Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ZX200 vs Phoenix 819

I’ve narrowed down my next boat to these two boats. Anyone have any first hand experience with these two to provide a fair comparison?

2. Member
    Unfortunatly you wont get the real answer you are looking for. There will be bias here for Skeeter, and bias for Poenix over there. One thing to note is that many compare Skeeters, in your case pre 2016 for the Zx200, which has been changed greatly. So they are not quite accurate.

3. Banned
    As an unbiased observer I was always really impressed with the triton trx 19

4. Scraps
    I made the same decision two years ago. At the time the reported issues of quality scared me away. I'll say this, I like the looks of the Skeeter better, like the FX trailer over the Phoenix. I'd also say probably a slightly better price on the bug.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

5. Member
    I have never ridden in a Phoenix but I have in a ZX200 many times. The ride is great in the ZX200, speed in the upper 60's and the SHO is awesome!
    I was looking at both models as well but in the end chose the 2018 ZX200. A few things to consider, which you may already have.

The Phoenix is lighter
    The Phoenix doesn't come with a Fortrex trolling motor the Skeeter does, however you can't upgrade the Skeeter trolling motor to an Ultrex from the factory, I purchased an Ultrex and will put it on myself with credit for the Fortrex.
    Both come with the same so so graphs, I chose to use a different brand. With Skeeter you can't order the boat (at least from my dealer) with none or different brand graphs.
    Skeeter comes with one Power Pole from the factory.
    Phoenix has bigger fuel tank and bilge pump and more available options but the Skeeter has pretty much everything you need out of the box (battery charger, Hamby keel guard and so on)

Lastly and most important at least to me. If you want a Yamaha SHO motor you probably won't get the Phoenix from the factory any time soon and possibly even the Skeeter but you will have a better chance with the Skeeter.

Good luck in your search!
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

6. Member
    I made a similar choice in 2016...I was looking at the 20 ft models though...I did a huge amount of research before my purchase...as both boats were considered highly as I had looked at all major brands and had narrowed it down to Skeeter and Phoenix. It finally came down to money. The Skeeter gave me a lot more for my buck. Both boats for the most part looked and handled well. They both had very minor cosmetic flaws in the gel coat as most boats do...after all they are made at the hands of humans. I was able to add a second power pole, a second console, and got the SHO Yamaha with an extended warranty, a nice factory boat cover, a more powerful 36 volt trolling motor, and a better torsion axle trailer...all for a bit less than the comparable Phoenix without these added options. I feel that after a year now...I still made the right choice...my Skeeter ZX225 is a very nice boat. I have owned several brands of bass boats and flats boats over the years...which by the way consist of 30 years of never being without a boat! Procraft, Lowe, Key West Stealth, Big-O(hand made to order out of Okeechobee City Florida), Legend, and now my Skeeter...I have rode in many more as well...Triton, Ranger, Bullet, Bass Cat, Alison, Gambler, Champion, and Stratos. It would be safe to say that I am not bias...You'll love the Skeeter! Good luck in making the right choice for yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by edw View Post
    I made a similar choice in 2016...I was looking at the 20 ft models though...I did a huge amount of research before my purchase...as both boats were considered highly as I had looked at all major brands and had narrowed it down to Skeeter and Phoenix. It finally came down to money. The Skeeter gave me a lot more for my buck. Both boats for the most part looked and handled well. They both had very minor cosmetic flaws in the gel coat as most boats do...after all they are made at the hands of humans. I was able to add a second power pole, a second console, and got the SHO Yamaha with an extended warranty, a nice factory boat cover, a more powerful 36 volt trolling motor, and a better torsion axle trailer...all for a bit less than the comparable Phoenix without these added options. I feel that after a year now...I still made the right choice...my Skeeter ZX225 is a very nice boat. I have owned several brands of bass boats and flats boats over the years...which by the way consist of 30 years of never being without a boat! Procraft, Lowe, Key West Stealth, Big-O(hand made to order out of Okeechobee City Florida), Legend, and now my Skeeter...I have rode in many more as well...Triton, Ranger, Bullet, Bass Cat, Alison, Gambler, Champion, and Stratos. It would be safe to say that I am not bias...You'll love the Skeeter! Good luck in making the right choice for yourself!
    You forgot the best part. You can take your hands off the wheel at wide open and the boat will tracks straight as an arrow.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

8. Member
    NO CHINE

9. Member
    The left to right stability of a Skeeter is what keeps it on my list of boats to buy. During blast off this weekend, I was running beside another through the wakes. I didn't have to back off. That other boat did, and it 21' 5" long with 99" beam.

