Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    More parts to break, heavier I don't see any advantage to a V8 today to make 250hp.

Don't need a V8 to make 250 hp other than more mass torque might be the only advantage but the weight would wash that.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

2. Member
    Any speculation on when now if at all this year.........I’m sad was hoping the bugs get worked out so I can get one next year!

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I've learned not to count the cowlings before they're "hatched"... so I'm saying that I'm not saying anything.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    really expected a new platform to drop at the classic
    Nitro2023 triton allure 250 proxs
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

Is it just me but does releasing a new engine line up to 225 hp but not a 250 seem to be a real miss? Like Mercury thought, well nobody uses 250s so we’ll just ignore that.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Quote Originally Posted by 12many View Post
    really expected a new platform to drop at the classic
    Me too, What is the next big event to show the 250? Its gotta exist.

Maybe they need to get rid of some power heads and lowers before they release a new 250 model.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

7. Member
    Heard it's a V8 250.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonJT View Post
    Heard it's a V8 250.
    Why though? Could they not figure out how to make enough torque to compete with the sho on a 6 cylinder platform?

9. Member
    Their coming, be patient grasshopper
    Last edited by jjtriton; 04-04-2018 at 09:31 AM.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wackyjig View Post
    Why though? Could they not figure out how to make enough torque to compete with the sho on a 6 cylinder platform?
    Guess they figure if they have a V6 225 that weighs 40lbs less than an Opti, they could stack two more cylinders on top, and still match the weight of the Opti. There is no replacement for displacement.

11. Member
    My GUESS is it’ll be a V8 250 and 300 lineup that’ll rival or better other 250/300 motor weights. The 250 will run on regular gas, not premium. The 300 will take premium or 89 and be lighter than any other 300 fourstroke out there. Maybe even a 350 in the lineup that runs on premium if the 300 runs on 89.

12. Banned
    They should be building a 250+ engine with at least 4.8L displacement to compete with other offerings AND to last a long time w/o breaking. IMO.

13. Member
    I heard it’s gonna be a 2 bank radial.

Quote Originally Posted by Wackyjig View Post
    Merc obviously has it together shedding weight. Other than the 150 and 175 these new engines have been lighter then the optis they replaced. Im sure they have no problem getting the power out of a v6 but if it is a v8 im sure there is a reason. And plus think of how muh more torque it will have over a v6. Holeshot will be insane along with throttle response.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

15. Member
    I’ve heard that the 3.0 L4 is capable of monster horsepower. Longer stroke inlines can make gobs of torque and still turn pretty high. Ferrari makes some small displacement v8’s that scream but they’re 180° or flat plane cranks. They scream but are pretty down on torque. I’m of the opinion that plenty of torque can be made with a direct injected vvt v6 especially if they use variable length intake runners.

Quote Originally Posted by jjtriton View Post
    I will be in Florida at Lake X Monday and Tuesday checking out the new 4/stroke mercs. I will let you guys know what I can find out.

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by swolt45 View Post
    I’ve heard that the 3.0 L4 is capable of monster horsepower. Longer stroke inlines can make gobs of torque and still turn pretty high. Ferrari makes some small displacement v8’s that scream but they’re 180° or flat plane cranks. They scream but are pretty down on torque. I’m of the opinion that plenty of torque can be made with a direct injected vvt v6 especially if they use variable length intake runners.
    When you are running a motor that could be asked to run at WOT for an hour or more, there is no replacement for displacement (or power adders).
    You can build an inline 4 3.0 that puts out 500hp, if you want to. It would last about 5 minutes running at WOT on the water.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    When you are running a motor that could be asked to run at WOT for an hour or more, there is no replacement for displacement (or power adders).
    You can build an inline 4 3.0 that puts out 500hp, if you want to. It would last about 5 minutes running at WOT on the water.
    I for one would like a high revving 250/300 version of the new 4 stroke WITH a sportmaster. And some noise.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21xTriton05 View Post
    Agreed but we aren’t talking about 500 hp. 3 liters is considered fairly large for a 4 cyl

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    Agreed but we aren’t talking about 500 hp. And 3 liters is fairly large for a 4 cylinder

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast