a recessed tray for your trolling motor??? they will help back/leg and feet problems some
    Putting a clown in the castle doesn't make him a king, it turns the castle into a circus

I have rheumatoid arthritis and I have found that the tommy copper compression socks help. Meds aren't the best option all the time the side effects are sometimes worse than the disease. Keep a positive additude and realize that there will be some good days and some bad days. Good luck

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingwillie View Post
    My wife has it in both feet and her back.....she suffers terribly from it. Daily she takes very high doses of maloxicam for pain. She gets shots in both feet every 6 months. She wears shoes from SAS. Hate to tell you but the long term prognosis is not good. Surgery is an option (to fuse all the joints in the foot.....and there are many) but only a last resort. A lot of doctors won’t do it because success rate is only about 70% and recovery time is very long......typically a year. Find a good pain med that you can tolerate. I wish you well.
    i truly fill sorry for your wife, i only have it in one foot, can not imagine the pain she fills.
    i'm only in my second week after being diagnosed, Doctor put me on 800mg Ibupronfen, she ask me if i wanted the shot i said no. but the ibuprofen seems to have done nothing for the pain. i guess the shot will be the next step..
    if you don't mind me asking, did hers just start in one area and slowly move to other parts of her body?

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    i truly fill sorry for your wife, i only have it in one foot, can not imagine the pain she fills.
    i'm only in my second week after being diagnosed, Doctor put me on 800mg Ibupronfen, she ask me if i wanted the shot i said no. but the ibuprofen seems to have done nothing for the pain. i guess the shot will be the next step..
    if you don't mind me asking, did her just start in one area and slowly move to other parts of her body?
    Normal arthritis or osteoarthritis is inflammation around a joint, and the most common cause is deterioration of soft tissue in the joint. It’s generally caused by injury or wear and tear. It isn’t going to spread unless the things that caused it one place also happened at the other.

Using a joint with arthritis can cause inflammation which makes it hurt worse. Not using a joint with arthritis can make it more painful too.

When you take an anti-inflammatory, it won’t generally give immediate relief, but the effect will grow over days as the inflammation is reduced.

Losing weight if you are even a little too heavy would be a high priority.

But you need information from your doctor. There are other types of arthritis. Gout is a common one and the treatment is completely different.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

7. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I have it in 1 foot and both my knees and shoulders and 1 elbow and both hands not a very fun thing but I live with it, I take Methrotrexate and prednisone but she wants me off the steroids been on too long , she prescribed some cream Diclofenac Sodium gel to rub on it's like ibuprofen but topical my stomach can't handle more pills...lol seems to help quite a bit talk to your dr maybe something you can use also. I have a hand control motor and butt seat to make it easier on the water also the tommy copper arm bands help a lot...arthritis sucks hang in there brother
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

8. Member
    Sir Fishalot,

Some of this has been mentioned above. Had it for 30 years with multiple foot joint fusion surgeries. A key is to find out "what type of arthritis" is afflicting you, there are over a 100 types and different meds help alleviate different types. If it is just general arth from age or wear and tear, then you know better how to treat it. Basically there are meds to reduce the inflammation and meds to alleviate the pain, if over the counter is not working then as suggested above, you can ask your doc for prescription strength anti-inflammatory drugs and pain relievers to see if that helps. Inflammation tends to "gel" chemically when present in a joint for a period of time and that causes more stiffness and pain. It often helps if you "break the inflammation up" periodically if you can stand the pressure. This simple device from Wally World can work wonders on a painful area, just gently massage the area increasing pressure as much as you can withstand, I keep one in my boat at all times and use it as often as you need.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gy...&wl13=&veh=sem

Good luck, BAM

9. Member
    I've psoriatic arthritis in my left foot. It hurts like hell sometimes. For me, wearing good athletic shoes helps a ton, and not just wearing when active, but even just around the house. Get some nice Asics, Brooks or New Balance from a specialty shoe store that will recommend a shoe that gives you the fit that you need.

If you drink a lot of diet sodas stop. My doc thinks I'm crazy on this part, but I was drinking 6-10 diet cokes a day, and I saw an article on Facebook (so it has to be true) about diet drinks causing joint pain. I quit the sodas cold turkey, and within a month, my foot pain was probably 75% better. A couple of times over the last 2 years I've started back with 1-2 cokes, and I can feel it in my joints, so I cut them back out. It may not be a factor for you, but wanted to toss out that experience.

If if its hurting get the shot, when I've done it, it helps for about 6 months to a year.

Good luck!!

I have it in my left big toe. I used to get gout and thought I had another bout of it last fall. The usual gout meds were not working so went to the podiatrist and found out that I have degeneration (loss of soft tissue) in the joint. The podiatrist said it’s too late for supports etc. so he gave me a shot which helped immediately, but will only last 5-6 months. The shots or surgery are the only options for me I guess...

No doubt that the gout contributed to the issue over time. Also like Catfan said above, weight gain surely didn’t help in my case.

2009 LEGEND ALPHA 211/MERCURY 250 PRO XS

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BAM View Post
    Sir Fishalot,

Some of this has been mentioned above. Had it for 30 years with multiple foot joint fusion surgeries. A key is to find out "what type of arthritis" is afflicting you, there are over a 100 types and different meds help alleviate different types. If it is just general arth from age or wear and tear, then you know better how to treat it. Basically there are meds to reduce the inflammation and meds to alleviate the pain, if over the counter is not working then as suggested above, you can ask your doc for prescription strength anti-inflammatory drugs and pain relievers to see if that helps. Inflammation tends to "gel" chemically when present in a joint for a period of time and that causes more stiffness and pain. It often helps if you "break the inflammation up" periodically if you can stand the pressure. This simple device from Wally World can work wonders on a painful area, just gently massage the area increasing pressure as much as you can withstand, I keep one in my boat at all times and use it as often as you need.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gy...&wl13=&veh=sem

Good luck, BAM

thanks BAM,
    never thought about the foot massager deal,but i'm differently going to give that a try.

I have lived with degenerative arthritis deterioration since my 20's. Now 60. Feet knees and back pain always began two to three hours into a day of fishing. Tried all types of remedies from meds to shoes. Finally, started wearing good arch supports and good hiking boots whenever i was in the boat. The combination of a good solid platform from the hiking boots and arch supports performed admirably in lengthening the time the pain began and reducing the the pain at the end of an 10 hour day on the boat, up to four days of practice and tourney days.
    This is my experience. As a sufferer of arthritis. I truly believe standing on a solid platform whatever that might be for you (experiment on your own) has helped diminish my pain tremendously.

Still experimenting at trying to reduce pain in hands wrists and elbows and shoulders while fishing.

Good Luck! Hope you find solution to live with your situation.

See You At The Top
    "SEE YOU AT THE TOP"

13. Member
    I have it also, and it varies a lot from day to day. I saw a large lump on the front of my shin two weeks ago, a couple inches below my knee, so I went to the doctor. After several x-rays, he told me I had a condition, where the smaller bone in the leg pulled away with the tendon that attaches to the knee. Hurts and swells up if I try to stand and fish, so it's the chair for sure.

My prayers go out to you guys and gals with arthritis. My grandfather had rheumatoid arthritis in both feet at age 23. I know life was hard for him, but he always kept a cheerful disposition. Good luck and God bless.
    The best way to cheer yourself up is to cheer up someone else.

15. Member
    My cardiologist put me on this and it helped me a bunch. It is cheap easy try to see if it helps.
    I was complaining of arthritis hurting my feet and he told me this.
    That statin drugs we take for cholesterol in some folks delete some type muscle enzyme
    and that gives you foot/ankle pain making arthritis worse . He said there is an over the counter drug called CO Q 10
    that helps many people. It comes 100, 200 and 300 mg strengths. I take the 200.
    and have seen good results. You can buy at Wally world, Costco, or any drug store.
    I think price is around $20 for 100 day supply. I had to take about 2 months before I knew
    it was helping me. I know it won't help all but worth a try!

for anyone that has Arthritis in their feet, what have you found to manage the pain while fishing?
    I wear inserts from Aetrex in all my footwear and I take diclofenac a few times a week