Any new ideas Keel guard

I have new rt198. Really want a keel guard to protect the paint I’ve read the older post About they not made for aluminum boats But guts on this site pretty good about figuring it out. So anyone have any ideas. Thx

2. Member
    Spray on bed liner material?

3. BBC SPONSOR
    keelshield's product works, I am going to install one next week. Call them, they will walk you through it.
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    I have had a keelshield on my xpress for 3 years now. It may not work on raw aluminum, but these hulls are painted.
    2015 Xpress X19/ Yamaha VMAX 175 SHO

I put a Keelshield on my little Cherokee several years ago and it's still there. Just glued it on and put a seam of pure silicone around the front so it would not be probe to separate.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

6. Member
    Trying to figure out what size to get. I have a Tracker 190TX. Op and I would probably get the same length size so I'm sure he doesn't mind if I thread jack :)
    2018 Tracker 190 TX
    Torqeedo 10.0
    Humminbird Helix 12 G4N MDI+/SI+
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80

7. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cp3434 View Post
    I have new rt198. Really want a keel guard to protect the paint I’ve read the older post About they not made for aluminum boats But guts on this site pretty good about figuring it out. So anyone have any ideas. Thx
    I asked my Dealer what they thought about these on my 198, he advised me to avoid it for fear that it may not adhere properly i.e. voids due to the geometry of the keel / hull. The voids will most likely take on water, etc... and eventually loose adhesion, and then you are left w/ a real mess. After that discussion, i dismissed the idea of using one; however, if someone does it and it is a proven system, then I will re-consider the idea. The problem is, though, the test of time following the install... I don't even want to think about removing one is half on and half detached...
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

8. Member
    I emailed Keelguard; to say the least, they were very responsive and were very honest. They recommended against putting on their product due to the reinforced rib that could cause issues with the guard adhering to the surface. Makes sense.

They did state that others have gotten by using their product by slicing the guard and putting on the strips around the rib. Don't know how beneficial that would be.

Regardless, their customer service was amazing and if I do in fact try to experiment, I will use their product to do so considering their great service.
    2018 Tracker 190 TX
    Torqeedo 10.0
    Humminbird Helix 12 G4N MDI+/SI+
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman25 View Post
    keelshield's product works, I am going to install one next week. Call them, they will walk you through it.
    Did you complete the install? would be interested to see pictures of the end result and how it's working out for you. Thanks
    2018 Ranger RT198P
    Mercury 150 4-Stroke