Wire color to battery terminals in my R91

I recently purchased a Ranger R-91 Intra Coastal model with a 200 EFI Mercury. The boat only had one trolling motor battery in it when I bought it, and it was in the aft position. The trolling motor is a 12/24 volt motor guide. There are four wires in the back where the batteries are located. Red, orange, white and black. The black wire was connected to the negative terminal of the one aft battery, everything else was not connected. I tried to connect the red wire to the positive terminal on the one aft battery, but it sparked violently, so I stopped. I need help determining which wire goes where. I have two batteries to install, I just don't know how the wires get connected. Hopefully someone can help me out, I wanna take this boat fishing soon.

I think I have it figured out with some help from the previous owner. The aft battery gets the red wire on positive, and the black wire on negative. The forward battery gets the orange wire on positive and the white wire on negative. The red and orange wires have boots to cover the entire terminal which is the norm for positive battery connections, so I think this will work. I'll find out in the morning.

3. Member
    I have a wiring diagram on my rear hatch
    it would have that info clearly shown

if you dont, maybe a call to ranger parts, they could send you one to help this issue and any future wiring questions

PM sent

My orange is connected to a breaker and goes to the trolling motor disconnect. Send me your email address if you do not have a wiring diagram.

Thanks Larry, that’s what I needed. Red/black to the aft battery, and orange/white to the forward battery. It works now, I’m one step closer to going fishing!