10. Member
    Maybe the other guy didn’t know you were racing??

11. Member
    it wasn't my 21i

Almost sold my 2013 ZX200 to buy a new Phoenix 819 this year. Love the handling of the Skeeter. I am not a fan of the compartments and smaller Livewell even though I have only had one fish lost. Good Luck on your decision. Both I are great options. BTW, I would buy a new ZX200 now because of the compartment lay out. Love the new design.

Dan

13. Member
    Thanks for all the replies, sounds like I can’t go wrong with either one

14. Scraps
    PS, I can also say, if I had my decision to make over, I may be a little more on the Skeeter side now based on price and largely the SHO. The SHO now based on the added expense of Mercs ext3ended warranty which is steep.
    2017 Phoenix 819

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    PS, I can also say, if I had my decision to make over, I may be a little more on the Skeeter side now based on price and largely the SHO. The SHO now based on the added expense of Mercs ext3ended warranty which is steep.
    Mercury is offering a promotion right now where you can get the extended warranty similar to the Yamaha promotion going on, which is partly the reason I chose to buy my ZX200 now. http://go5.mercurymarine.com/

16. Scraps
    That's the same deal I got in 2016. But to get a full warranty out to five years and beyond it's $1000s more.
    2017 Phoenix 819

17. Member
    Granted this was 8 years ago I looked at the phoenix real hard, first and foremost I just was not impressed with the build quality it was just not on par with skeeter. I did not like how it handled primarily because I don't like having to drive a boat it should be easy like a skeeter and a ranger, I can let go of the wheel at 70 and it runs straight. But then again I am not a speed demon 72mph is fine with me I don't need 76mph and have to white knuckle it everywhere I go. If speed is your thing I would look real hard at a basscat they have build quality that is second to none.

Both great boats - the "build" quality is every bit as good on the Phoenix. The "trim" work is better on the Skeeter because there are more machine aluminum parts and molded dash panels which is nice. I can tell you that you have narrowed it down to the two best boats out there for ride IMO. I went with a Phoenix because they stopped making the I class which I loved. You really can't go wrong with either. As mentioned above the Skeeter will drive easier and the Phoenix will require a little more input, however with the right setup and a hydraulic plate this difference can be made very minimal. Regarding trailers my Skeeter trailer was nice and now they make their own which should be an improvement. I will say that my Phoenix trailer is unbelievably smooth and one seldom mentioned benefit to it is that the boat sits much lower to the ground on it, making it tow better but also much easier to get in and out of, or into compartments.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meleagris1 View Post
    Both great boats - the "build" quality is every bit as good on the Phoenix. The "trim" work is better on the Skeeter because there are more machine aluminum parts and molded dash panels which is nice. I can tell you that you have narrowed it down to the two best boats out there for ride IMO. I went with a Phoenix because they stopped making the I class which I loved. You really can't go wrong with either. As mentioned above the Skeeter will drive easier and the Phoenix will require a little more input, however with the right setup and a hydraulic plate this difference can be made very minimal. Regarding trailers my Skeeter trailer was nice and now they make their own which should be an improvement. I will say that my Phoenix trailer is unbelievably smooth and one seldom mentioned benefit to it is that the boat sits much lower to the ground on it, making it tow better but also much easier to get in and out of, or into compartments.
    Said by a guy that owns a Phoenix, got to be better......NOT

Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    Said by a guy that owns a Phoenix, got to be better......NOT
    Read through my 6 years of posts on this forum about my 2010 Skeeter 20i - I am a still a huge Skeeter fan and I put that boat through its paces and loved it. Switching brands was an extremely difficult decision that I made after several years of research and the realization that Skeeter was not bringing the I Class back.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast