Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

2. Member
    So I been looking to repower with a verado and my Merc Guy has got to drive this new 250 4 stroke mercury is coming out with. It is lighter than the present 250 Pro XS. It is a 3.4L block and comes in at 52 lbs less than the Pro XS. He told me that the price is about 1500 more than a Pro XS. So I’m waiting for this bad boy to come out. It will be a v6 motor as well no V8.
    Stratos 201 Pro Elite, Evinrude 200 Etec H.O., Minn Kota, Humminbird

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba201proxl View Post
    So I been looking to repower with a verado and my Merc Guy has got to drive this new 250 4 stroke mercury is coming out with. It is lighter than the present 250 Pro XS. It is a 3.4L block and comes in at 52 lbs less than the Pro XS. He told me that the price is about 1500 more than a Pro XS. So I’m waiting for this bad boy to come out. It will be a v6 motor as well no V8.
    Holy crap, I'm hoping he's wrong/has no clue.
    The Evinrude G2 2-stroke is a 3.4L, it would destroy a normally aspirated 3.4L 4-stroke.

waiting on the 250, but has anyone got any numbers on the 225?

5. Member
    Need to up the discplacement by stroking or larger cylinders or both.

3.8 Could be adequate maybe?

250 V8? should cost about the same as a car motor

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by xb03fs View Post
    Need to up the discplacement by stroking or larger cylinders or both.

3.8 Could be adequate maybe?
    Not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    Not even close.
    Yamaha had a 3.3 250 for years. It can be done, but wouldn't be able to compete with a newer SHO or Etec

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 21xTriton05 View Post
    Yamaha had a 3.3 250 for years. It can be done, but wouldn't be able to compete with a newer SHO or Etec
    The 3.3 was a low performance 250. The SHO is a 4.2L, and would be better off if it was bigger.
    There's a reason why it takes a 450 4-stroke to run in the same class with a 250 2-stroke in the motocross world.

10. Member
    The 3.3 was a low performance 250. The SHO is a 4.2L, and would be better off if it was bigger.
    There's a reason why it takes a 450 4-stroke to run in the same class with a 250 2-stroke in the motocross world.
    I’m not sure I would underestimate mercury racing.

A 2.5 Mercury 280 will still outperform the current 3 liter optimaxes everywhere but at the gas station. I a small block can be made to run hard mercury can do if.

Mercury is home of the most powerful 4 stoke inboards powering all of the big catermarans and v bottoms. I think this is forgotten at times. They are not new to 4 stroke high performance.

http://www.mercuryracing.com/sterndr...ngines/1550-2/

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by xb03fs View Post
    I’m not sure I would underestimate mercury racing.

A 2.5 Mercury 280 will still outperform the current 3 liter optimaxes everywhere but at the gas station. I a small block can be made to run hard mercury can do if.

Mercury is home of the most powerful 4 stoke inboards powering all of the big catermarans and v bottoms. I think this is forgotten at times. They are not new to 4 stroke high performance.

http://www.mercuryracing.com/sterndr...ngines/1550-2/
    In order to be the best in class, they need to accelerate and run as fast as the Etec G2, with it's 3.4L 2-stroke engine, AND be able to hold up running at WOT for hours, and last several thousand hours. There is no replacement for displacement.

12. Member
    In order to be the best in class, they need to accelerate and run as fast as the Etec G2, with it's 3.4L 2-stroke engine, AND be able to hold up running at WOT for hours, and last several thousand hours. There is no replacement for displacement.
    Knowing OMC's past with their longevity (FICHT ring a bell?) I would have to see an ETEC with a thousand troublefree hours, much less several thousand, in order to put any credence to that remark, IMHO

FWIW , no one will ever question ANY two-strokes ability to turn RPM's and go fast vs. a four-stroke. But the future is coming (if not already here) and change is a fact...whether we (want/agree with) it or not.

13. Member
    I couldn’t hold my boat wot for an hour straight. Not many 90+ mile long lakes. I can cruise 75/80 well below wot depending on what prop I’m running. Typically don’t like to stay above 85/90 more than a few miles.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AUTimbo View Post
    Knowing OMC's past with their longevity (FICHT ring a bell?) I would have to see an ETEC with a thousand troublefree hours, much less several thousand, in order to put any credence to that remark, IMHO

FWIW , no one will ever question ANY two-strokes ability to turn RPM's and go fast vs. a four-stroke. But the future is coming (if not already here) and change is a fact...whether we (want/agree with) it or not.
    But the expectation will be that they should last several thousand hours.
    I would much prefer to add more displacement and maybe a little weight in order to own a motor that isn't stressed when putting out 250hp.

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I would much prefer to add more displacement and maybe a little weight in order to own a motor that isn't stressed when putting out 250hp.
    You can expect this to be the case with all "new" Outboard Models.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post

17. Member

I concur wholeheartedly

18. Member
    I heard we will find out MAY 16th.

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Thank you sir

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman6965 View Post
    If that's the case, sounds like a 600 pound motor to me
    505 lbs

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast